You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How often do you fold aces pre flop..

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat

Hi all,

just a quick comment, I have just gone out again with pocket aces...

This time there were 4 players who acted before me and went all in (small tourny table)

A Q
10 10
K Q
7 10
Mine ACE ACE

FLOP                8 9 6 Rainbow

Turn                 2

River                6

I wish I folded my aces as this was the begining of the tournament (2nd Hand). The person who won it had 7 10 off and hit the str8 on flop.

In how many cases would you fold the aces, as I was soooo tempted to Fold them this time (wish I did).

And why would someone call with 7 10 off after an ALL IN + ALL IN + ALL IN

I am not one for moaning much, HONEST.. but...... PEOPLE WHO PLAY STUPID CARDS EXPECTING A MIRACLE FLOP GET A LIFE... I know in the long run the Aces will defeat the others 78% of the time but when IDIOTS like that call you have no idea where you are in the game.

Shanker1974

Comments

• edited December 2009
    In Response to How often do you fold aces pre flop..:
    Hi all, just a quick comment, I have just gone out again with pocket aces... This time there were 4 players who acted before me and went all in (small tourny table) A Q 10 10 K Q 7 10 Mine ACE ACE FLOP                8 9 6 Rainbow Turn                 2 River                6 I wish I folded my aces as this was the begining of the tournament (2nd Hand). The person who won it had 7 10 off and hit the str8 on flop. In how many cases would you fold the aces, as I was soooo tempted to Fold them this time (wish I did). And why would someone call with 7 10 off after an ALL IN + ALL IN + ALL IN I am not one for moaning much, HONEST.. but...... PEOPLE WHO PLAY STUPID CARDS EXPECTING A MIRACLE FLOP GET A LIFE... I know in the long run the Aces will defeat the others 78% of the time but when IDIOTS like that call you have no idea where you are in the game. Shanker1974
    Posted by shanker197
    fairly easy fold.
  • edited December 2009
      The main problem in this scenario is you are looking at it the wrong way. AA is at least 82% favourite against any 1 random hand but against 4 hands you would be less than 50% to win. You had the best hand but with that many all ins before you , you had to consider the possibility that both your aces that you are looking for are not in the deck.

So before making what would normally be an instacall with AA you should remember that in this scenario you are only in a coin flip. Do you want to risk your entire tournament on a coin flip at this stage.

People who play in the style of your table will go out very quickly and they should be either avoided or dealt with in isolation.AA as a hand works best in a 2 to the flop scenario, as soon as more get involved your odds drop.

• edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: How often do you fold aces pre flop..:
    In Response to How often do you fold aces pre flop.. : fairly easy fold.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    If in your situation. there was the chance of a straight beating you and all the all ins, fold, fold, fold.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi

4 players all in before you, I think, lowers your percentage chances of wining the hand, and increases the chances of being outdrawn
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to How often do you fold aces pre flop.. : fairly easy fold.
    Posted by LONGPLAY
    If in your situation. there was the chance of a straight beating you and all the all ins, fold, fold, fold.
  • edited December 2009
    EASY CALL... (assuming standard tourny not double your money or satellite), you want to go for the win and not scraping into the cash, good chance of winning and if you do you have a monster stack from the off.
  • edited December 2009
    Against those four particular hands the AA is still about 68% to win.
    If the four other hands were all different pocket pairs then the aces would be about 44%.
    Considering the pot equity that looks like a good call to me (but I like to gamble).
  • edited December 2009
    I always fold aces preflop at least once every two or three years!
  • edited December 2009
    i have never folded them myself,but would consider it in an extreme situation.Speank of the devild i havent had them in a while :s
  • edited December 2009
    It's probably safe to fold them against one opponant, so against 4 it's a fairly easy decision.
  • edited December 2009
    Thats it though, It wasnt so much as being up against other pairs it was a muppet who call 3 ALL INS with 7 10 off suit.

