You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

FAO Sky - Community Wednesday

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
I've let it go for a few weeks now to see if things would be changed etc but think it's probably time to speak up now.

The structures in pretty much all of the community Wednesday games are some of the worst structures I've ever seen. I understand some people want them quicker, and I'm a massive fan of turbo tournaments but I suspect the numbers have went down on account of the structures being awful.

The first week I played, I got down to the final 10 of a tournament, was 2nd in chips and had 7xBB.

I know someone else who has just got down to the very deep stages of a tournament where the average stack was about 7xBB. I've always a firm believer in there still being an edge in shorter stack play (I play alot of HU Hypers for instance) but some of these tournaments are complete crapshoots.

Personally I have no intention of playing them again as they are. Does anyone else agree or am I just being a moaner

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Sigh, ^^^ that was me.
  • edited March 2013
    I agree m8. I love turbo mtts, but isnt that what Turbo Tuesdays are for. Give it a balance on a night thats meant to be a community night. Not quite as much as DTD as thats the complete opposite. 

Ive only played this once due to commitments so maybe this isn't fully my subject 
  • edited March 2013
    I don't have a problem with them being Turbos, I love Turbos, but these aint Turbos, these are just insane.
  • edited March 2013
    I am a micro player and as soon as buy-in's drop below a certain level you are expected to play shove fest poker and be grateful.
    Sorry that's not for me.
    Played a few the first week hated it,not played them again and not planning on changing that.
  • edited March 2013
    OK, I'm going to offer some balance here having just spent the last hour completing the results table for what I consider a woefully undersubscrided league given the added value Sky have offered.

Paul, you are completely wrong, the games you are refering to are absolutely turbos, what they aren't are HU sng turbos, which changes the dynamic somewhat and of course the average stack size is going to get squeezed and of course there will be an element of a crapshoot, but this is the case at a certain point in almost every MTT I've ever played.

Also..... there is a deepstack included, there are normal structured tournaments included, but these actually get less entries than the 'crazy' structures you refer to.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see the idea developed further and I'd like to see some of the games changed if possible, but what is supposed to be at the heart of this and what is absolutely missed by your post is a good fun evening to be enjoyed by the community.  All that derisive posts like yours do is to undermine the hard work and effort that others have done to try to keep this incentive going.

As a side note, you look at the players that have won prizes over the weeks that this has run and I think it absolutely shoots down your arguement that the games are nothing but crapshoots.  As in all variations of the game, the skill of the player is in adapting to the game, if you are unable to do that, it is not the games fault!

btw..... you may have noticed I'm quite annoyed having spent a night in front of my computer for the good of this community that I would have rather spent with my wife.
  • edited March 2013
    i played my first community wednesday last night.

i totally agree that the structures and timings on some games need tweaking, it is a fun night for the forum and has a lot of runners (shame not all register in forum for the added value of prizes).

if tweaked this would bring in more players, maybe starting at 5-6p.m and having a tourny every hour till 11p.m would work better, it would mean only 6 games but wouldnt be so mad (one time had 5 games on the go)

slykllist does a great job on the league table front and should be praised for this, also maxally for trying to bring in more players, but if going to be a sucsess we need more to register on forum.

gl all at the tables
  • edited March 2013
    I'm sorry in the sense that I didn't mean to undermine the work you and others do for competitions like this. I agree there's great added value from Sky and it should definitely be about the fun.

Perhaps I could have worded it a bit better, and I'm by no means trying to rubbish the idea or even all of the games, it's just a few of the games involved leave very little room for poker imo. Most will know I'm not usually one to moan about tournies which are shove or fold and there's a perfectly good edge against most fields when we're all even as shallow as 10-12xBB deep but if there is an edge with avg stack size of 5xBB, then it's razor thin.

Given the example I used above where I was 2nd out of the remaining 10 and had 7xBB, virtually the entire field had 2-3xBB. FWIW, this tournament also started with 100 runners so imo it's pretty rubbish to get through 90 players and pretty much have to rely on rungood to have any chance of closing it out. I'm all for adapting your game to different situations but I'd love to know a strategy to adopt assuming you don't pick up any hands (by short stack standards) for just 5-10 mins in a situation above where the BB should basically NEVER fold to any action.

• edited March 2013
    I Played for the First Time Ever last nite Weds.....

If Honest, I believe it needs a good tweek too!!

It felt Rushed, I got involved in too many tournies, and the rebuy situation in few of smaller Ones is frankly ridiculous!!!

I Know Maxally & Simon have thrown alot of work into keeping this going, & THEY SHOULD BE PRAISED & THANKED!!

Basically, I feel  it is a great idea!! But The Bombardment of options & variations is mind-numbing

I Have no clue how i done last nite, lol, think Rabbish if honest, and it prob best if people involved including Sky find a way to take the Heat & Rush out of it as i see NO Appeal in trying to play 10-16 tournies!!

