You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

too spewy???

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic

This hand was the killer for me in tonights main

My thoughts were, I'm 3 betting pre and going for it on any flop......left players name and hand in as it doesn't really change anything and the oppos play is fine. I feel because of my stack size I had to go for broke.

Way too spewy though?? How should I have played it?

gleesos Small blind  100.00 100.00 15450.00
waller02 Big blind  200.00 300.00 6255.00
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

chepstow Raise  600.00 900.00 5253.00
beaneh Fold     
HUTCH_121 Fold     
ACESOVER8s Fold     
gleesos Fold     
waller02 Raise  1600.00 2500.00 4655.00
chepstow Call  1200.00 3700.00 4053.00
Flop

• Q

waller02 Bet  2600.00 6300.00 2055.00
chepstow All-in  4053.00 10353.00 0.00
waller02 Call  1453.00 11806.00 602.00
waller02 Show
  • K
  • A

chepstow Show
  • Q
  • A

Turn

River

• J

chepstow Win Pair of Queens 11806.00  11806.00

Comments

• edited March 2013
    just shove pre imo or call n see a flop think a  min raise pretty much isnt what i would do because your going to c-bet any flop when you 3 bet and going to get pots stuck like hre so id just ship it or call 
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re: too spewy???:
    just shove pre imo or call n see a flop think a  min raise pretty much isnt what i would do because your going to c-bet any flop when you 3 bet and going to get pots stuck like hre so id just ship it or call 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I just thought 30bb was too big to shove??....pretty awkward stack size I never know what to do in spots like this!!

Good to have you back btw m8
  • edited March 2013
    think its the perfect stack to shove imo 
  • edited April 2013
    think its the perfect stack to shove imo 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    30bb a good stack to 3b shove?????
    Disagree 
  • edited April 2013
    You must have played it wrong as I wold have plaed this hand EXACTLY the same lol
  • edited April 2013
    if your happy getting it in then 3 bet more, let oppo decide to shove or fold - don't give them a call option
  • edited April 2013
    if your happy getting it in then 3 bet more, let oppo decide to shove or fold - don't give them a call option
    Posted by rancid
    Tbh i 3b the same. Any more and we might as well shove. 30BB is just such an awkward stack. If its 20BB easy 3b ship, if its 40BB easy 3b call off. 

Waller the sizing of your 3bet is perfect imo. If we go larger we put opponent to shove or fold position, which this raise should do anyways - i wouldn't imagine a strong mtt player peels for example. This allows us to do a reasonable sizing 3b bluff from time to time aswell. As now we have the top of our range in this sizing category. 

Once opponent peels the flop is the desision. Its kind of a lose lose situation, if it goes in, we're crushed normally, but the pot is soo big now we have around pot size behind. So we dont want to give it up either. Im such a stubborn side i probably just put the lot in. Although i think feeling is better. I don't like cbet calling off with Ace high but im glad to see you realise you have to. 

• edited April 2013
    I think the hand plays itself with the stack sizes, if anything the villan should not be calling off there pre. Should be shipping or folding. Your only wondering because he hit one of his 3 outs. If its A high or he misses and you win your happy and move on not thinking if you've played it wrong. The reraise was fine as you got your opponent to make the mistake and you cant really fold after committing so much of your stack with what is probably the best hand a lot of the time. The only thing is flop - you should be pushing. You get a lot of PP off and could even get AJ to call for eg.
  • edited April 2013
    Pretty spewy. "i'm 3 betting pre and going for it on any flop"..... Doesn't really matter how the hand played out if this is your mentality IMHO!

That said.... if you're going for it on any flop just shove pre. You're big blind so you look really wide a shove is fine. 
  • edited April 2013
    Pretty spewy. "i'm 3 betting pre and going for it on any flop"..... Doesn't really matter how the hand played out if this is your mentality IMHO! That said.... if you're going for it on any flop just shove pre. You're big blind so you look really wide a shove is fine. 
    Posted by CUFCrp90
    In my mind I had 3 options...

1. shove pre.......but I had 30bb which I thought was too much to 3 bet jam pre flop

2. 3 bet then commit myself on the flop......my thinking here was if he 4 bets im happy, if he doesnt then there is still a good enough chance of me winning the hand on the flop for me to commit myself

3. just call the raise and re-assess my hand on the flop......I thought my hand was too strong not to 3 bet

My stack size was awkward.....I see ppl posting on here time and time again saying that 30bb is too big a stack to 3 bet jam....If i take option 2 like I did then I surely have to bet any flop thus commiting myself??? It wasn't "my mentality" as you describe it....it was what I felt was the right thing to do at the time???
  • edited April 2013
    Don't disagree with anything you've said there OP but for me it fails to appreciate all your options, not just the most likely one. You have set out your options well in the above post.

