You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Final Stages

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I have been playing poker now for 6yrs on this site and others, i can cash in most tournaments but cant seen to go to the next level and actually win one, any tips.
I dont play for large anounts £10 max
Ta
Tim..

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Oh well thanks for the advice ( not ) just won my first small tourney... onwards and upwoods from now on xxx
  • edited March 2013
    It's a tough question to answer and you didn't wait very long for any advice.

The problem is that it's so general a question. If you are cashing lots but winning few, it suggests you might be tightening up too much and sneaking into the cash as a shortstack.. Try playing a wider range of hands, more aggressively approaching the bubble. This is when other players will be getting a bit tighter so you can get more blind-steals through.

That's just very general advice and it may not even relate to your problem. The thing about MTT's is that it's really tough to win one. You have to get very lucky no matter how good you are and you won't win many. If you want to practice how to close tournaments out, I'd suggest playing lots of sit and go's. I mean the "regular" SNG's, not DYM's.

Well done on winning your first tourney.
  • edited March 2013
    I would suggest opening more pots from pos with most hands and target the mid stacks. Bigger stacks call lighter and small stacks will be looking to 3bet shove so you dont want to be pricing yourself in with junk! Fold your junk to 3bets and 4bet your monsters. This way you keep the pressure up and are then more likely to get action on you better hands. You will find you will go out on the bubble more but you will off set that by times you come through it with a substanial stack.
  • edited March 2013
    And may I add before you raise always be aware of who you will fold too and who you will call!