It felt like Only 3/4 Regulars had a chance of winning as they were in ALL, & kept re-buying!!

I have experiance across many sporting fields...and this, SORRY, never felt like SPORT!!
    ......  [as the DTD does]!!!!

MAIN POINT....
    There is NO room for table chat or banter, SURLEY THE WHOLE ESSENCE OF COMMUNITY NITE!!

I am trying to be Constructive HERE, I hope this is taken as Such, as I feel in the middle of a rare clarity moment, lol, so allow me this indulgence, as I will tilt back to madness shortly...

People Vote with their feet....

The DTD gets 100+ registered community runners each Monday, who play great structured tournies with 200+ runners always!! Different Proposition I Know!

Questions???

1,  How many have regged on this each week, is trend up or down?
    2,  Who? & How? were tournies / Structures agreed, [By Scouse & Sky maybe]?
    3,  Who is Currently Decision making on this Community Night, with how much freedom?
    4,  Where does this hope to go?
    5,  Who T.F. was the anonymous OP, LOL, & Why Anon?
    6,  Will Lambert ever stop Moaning? lol
    7,  Will Arsenal Stay Up??
    8,  WHY?? Just saying..... I Blame Orford!!
  • edited March 2013
    No worries Paul, I was just tired and emotional last night after spending ages sorting out the results table.

I do agree with some of your points and think that there would be a definate benefit to tweaking some of the structures.

I disagree to some degree with HITMAN though, you don't have to play them all, the league format requires you to play a minimum of 6 out of a possible 16 which I feel is perfectly manageable if you select your games properly.  Also regarding rebuys, the .35p frenzy is actually one of my favourite games as a bit of fun and I've made profit every time I've played it, maybe it isn't everybodies cup of tea, but I wouldn't want to see it taken out.
  • edited March 2013
    Hey folks,

I've had a chat with Joe about this and we've managed to get some tweaks planned in for early next week. I imagine it would be the addition of a couple of extra levels later on in the turbos to allow more play.

If there's anything else drastic which you want, give us a shout and we'll see if we can get those squeaked in too - as I said, I think it will be structure changes at the tail end predominantly though.

Thanks all!
    Dave
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Community Wednesday:
    No worries Paul, I was just tired and emotional last night after spending ages sorting out the results table. I do agree with some of your points and think that there would be a definate benefit to tweaking some of the structures. I disagree to some degree with HITMAN though, you don't have to play them all, the league format requires you to play a minimum of 6 out of a possible 16 which I feel is perfectly manageable if you select your games properly.  Also regarding rebuys, the .35p frenzy is actually one of my favourite games as a bit of fun and I've made profit every time I've played it, maybe it isn't everybodies cup of tea, but I wouldn't want to see it taken out.
    Posted by Slykllist
    No Prob Mate, Disagreement & Debate will do this good!

If honest, i have had conly this One expriance of Community Night, so really I cannot say I really got jist, but felt my first experiance & feelings may help you!

I understand that only 4 results count from 16, but being the Competitive animal i am, i tried to play as many as poss!!

Remember the DTD is Only 2 results from 3....Maybe a pitch somewhere between the Two extemes, would suit More parties...Just a Suggestion!

Great Work, Stay Kool...

................and lets be careful out there!!!
  • edited March 2013

My 2 1/2p worth. This is only going to be a quick response as I am snowed in (no pun intended) at work trying to do month end.

I fully agree that if this night is to be continued, some tweaks will have to be made. However, as there has not been that much support shown from the community, it will need Sky Poker to intervene and try and come up with an improved format, with the assistance of the community members. This will probably not happen as you can not please all of the people all of the time and some of the responses I got last week were like 'its not Sky Poker's responsibility to do anything'.

I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Simon for taking on the task of updating the tables. It seems a massive job to do and he gets NO reward for it.

As it stands ATM, I am in doubt if it will run next week or not.
  • edited March 2013
    My 2 1/2p worth. This is only going to be a quick response as I am snowed in (no pun intended) at work trying to do month end. I fully agree that if this night is to be continued, some tweaks will have to be made. However, as there has not been that much support shown from the community, it will need Sky Poker to intervene and try and come up with an improved format, with the assistance of the community members. This will probably not happen as you can not please all of the people all of the time and some of the responses I got last week were like 'its not Sky Poker's responsibility to do anything'. I would like to say a big THANK YOU to Simon for taking on the task of updating the tables. It seems a massive job to do and he gets NO reward for it. As it stands ATM, I am in doubt if it will run next week or not.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    See my post above on the tweaks we'll make to help the structures. FWIW, I know Simon and yourself put in a good amount of effort to get this to work. We'll do what we can to help with the issues Paul outlined in the OP then we'll watch you and Slykllist work your magic :)
  • edited March 2013
    What is wrong with fast shovaments?  It's the only way I can win :)

yawn to the OP!

