You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Floating at micro stakes

edited March 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I don't know if this is good play in the long term or not, but I seem to have noticed that if i float the flop in position (even sometimes oop) i can take the pot down on the turn if it is checked to me 7/10 or so times (or river most times if i floated oop), seems to work a lot for me at 4nl especially anyway lol.

For example, say i have king-10 suited on the button, someone raises 3xbb and i call, we are heads up to the flop and the flop comes 9-5-2 rainbow, he makes a c-bet and i call thinking i can take the pot down on the turn since the board doesn't seem to have connected with a pre-flop raisers range. On the turn (lets say it is the 8h in this case), he checks to me and i bet 3/4 pot or so and take down the pot most of the time. But if he bets the turn again, it is an easy fold for me, since i know most players at 4nl aren't capable of double barreling with nothing.

Is this good play or not? It seems to be working quite a lot for me at the moment, obviously i don't do it every time i miss the flop, but on occasions like above where the flop is unlikely to have hit the opponents range that's when i do it lol.

Hope this was OK to understand, i'm terrible at trying to explain things like these haha.

Comments

• edited March 2013
    Floating can be good but as with all plays, it really depends on the player. There are some people who just auto-cbet ALL the time regardless of the flop and if they get called and haven't hit will just insta-give up. Obviously these are the people we wanna float against. (we have to know they can fold)

Conversely if we float against someone who isn't gonna fold any draw or as low as bottom pr then you might find yourself value towning yourself.

Also, this is true of pretty much everything in poker but especially floating, it is SO MUCH EASIER doing it in position. Given your example 952r, if you just flat a c-bet and your OOP, then decide to donk the turn, they just flat,  so you fire again on the river and find you walked into a set. Same situation but you're in position, this shuoldnt happen because he's not going to check the turn to you with a set (most of the time) so he doesn't allow you to think you can pinch it.

Floating OOP is a nightmare and probably just unnecessary at micro stakes.
  • edited March 2013
    Yes true, i only do it against players i have a note saying they give up on the turn or something along those lines lol. If i do it against someone with no reads, i make a note afterwards if he folds/calls with a draw or bottom pair etc.

I know i shouldn't float oop, but i can't help it sometimes haha. I don't donk the turn when i do it, i bluff the river if he checks behind on the turn, but obviously doing this is giving the oppo a chance to catch up on the river which has happened a few times, so i guess i have to try and stop doing that lol.