You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

4 way pot...call or raise river bet?

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
i know i'm going to be told off for not raising turn,or flop
(looking back,that's where i should have been building pot,isn't it?
but with such a big hand
i'm pretty sure i'm good on river and my instinct was to 'get it in'
but i lost value here,didn't i?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    AmountPotBalance
    pokered456 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.59
    D4ngerousD Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.96
     Your hole cards

devonfish5 Call  £0.04 £0.10 £8.75
    mum1 Call  £0.04 £0.14 £2.55
    HugeTuna Raise  £0.20 £0.34 £10.71
    WULLIE165 Fold     
    pokered456 Call  £0.18 £0.52 £1.41
    D4ngerousD Fold     
    devonfish5 Call  £0.16 £0.68 £8.59
    mum1 Call  £0.16 £0.84 £2.39
    Flop

pokered456 Check     
    devonfish5 Check     
    mum1 Check     
    HugeTuna Bet  £0.42 £1.26 £10.29
    pokered456 Call  £0.42 £1.68 £0.99
    devonfish5 Call  £0.42 £2.10 £8.17
    mum1 Call  £0.42 £2.52 £1.97
    Turn

pokered456 Check     
    devonfish5 Check     
    mum1 Check     
    HugeTuna Check     
    River

pokered456 All-in  £0.99 £3.51 £0.00
    devonfish5 Raise  £4.37 £7.88 £3.80
    mum1 Fold     
    HugeTuna Fold     
    devonfish5 Unmatched bet  £3.38 £4.50 £7.18
    pokered456 Show
    • A

devonfish5 Show

devonfish5 Win Full House, 5s and 10s £4.16  £11.34
  • edited March 2013
    raise pre
    flop is ok
    you gotta bet turn

maybe just flat river
  • edited March 2013
    Flop is fine. 
    Have to, have to, have to bet turn as you have to know at least one has a 10! Get value!
    River - reshove is fine. If you assume someone has a ten then its very likely that its a A10, K10, Q10, J10, 109 none of which improved to a better FH and most if not all will find it impossibly to fold.
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: 4 way pot...call or raise river bet?:
    raise pre flop is ok you gotta bet turn maybe just flat river
    Posted by rancid
    thanks rancid
    yeah,gotta get used to bettin these hands i guess,
    once the other 2 folded on river after my all-in, i knew it was a mistake...silly boy.
  • edited March 2013
    Flop is fine.  Have to, have to, have to bet turn as you have to know at least one has a 10! Get value! River - reshove is fine. If you assume someone has a ten then its very likely that its a A10, K10, Q10, J10, 109 none of which improved to a better FH and most if not all will find it impossibly to fold.
    Posted by CraigSG1
    again,i'm finding it hard betting these big hands.
    u r right i should have at least bet turn.
    (gotta start putting players on a hand range as u say A 10,K 10,etc.)
    thanks
  • edited March 2013
    Raise the flop, bet the turn & then your in prime position for getting all the monies on the river, its all about building that pot

Edit:  also raise it up pre, we all know how bad limping is lol
  • edited March 2013
    Yep, raise it up pre-flop. You wouldn't limp with AA so why are you limping with 55? You're just capping your range and denying yourself the chance of winning the pot pre-flop. Raise and you build the pot pre-flop so there's more to win the times you hit your set and you can win that pot with a c-bet on the flop, if you get it heads-up. 

Playing out of position is also going to make it much tougher to stack your opponents post-flop in limped pots. You will find that the times you hit you're likely to just get a small amount more. In the long-term it's tough to break even doing this, let alone make a profit.

As it happens, I quite like the way you've played it post flop. I don't agree with the suggestion of betting the turn because it's tough to see how HugeTuna can call wihout a Ten and if he does have a Ten he's likely to bet anyway. He might call with an overpair that he wouldn't bet but I'm not sure how likely that is after he's been called on such a dry flop by three players. (That said, we shouldn't expect our opponents to play perfectly. I prefer the check, though)

There's no reason to worry about the other two because their stacks are smaller than the pot and we can just set them both in on the river if the turn is checked around. only HugeTuna is worth thinking about.