• edited March 2013

I only played last night for a bit of quick shoving fun, wouldn't want to play 6 long MTT's

The supercharger is too fast though

a couple of the other ones could do with being a little slower

but on the whole the £0-£3 MTT's are just cheap fun, and I wouldn't want to play a long MTT for such little reward - would rarther play cash

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: FAO Sky - Community Wednesday : See my post above on the tweaks we'll make to help the structures. FWIW, I know Simon and yourself put in a good amount of effort to get this to work. We'll do what we can to help with the issues Paul outlined in the OP then we'll watch you and Slykllist work your magic :)
    Posted by Sky_Dave

I will add my tweaks shortly then, but we have another smallish problem 1st to address.

Unfortunately, Simon is not available for the next TWO weeks to update the results table so IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE WHO WOULD LIKE TO VOLUNTEER TO TAKE IT ON??? Must be good with spreadsheets and have patience like a saint (which obv rules me out!)
  • edited March 2013
    Well seen as there should be tweaks next week, I'll put my name down to play it so I can give some feedback on the updates, AND, I'm happy to do the whole spreadsheet lark for it.

I'm a massive nerd so spreadsheets are my best friend ;)
  • edited March 2013
    I'll just add to the above.......

The spreadsheet is already set and I'd happily send it to / talk through the quickest way to compile the results if anyone is prepared to volunteer.
  • edited March 2013
    I'll just add to the above....... The spreadsheet is already set and I'd happily send it to / talk through the quickest way to compile the results if anyone is prepared to volunteer.
    Posted by Slykllist
    Well that sounds much easier :)

I'll do it if you wanna just PM me the spreadsheet on FB, and let me know how to find all the lobbies/results
  • edited March 2013
    Nice one Paul, I'll send the Spreadsheet over to you, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine with it.
  • edited March 2013

I will leave changing the structures to others, but I would like to see the following (if possible)

1) 5:15- £50 Community B/H- 35p buy-in
    2) 6:15- £75 Velocity- 55p
    3) 6:45- £100 Hurricane B/H- £1.15
    4) 7.00- £100 Two Pound Titan D/S 5000 chips 10 min blinds £2.20
    5) 7:15- £150 Lightening- £2.20
    6) 7:45- £200 Hurricane BH- £3.45
    7) 8:00- Main Event
    8) 8:15- Mini Event
    9) 8:30- £200 Hurricane BH- £3.45
    10) 8:45- £150 Supercharged- £2.20
    11) 9:00- Side Event
    12) 9:15- £100 Express- £1.10
    13) 9:45- £75 Blitz BH- 60p
    14) 9:55- £200 Tornado- £5.50
    15) 10:15- £50 Fearless- 35p
    16) 10:45- £200 Community BH- £5.75

a)Remove event 9 as it is essentially the same as event 6.
    b) Move event 14 to the time slot now free at 8.30. This is because this STARTS when the other tournaments are actually on a break and if players are still in one or two games, they defo need a 5 min break from the manic night of multi tabling.
    c) I know this will bring it down to 15 events, and not all micro players will be playing the Main, Mini or Side,but I still think it should  be a MIN of 6 events with best 4 scores counting. There will be still 12 events  in the schedule for all to play.

Can someone from Sky please confirm prizes from last night too please.

1st IDONKCALLU - Will this be a Sky Bounty hunter seat for the 4th April due to UKOPS?
    2nd Slykllist - DTD Entry. Please can this be deferred to when Simon is available? With the work he has put in, I hope that is ok.
    3rd Rancid - Entry to DTD night 1st April 2013. 

• edited March 2013
    Just to add to MAXALLY's post above, rather than taking out event 9, is there an opportunity to change it to a cheap, more standard clock (10 or 12 minute blinds) along the lines of DTD2 on Mondays as this seems to be what people are asking for?

Completely agree that event 14 could do with being moved so that players can get a break, but surely that could just be pushed back 5mins to a 10pm start?

If the structure of the speed games are tweaked too, hopefully we can get numbers up.
  • edited March 2013
    I love the Wednesday night games but would like to see a few slower structures in there.  Nothing majorly different but alittle more play would be nice.

Slykllist and Maxally do a great job.  Thanks guys!
  • edited March 2013
    I also like the number of games, I'd have more if anything.  It's good to spread them across the whole evening too as it keeps players on the site and gets them playing other games which leads to an increase in rake taken.  I 12 table cash at the same time as playing all the mtt's and its a nice distraction.
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    Right folks, I'll be doing the scores on the doors this week and hopefully Maxally is in charge of publicity :)

What time do we usually stop allowing people to register to take part Max?
  • edited April 2013
    Right folks, I'll be doing the scores on the doors this week and hopefully Maxally is in charge of publicity :) What time do we usually stop allowing people to register to take part Max?
    Posted by Lambert180

It will be 8pm prompt tomorrow night. I am just waiting to hear back from Sky Poker to see if there are any 'tweaks' before putting a new thread up for this week.

Thanks for stepping up to do the scores this week Paul.