You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

MTT, Good or bad shove?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I am sitting with about 25bb, i thought it was a limped pot im happy to get whats in the middle, so shove with pocket 2s, just wondering is this bad play?

If say I have 15 BB, i think the move would probably be better. I prob had to many bb for this shove. Thoughts on a postcard lol
FILBAR Small blind  100.00 100.00 18147.50
diablo_pez Big blind  200.00 300.00 5050.00
  Your hole cards

touchwood Call  200.00 500.00 6370.00
carnel Fold     
helstar Fold     
LARSON7 All-in  4990.00 5490.00 0.00
FILBAR Fold     
diablo_pez All-in  5050.00 10540.00 0.00
touchwood Fold     
diablo_pez Unmatched bet  260.00 10280.00 260.00
diablo_pez Show
  • Q
  • Q

LARSON7 Show

Flop

• K

Turn

River

diablo_pez Win Two Pairs, Queens and 3s 10280.00

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Why would you shove 25bb?
  • edited March 2013
    It's a bad shove, I actually think you should just flat but ONLY if you know the table is pretty passive and you won't get raised behind which will stop you seeing a flop.

25xBB is a bit too big imo to 3bet shove as it is, even more so when there hasn't been a raise (he's only limped). So it's call if you think no1 will raise behind, otherwise fold.

When you shove this big, you'll be lucky to even get called flipping, it's much more likely you'll be drawing to 2 outs and you stand to win so little even if they do fold, it's just not worth it.
  • edited March 2013
    If it gets through, i'm adding 10% to my stack, and at this point in the tourney i'll take a flip.

I only did this because i was on the button. After i done it i realised i had more bb than i thought lol

If i had 15-20 BB i wouldn't mind this shove so much, given position. But hey ho
  • edited March 2013

There is 10% in the middle (of my stack), if i take it down i have added 10% to my stack.

If i get a call with 2 overs, its a flip and i'm gambling to get a run in the tournie. Just unlucky i came up against a monster.

• edited March 2013
    But the problem is, when you get called it's ALWAYS gonna be a monster. People don't call 25xBB shoves without like QQ+
  • edited March 2013
    Its a bad shove for whats in the middle. To risk your tourny life for 10% increase is bad IMO. It means you have to be succesful a very high % of the time for it to be a profitable move. Your far better doing that with suited conectors than very low PP.
  • edited March 2013
    In a tourney with no antes its just pure spew
  • edited March 2013
    Isolate to around 525 youve got position and will most likely cbet the flop and take it down.  If you had 15-20bbs then yes shoving is profitable.
  • edited March 2013

as colley said, spew somes this right up,

• edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: MTT, Good or bad shove?:
    There is 10% in the middle (of my stack), if i take it down i have added 10% to my stack. If i get a call with 2 overs, its a flip and i'm gambling to get a run in the tournie. Just unlucky i came up against a monster.
    Posted by LARSON7

no lol

25 bb to win 2.5bb nooooo lol

twos though, couldn't play worse if they tried. you never get it in vageuly good and nearly always when called you have <20% equity which is pantalooons.

overlimp pre imo, it would have to be a VERY short stack you are playing for me to jam 22 over a limp
  • edited March 2013

you can just call me spewy, lol

Thanks for the feedback guys

• edited March 2013

The shove is not great. Others have covered that.

I'm rarely a fan of overlimping and I wouldn't be a massive fan of it here. I'd much prefer to isolate the limper and probably make it 650-700. I would reconsider that if I thought one of the blinds was likely to realise I might be doing that fairly light. You can't call a 3-bet if it comes, so don't raise if you think the 3-bet is likely, particularly from the Big Blind.