You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Big swing

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Guys I really need some advice. Nothing seems to be going my way recently and I'm not coping very well with it. I've gone from clearing about 10 buy ins a week ( Which I realise is a heater) to literally losing every time I sit at the table. My roll is capable of coping with it but not if it continues.

I've tightened up my range, only played position and got it in as good as possible but still seem to be losing more than I'm winning. I've also noticed that due to the amount of flips I'm losing I'm starting to lose confidence in my game and generally act like a moron at the table.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Tough to give a definitive answer to a general question like this. However, you say that you get it in good as often as possible: This may be a problem if it means you're folding in situations when you think you probably have the worst hand but the pot odds are good enough to merit a call. If you never get your money in behind, you're not playing very well.

The best advice I can offer is to just work on your game. Ask yourself if the adjustments you've made since you stopped winning have actually been based on the real odds of the game or on your perceptions of how "luck" has been treating you.

Keep reading, posting hands and just generally thinking about the game. If you're making mistakes, playing too much can actually be bad for you because you're just practising those bad habits and engraining them more and more. So consider reducing the amount you play for a while and spend that extra time reviewing your play.
  • edited March 2013
    hi donohuge,
    i've been there mate,as i'm sure have many others,so don't think it's just you.
    not that that's much consolation.
    i've had lows where i didn't even want to switch on my pc,let alone play.
    you haven't said what you are playing not that it really matters.
    play less and only 1 table.
    play freerolls only for a few sessions,assuming you have points to enter.
    it doesn't hurt you at all if you lose.  lol
    i did for about a week or more and really started enjoying playing again.
    drop down levels or buy-ins...that is a must if you are losing and this will help protect your b/roll
    i went from playing £3 & £5 dym's down to 30p's at the time.  lol

post up your worst losing hands in the poker clinic,and see what feedback you get.
    (even if you think you played it ok,i'm sure you will learn something from doing this)
    my cash game improved like 300 to 400% in a few days just from doing this,and i'm still doing it now and learning all the time.

at the end of the day mate,it's only a game,not life and death,so as hard as it is try and remember that.
    you will get back to winning ways again,i'm sure of it.
    you've taken a big step by realising there is a problem,which is good.
    just take it 1 day at a time mate...as i did,and surely but slowly it will come good again.

:)
    dev
    ps;when posting hands..
    there is a scroll bar at the bottom of the hand,if u move it to the right b4 you go blue,it should help
    also are you posting from the download section,ie;the page we are on now,which you should be,
    or are you copying and posting from the lobby ''my sky poker' hand history page?
  • edited March 2013
    I'm copying and pasting the hands directly from the hand history tab on the cash table.
  • edited March 2013
    That's the problem then with how they appear when posted.

To make them show up properly, open Sky Poker in the browser. Hover over the 'My Sky Poker' tab and click on Hand History, then copy and paste them from there.
  • edited March 2013
    Nothing can beat a nice wee rest from the game sometimes. Tightening up your range is actually a form of tilt if it's not your standard winning game. You need to keep with the strategy that you know (if it's winning). Like Borin Loner says, if your not trying to take down pots on a semi-bluff then your potential value will go down. The bankroll thing shouldn't be a concern at all if your properly rolled to play what limits you play. Thinking to much about that or having to drop a limit will make you tighten up (tilt) and you won't be playing your 'A' game anymore. A short rest might be best and more importantly, make sure your having fun. When your not having fun and playing the game with a smile on your face, it's time to call it a day. GL

P.S How many tables and what limit are you playing?
  • edited March 2013
    two tables at 2p-4p
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Big swing:
    two tables at 2p-4p
    Posted by Donohuge
    In that case.....

Tight poker should be your only game. It'lll be your loose game that's actually losing you money IMO.You can't bluff or semi bluff at these stakes, You will get called all day long. Basically you can't be a LAG. You can only be a LAG when you know that you have fold equity. People try to be LAG's to often on small stakes and that's how they burn money. You can only become a LAG when your playing with multi-table TAG's and you know that you can get them to fold. Micro (hell even up to 100nl) will float you (in IP or OP) all day long with gutshots and and then bluff the scare card that you will be folding to. You'll be surprised at how many times you will profit from them bluffing the scare card (where you think your behind) if you check/call the turn and river on a scary flop then you can also turn it into you having the nuts and not them (but not something you should do at micro but something that you should think about). 

Just my thought's, but I'm on the vino :D

Ilona

x
  • edited April 2013
    If you loose your confidence, your game will suffer,as Ms chips says have a break,
    play some free games. Dont sit at table unless you think....yes this is for me.
    I have had runs were you think no matter what you do it's the wrong decision.
    But in the light of day if you think no......i have played this right i've just been
    unlucky, it will soon come back. good luck.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Big swing:
    In Response to Re: Big swing : In that case..... Tight poker should be your only game. It'lll be your loose game that's actually losing you money IMO.You can't bluff or semi bluff at these stakes, You will get called all day long. Basically you can't be a LAG. You can only be a LAG when you know that you have fold equity. People try to be LAG's to often on small stakes and that's how they burn money. You can only become a LAG when your playing with multi-table TAG's and you know that you can get them to fold. Micro (hell even up to 100nl) will float you (in IP or OP) all day long with gutshots and and then bluff the scare card that you will be folding to. You'll be surprised at how many times you will profit from them bluffing the scare card (where you think your behind) if you check/call the turn and river on a scary flop then you can also turn it into you having the nuts and not them (but not something you should do at micro but something that you should think about).  Just my thought's, but I'm on the vino :D Ilona x
    Posted by Ms_Chips
    On the Vino! Hahaha, hope you're not playing whilst drinking! Thanks for the advice, really appreciate the help
  • edited April 2013
    We've all been there pal :/

All I can say is STUDY. Read some poker books or watch some Sky Poker TV or training videos online.

Don't take this the wrong way its not an insult, but after some nice winning sessions we all think we're the best in the world, and subsequently begin to ease off the pedal a bit. Happens to ALL of us at these levels it really does!

If you can honestly say to yourself that you played all these hands optimally then fair enough, you should know that good players get bad beats more often because they get it in good more often.

If theres leaks you've noticed in your own game, study up, and once you have you'll find you have a lot more drive to put your new tricks to practice.

All the best, Reece
  • edited April 2013
    Cheers man I really appreciate this