You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Here's a bad beat.

Now my copy and pasting of pictures clearly isn't up to scratch but if you have a look you'll still get the gist. (I'll also explain/moan in my own words).

It's to qualify for the 1st UKOPS mian event tonight. I'm on 8387 chips and you can see and as a rule of thumb I need to get to around 10000 to qualify but currently 6th out of 17 with the top 10 qualifying.

I'm the BB 600 chips, the button calls as does the SB and I check with 5 4. the flop comes, 2 4 4 and I'm pretty damn happy. 2 things are going through my mind, I don't need a big win as I'm pretty near the finish line however I've got trips so I'm betting but I can't slow play as 2 daimonds on the board, I don't need the risk I'll shut this down early. SB checks, I go all in thinking a drawing hand won't bother but high cards or a pocker pair may be tempted.

The button folds and the SB takes a while. I think he's thinking whereas he thinks he's making me sweat as he's got a 4 in his hand. He turns over 4 3.  With my 5 being such a low kicker and a 2 being on the table already it looks like a spilt pot which is disappointing but still a win. A 3 on the river means he gets a full house and I'm out on a qualifying tournament that I made the effort to "play well" once I had some chips under my belt.

I enjoy playing and learning and I'm happy (sometimes to the dismay of others) to play loose and try different things. This was one occassion however where for once I didn't feel like I could blame myself or learn anything from it...boohoo

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
Baccus00 Small blind   300.00 300.00 9760.50
Marcusb169 Big blind   600.00 900.00 8387.50
  Your hole cards

eportlad91 Fold        
Hehehe Fold        
T_Dog82 Call   600.00 1500.00 8485.00
Baccus00 Call   300.00 1800.00 9460.50
Marcusb169 Check        
Flop

Baccus00 Check        
Marcusb169 All-in   8387.50 10187.50 0.00
T_Dog82 Fold        
Baccus00 Call   8387.50 18575.00 1073.00
Baccus00 Show

Marcusb169 Show

Turn

River

Baccus00 Win Full House, 4s and 3s 18575.00   19648.00

Comments

• edited March 2013
    going to split soo often, hardly a bad beat. Im amazed you got called ahead
  • edited March 2013
    I don't really like just shoving the flop but either way it's a pretty horrible runout.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Here's a bad beat.:
    going to split soo often, hardly a bad beat. Im amazed you got called ahead
    Posted by The_Don90

It didn't split he hit the full house!
  • edited March 2013
    I don't really like just shoving the flop but either way it's a pretty horrible runout.
    Posted by Lambert180
    What would you have done under these circumstances?

If someone else had got there money in the middle would you have folded?

I think the chances of us both having a 4 are too slim too fold but once I saw his lower kicker I felt ahead and then got it taken away.

Should I expect this to happen a lot?
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: Here's a bad beat. : It didn't split he hit the full house!
    Posted by Marcusb169
    Thats being results orientated. I was saying in the long run. You have to hit your 5 to win the hand he has to hit his 3 to win the hand. More often than not a card higher than a 5 will land on turn and river therefore neither kicker will play. Therefore around 76% of the time its going to be a split. 12% he will win, 12% you will win.

• edited March 2013
    Yeah but I think the point your missing Don is that villian isn't always gonna have 4x too.

@Marcus - The problem with shoving is that you make LOADS of worse hands fold that would call a bet. For instance if I'm sat there as the opponent with 55 and you bet 1000 I will continue with the hand, if you shove, I'll snap fold.

If I thought I could possibly fold and make the top 10 and someone just shoved the flop, I might be super nitty and fold cos I don't even wanna see him sat with 2 diamonds really if I don't need to take a race like that near the bubble of a satellite.

I'd just make a reasonable bet of 900-1000 and would call if he shoved on me cos I'd be expecting him to shove with loads of PPs bigger than the board like 7s and we're a big favourite against all of them.

Really because you both have the 4, I think it's gonna be very hard for either of you to get away from it at any point. I only suggest not shoving because the times he hasn't got a 4 but he has like 55+ or even AK/AQ, you might be able to get a few chips out of him to make things a bit more comfortable in folding to a seat.
  • edited March 2013
    Yeah but I think the point your missing Don is that villian isn't always gonna have 4x too. @Marcus - The problem with shoving is that you make LOADS of worse hands fold that would call a bet. For instance if I'm sat there as the opponent with 55 and you bet 1000 I will continue with the hand, if you shove, I'll snap fold. If I thought I could possibly fold and make the top 10 and someone just shoved the flop, I might be super nitty and fold cos I don't even wanna see him sat with 2 diamonds really if I don't need to take a race like that near the bubble of a satellite. I'd just make a reasonable bet of 900-1000 and would call if he shoved on me cos I'd be expecting him to shove with loads of PPs bigger than the board like 7s and we're a big favourite against all of them. Really because you both have the 4, I think it's gonna be very hard for either of you to get away from it at any point. I only suggest not shoving because the times he hasn't got a 4 but he has like 55+ or even AK/AQ, you might be able to get a few chips out of him to make things a bit more comfortable in folding to a seat.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Paul i wasnt desputing that. I was explaining why this isn't a bad beat. 

The play i dislike but you explain in much better terms than i ever will.