You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Raise river for value, or just call fine?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Should i raise the river here, or is a call fine? He check-min raises the flop, and then checks the turn after i call the raise, should i be confident enough that i have the best hand to raise the river for value? Or what about betting the turn after he checks to me? I checked behind as I didn't want to get check-raised again, i have no reads on opponent he had just joined the table.

Seat 1: Elizabethhh (£4.30 in chips)
Seat 3: adrian6661 (£1.08 in chips)
Seat 5: Me (£4.12 in chips)
Seat 6: cobobandit (£5.02 in chips)
Seat 8: Saci2587 (£3.87 in chips)
Seat 10: tichinha88 (£5.06 in chips)

cobobandit: SB £0.02
Saci2587: BB £0.04

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Me [Ac Kc]

tichinha88: Fold
Elizabethhh: Fold
adrian6661: Fold
Me: Raise To £0.12
cobobandit: Fold
Saci2587: Call £0.08

*** FLOP *** [7d Ks 5c]

Saci2587: Check
Me: Bet £0.15
Saci2587: Raise To £0.30
Me: Call £0.15

*** TURN *** [Jc]

Saci2587: Check
Me: Check

*** RIVER *** [9h]

Saci2587: Bet £0.20
Me: Call £0.20

Don't really know why i'm so fussed about this hand, just thought i could have played it better somehow lol.

Comments

• edited March 2013

Wasn't your name Skeg_Poker? How did you get it changed?

Pre-flop is fine.

The flop bet is fine and I quite like calling the min-raise readless. We don't want to be 3-betting, get 4-bet and be clueless about where we are.

When he checks the turn I think we have to bet. We don't know what his check-raise range on the flop is but we have just picked up a huge amount of extra equity with the nut-flush draw. He might check-raise us again and we'll have to decide whether we want to get it in based on the size of his raise and the amount back but we definitely shouldn't simply assume that he's going to check-raise again.

Having checked the turn we've heavily under-repped our hand so when he bets the river we can consider raising. We would have to be raise-folding of course, because he's unlikely to 3-bet with worse. It would be fairly thin value.

I don't mind how you've played the river to be honest because you get to see his hand. Knowing what he plays in this manner can be very valuable. If he shows you a set of fives, for example, you'll know he check-raises big hands on dry boards on both flop and turn (because you can now assume that was his intent for the turn).

I definitely think you should value-bet the turn.

• edited March 2013
    I made a new account on here since i was having trouble logging into my old account, i didn't have any money or anything in my old account and i couldn't be bothered asking live chat for help haha, it was just easier to make a new account, since i don't really play here anyway lol.

And yes, i thought i should have bet the turn after it was checked to me, don't know why I checked behind, think I just wanted to keep the pot small as i didn't have a clue what he had lol.

One of my reasons for just calling the river bet was to see his hand and make a note, he had king 10 off suit so at least i know now he min-raises the flop with top pair lol.
  • edited March 2013
    did u win the hand?i think when he checked the turn,another half pot bet would give u more info + u had the nut flush draw.if u got a call or raise at this stage,u know u are up against a good hand.yours is a strong hand ,also,so calling on the river would have been the right move then.caution was the best policy
  • edited March 2013
    Yes i won the hand, he had K10off, so i had him outkicked lol. Thanks for the comments everyone, much appreciated.