I guessed I was prob up against a top pair and something like A K, but who the heck calls with 7 10 off with 3 all ins pre flop before him?????????????????/

Shanker1974
  • edited December 2009
    Hi

Its poss its the players fav hand, and never folds it, no matter what.
  • edited December 2009
    fold them on the bubble 
  • edited December 2009
    Never been in the situation where folding AA is an option.Maybe yeah if on the bubble in a major tourny otherwise dont think i could ever.dav
  • edited December 2009
    would only ever fold them on a sat bubble pre flop. Under no other circumstances have i seen a reason to. You know you have the best hand, your more likley to get outdrawn but what can you do? you don't want to be folding when your ahead unless your trying to ladder and not win
  • edited December 2009
    I'd only fold aces pre flop on the bubble of a dym or satellite, and in both, only if I was comfortably stacked and where there is a marked short stack....even if 5 go all in before me, I still call, because sure they may outdraw me, but that's a negative mindset imo
  • edited December 2009
    It's probably safe to fold them against one opponant, so against 4 it's a fairly easy decision.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
      lol--lol--its probably safer not to enter the tournament--hope this helps
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks everyone for the responces, I felt that Either the poker gods/godesses (LML mmm) were against me. But as it is I did play it right and got my money in with the best hand, There is no counting for the muppetry of players who like playing silly hands, even if it is thier "Favorite" hand, but surely when you get 3 all ins before you, the automatic thing is FOLD THE JUNK you numptey... lol

Thats my rant over and done with now, luckily my laptop is still in one piece..

See you all on the baize soon.

Shanker1974
  • edited December 2009
    never fold Aces pre-flop unless your at a bubble in a sattelite and this sort of thing happens or a DYM

Yes you've got more chance of an outdraw, but theres plenty of chips up for grabs of course!

Profitable play says shove
  • edited December 2009
    i never fold AA pre flop, Always wait to see the flop and make a decision from there. Only time i may consider it is if i am on the bubble in a tourney ;) but then still probably wouldn't fold em, but then i am an idiot that does find it hard to let go off AA KK or AK. QQ an JJ would have no hesitation in dropping like a brick pre flop to the right bet ;)
  • edited December 2009
    on the info provided who can tell why the guy with 7 10 played

What were the blinds what were the stack sizes

Wih that information, I bet someone on here could give a valid reason for the guy with 7 10 playing.

I've left the above in , even though Ive reread the original post and relaise we are at second hand, thus im guessing all players are evenly stacked, and blinds obviously low. In which case its hard to make a case for the guy who played 7 10, unless he had lost a good proportion of his stack in the first hand, seeing 3 all ins, he feels he has live cards and if he comes thru it puts him back into the pack, would be my only guess other than he's a total muppet of course :)

As for folding Aces pre flop again this depends on the tourney. Against 4 random hands I could be as lower as 42% favourite to win. If its the early stages of a tourny do I take the chance that I may quadruple my chip stack 4 times in 10, the other 6 times I get knocked out, Is calling or folding the most profitable move in this scenario. If you quadruple up at the early stage, how many times will you go on to make the money, and make sufficeint money to make up for the times you get knocked out or dont make the money. If you play 10 £1 MTT, does calling in this situation, give you a good chance of winning £10 minimum in one of the tournies when your aces hold up.

In a 6 seat Single Table Tourny then calling would be a profitable move I would guess, as 4 times in 10 you get such a chip stack to guarantee you 2nd place, and most likely 1st 50% of the time, that you can afford to lose your stake those 6 other times.

With you saying small tourny table, im guessing you are saying there was only 6 of you in the whole tourny in which case the call was the correct play in my opinion

But I think there are lots of cases where in larger tournies folding aces in the situation you describe would be a beneficial move.

Marg - I see you say you wouldnt fold aces pre flop, you would wait till teh flop and make your decision there. However I'm guessing from the way the OP has worded his post, that the other 4 players went all in pre flop, and the OP was put to the decision to call for all his chips, so you wouldnt get teh chance to make your decision on the flop. So I guess what I'm asking is in general would you have called 4 all ins for your tournament life with aces, presuming that we are still way off the money

Aski :)
  • edited December 2009

If you're the comfortable chip leader in a DYM Sit-N'-Go and threee other players below you are slugging it out for the two remaining places you should fold everything pre-flop, even AA, only unless it's against a very short stack.

I would have gone all-in in the scenario outlined at the start of this thread. Yes, it's a coin flip maybe, but it's an ideal chance to start the tourney with a monster stack which would then let you switch to very tight play for ages and give you a great chance of making the bubble.