You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UK Poker Law for home games

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Would apprecite some advice from anyone in the know.

I had a home game last friday at my house (private residence) with 7 of my friends (Invite only).
We played a £5 NL Holdem Tournament with one rebuy allowed up until the 4th level.
In the lead-up to the game I created a private group on facebook as there were a few newbies and I wanted to post some video tutorials and get some pre-game banter going. I subsequently posted some photos of the game on the facebook page too.

Today (Monday - 3 days later) I've received a formal letter from the council saying that I have run an illegal poker game and that this may result in a fine between £2000-20,000!!

The letter stated that they continually monitor social media for references of gambling (even private/closed facebook groups!) and that the pictures I posted show that 'more than half of the residents were participents in the game'.

I've been doing some research today on the Gambling commision site etc but its not too easy to undersand whether I have have broken the law.

I'm pretty sure that I can run a home poker game if all who are invited are guests/friends and that I dont charge a fee (I didnt - just the £5 stake). The letter suggests that I'm in the wrong because 'more than half of the particiepents were non-residents'. Is this correct? I've tried to look this up on government gambling advice sites but can't see this written anywhere for poker. I found this writiten when hosting bingo games but not poker games.

Can anyone give me some advice on this please as I need to respond to the council.

Thanks,
Jubbster.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Err it is April 1st....
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: UK Poker Law for home games:
    Err it is April 1st....
    Posted by tomo_efc
     damn - you're right!
    Got to be an april fool! - Its been done so well though! 
    :-)
  • edited April 2013
    Got caught out myself this morning, the missus said all the ale had been taken out the fridge.
    Nearly had a heart attack..
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to UK Poker Law for home games:
    Hi all, Would apprecite some advice from anyone in the know. I had a home game last friday at my house (private residence) with 7 of my friends (Invite only). We played a £5 NL Holdem Tournament with one rebuy allowed up until the 4th level. In the lead-up to the game I created a private group on facebook as there were a few newbies and I wanted to post some video tutorials and get some pre-game banter going. I subsequently posted some photos of the game on the facebook page too. Today (Monday - 3 days later) I've received a formal letter from the council saying that I have run an illegal poker game and that this may result in a fine between £2000-20,000!! The letter stated that they continually monitor social media for references of gambling (even private/closed facebook groups!) and that the pictures I posted show that 'more than half of the residents were participents in the game'. I've been doing some research today on the Gambling commision site etc but its not too easy to undersand whether I have have broken the law. I'm pretty sure that I can run a home poker game if all who are invited are guests/friends and that I dont charge a fee (I didnt - just the £5 stake). The letter suggests that I'm in the wrong because ' more than half of the particiepents were non-residents'. Is this correct? I've tried to look this up on government gambling advice sites but can't see this written anywhere for poker. I found this writiten when hosting bingo games but not poker games. Can anyone give me some advice on this please as I need to respond to the council. Thanks, Jubbster.
    Posted by JUBBSTER1
    theres the giveaway. its a bank holiday today so no post. also i suspect all council staff who deal with this kinda admin would be enjoying the bank holiday also

looks like youve been done up good n proper
  • edited April 2013
    Haha, this was a great read :-)
  • edited April 2013
    HAHA U MATES ARE TOO MUCH THAT A SICK ONE 
  • edited April 2013
    I had this problem last August ended up with a fine of £4500 so its not a joke. Silly daft laws form our excellent government yet again.
  • edited April 2013
    TROLOLOLOLOLOL