1. You are right 30bigs is a big shove. That said, its got a decent chance of taking the pot there and then. Also it limits your opponents calling range to one youre either racing against (pockets) or dominating (AJ, AQ). Shoving isn't a bad option either because after any flop youre out of position and its infinitely harder to play. If 30bigs shove is too big fair enough, for me your reraise is slightly too small anyway. Thats a very very nitty point but its what I'm thinking here. 

2/3. The reraise preflop is always right, how much the reraise is for is debatable but its agreed you have to raise. In theory the correct option is to cbet but opening any flop from the BB is always difficult because once he calls/reraises, you have to realise you're only playing Ace high and have to assume you're behind really. Its probably the correct play but you can't forget it does have its downside and you have to at least consider the alternative plays. You've put it down to just "hope he hasn't hit" and you've clearly demonstrated now that you're better than that!
  • edited April 2013
    Don't disagree with anything you've said there OP but for me it fails to appreciate all your options, not just the most likely one. You have set out your options well in the above post. 1. You are right 30bigs is a big shove. That said, its got a decent chance of taking the pot there and then. Also it limits your opponents calling range to one youre either racing against (pockets) or dominating (AJ, AQ). Shoving isn't a bad option either because after any flop youre out of position and its infinitely harder to play. If 30bigs shove is too big fair enough, for me your reraise is slightly too small anyway. Thats a very very nitty point but its what I'm thinking here.  2/3. The reraise preflop is always right, how much the reraise is for is debatable but its agreed you have to raise. In theory the correct option is to cbet but opening any flop from the BB is always difficult because once he calls/reraises, you have to realise you're only playing Ace high and have to assume you're behind really. Its probably the correct play but you can't forget it does have its downside and you have to at least consider the alternative plays. You've put it down to just "hope he hasn't hit" and you've clearly demonstrated now that you're better than that!
    Posted by CUFCrp90
    I just hated the spot I was in tbh......if i had <20bb I would have snap shoved pre.

Yeah ur right it did come down to a "hope he hasn't hit" situation but after my 3 bet pre I felt it was my only option? If I'm 3 betting pre then checking any flop without an ace or king on then I may as well have just called the raise pre.

All I know is, shoving pre would have taken away the ballache!! lol
  • edited April 2013
    1. You are right 30bigs is a big shove. That said, its got a decent chance of taking the pot there and then. Also it limits your opponents calling range to one youre either racing against (pockets) or dominating (AJ, AQ). Shoving isn't a bad option either because after any flop youre out of position and its infinitely harder to play. If 30bigs shove is too big fair enough, for me your reraise is slightly too small anyway. Thats a very very nitty point but its what I'm thinking here.  Posted by CUFCrp90
    I don't think it limits your opponent's calling range to hands you're flipping against or dominating. I think it's possible that we can be caled by AQ but that seems like the only hand we beat that does call. The other hands that call are either flipping or are dominating us. You're ignoring the possibility of AA or KK and against the higher underpairs we can be as big a dog as 43:57 anyway..

The reasons that 30BB is too big a shove with AK here are:

i) We wouldn't shove here with AA or KK and that's what our opponents would think.
    ii) We force so many weaker hands to just fold. Hands that may pay us more if we raise smaller. We may even encourage them to 4-bet all-in with weaker hands if we 3-bet smaller.

3-betting a normal amount then betting out on any flop is definitely the most profitable way to play this hand, in my opinion. You're right to say that we're hoping that our opponent has missed when we bet the flop, however we also know that they will miss 2/3 times and can even fold some hands that have us beat: If they call to set mine with 33, 44, 55, etc and see this flop, they're not continuing with the hand. Even if they do call with a pair, we'll still have reasonable equity alot of the time. These factors combine to mean that if our 3-bet is just flat-called pre-flop, our c-bet should be profitable.
    Obviously this could affected by history with the particular opponent.

Shoving for 30BB here would be poor in my opinion. I think you can 3-bet a little bigger when you're out of position and here I would be making it 2000 instead of 1800. Seems like a minor gripe but it sets you up for a pot-size bet on any flop. If we were on the button with these stacks, I might suggest 3-betting smaller to 1400 or 1500. As it is, I think the play is fine.