On the river, I'd prefer a call to possibly allow one of the players behind to call with a random pair. They're not folding a Ten, in all likelihood, but a pocket pair, 6 or 7 is a trivial fold once you shove.
  • edited March 2013
    Raise the flop, bet the turn & then your in prime position for getting all the monies on the river, its all about building that pot Edit:  also raise it up pre, we all know how bad limping is lol
    Posted by seppe
    thanks seppe,
    yes,i'm still not playing aggressively enough all of the time,as i've shown here,but i am trying hard.
    with 55 it's easy just to call p/f but i know i have to get out of the habit,and build that pot so that when i do hit big,like here i get max value.
    :)
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Yep, raise it up pre-flop. You wouldn't limp with AA so why are you limping with 55? You're just capping your range and denying yourself the chance of winning the pot pre-flop. Raise and you build the pot pre-flop so there's more to win the times you hit your set and you can win that pot with a c-bet on the flop, if you get it heads-up.  Playing out of position is also going to make it much tougher to stack your opponents post-flop in limped pots. You will find that the times you hit you're likely to just get a small amount more. In the long-term it's tough to break even doing this, let alone make a profit. As it happens, I quite like the way you've played it post flop. I don't agree with the suggestion of betting the turn because it's tough to see how HugeTuna can call wihout a Ten and if he does have a Ten he's likely to bet anyway. He might call with an overpair that he wouldn't bet but I'm not sure how likely that is after he's been called on such a dry flop by three players. (That said, we shouldn't expect our opponents to play perfectly. I prefer the check, though) There's no reason to worry about the other two because their stacks are smaller than the pot and we can just set them both in on the river if the turn is checked around. only HugeTuna is worth thinking about. On the river, I'd prefer a call to possibly allow one of the players behind to call with a random pair. They're not folding a Ten, in all likelihood, but a pocket pair, 6 or 7 is a trivial fold once you shove.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    thanks borin,
    i do most of the time raise most hands i play p/f just not all of them,i guess.
    old habbits and all that.  lol
    i knew i should have just called the river bet but in the heat of the moment i just felt getting it in was the best play,as i was either getting called or both players were folding anyway.
    anyway,i'll try better next time,
    thanks mate,
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Im happy to call here preflop to set mine no point raising imo 

On the flop i am raising here for value as any 10 will call and any pairs will call your raise 

on the turn i am 100 percent betting 

these kinda hands dont come around often m8 so make the most of it u wanna try n get as much money as u can think u kinda played it to passive winning a small pot rather then a big 1 
  • edited March 2013
    Devon, you should get some post it notes, or you can use that whiteboard you got and just put a few important notes on there and keep it by your side so its always in your mind, like...

1. When I am first into the pot, I WILL open 3x !!

You can change that to 4x, or 5x depending on what your standard open is, but stick to it! If you are sat there with a hand thinking, urgh I dont wanna put 3x in with this hand, then just fold. If it aint good enough to raise, it aint good enough to play full stop.
  • edited March 2013
    Im happy to call here preflop to set mine no point raising imo  On the flop i am raising here for value as any 10 will call and any pairs will call your raise  on the turn i am 100 percent betting  these kinda hands dont come around often m8 so make the most of it u wanna try n get as much money as u can think u kinda played it to passive winning a small pot rather then a big 1 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    thanks steve,
    i'm always afraid of betting and losing customers when i flop a big hand like this,which i know is the wrong way of thinking.
    stil gotta lot to learn. 
    aaaagh
    dev
  • edited March 2013
    Devon, you should get some post it notes, or you can use that whiteboard you got and just put a few important notes on there and keep it by your side so its always in your mind, like... 1. When I am first into the pot, I WILL open 3x !! You can change that to 4x, or 5x depending on what your standard open is, but stick to it! If you are sat there with a hand thinking, urgh I dont wanna put 3x in with this hand, then just fold. If it aint good enough to raise, it aint good enough to play full stop.
    Posted by Lambert180
    yes of course you are right here Paul,
    but with hands like 55 33 etc,i sometimes forget to raise and my old way of playing,(and still now sometimes),kicks in and i limp,like here.
    good idea of making a note on my whiteboard about raising EVERY TIME 3x or more...
    just have to find room on there somewhere in between Dohhhhs notes.  lol
    thanks for the tip,
    dev
    ps; always bet 3x min if 1st into pot.(added to whiteboard)  lol