You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Flopped Quads Help?

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
How do i get the max value from this hand without scaring away my opponent?

layerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceAceman23Small blind 30.0030.0010570.00chino-kezBig blind 60.0090.001570.00 Your hole cardsJA   CharlieWinCall 60.00150.003720.00Paddy_LuckFold    PokerRollCall 60.00210.004518.50Aceman23Call 30.00240.0010540.00chino-kezCheck    Flop  JJJ   Aceman23Check    chino-kezCheck    CharlieWinBet 60.00300.003660.00PokerRollCall 60.00360.004458.50Aceman23Call 60.00420.0010480.00chino-kezFold    Turn  9   Aceman23Check    CharlieWinBet 60.00480.003600.00PokerRollCall 60.00540.004398.50Aceman23Fold    River  3   CharlieWinBet 540.001080.003060.00PokerRollAll-in 4398.505478.500.00CharlieWinFold    PokerRollMuck    PokerRollWin 1620.00 1620.00PokerRollReturn 3858.500.005478.50

Comments

• edited April 2013

I like the check on the flop, keeping in his bluffs. On the turn it is so difficult to think he can have any hand at all here, so again if we reraise theres a good chance we could be losing our customer.

As played, when he bets pot on river, i would maybe go to about 750-800 of a raise to try and get a bit of value.

On that board, shoving what is going to call us? The above bet, you are probably getting called with a Ace.

Preflop aswell, you are on the button with a quality hand, it would have been good to get a raise in here pre. To be honest i think you prob got maximum value, as the chances are opponent is not sitting with much at all.

Nice hand!

• edited April 2013
    Honestly? Played pretty much spot on. Its very hard for him to have anything in an unraised pot. Either play on river is fine - the min reraise or allin. Best in long run is allin for me. You wont believe the calls you will get I promise. 
  • edited April 2013
    I like calling flop and turn. This board is so hard for the original raiser to have anything, obviously you had the J but if he had it he wouldn't have bet out either.

Don't like the reraise all in on the river, you obviously want him to call so you need to ask yourself some questions.

What is my opponents likely holding given how he played it? A full house is possible but slim really, pocket pairs or x9 hands. Ace high or even something like KQ are far more possible IMO.

Given his likely hands, how much chips can you get him to put in? He's more likely to be weak, so he won't want to put much more in. Therefore a clickback minraise to 1000/1200 ish is a good bet. If he has a house he has to pay you, if he doesn't he has to fold, and that would kill his image. Imagine the shame of being caught pants down,  having to fold to a minraise on the river! On the chance he has the house he will re pop you all in too.

With absolute monsters like you had all I'm thinking is that you really don't want to give the opponent even the slightest inclination to fold. A really good player will even try and fold a full house to your river bet there.
  • edited April 2013
    Raise pre-flop. We have the button and a strong hand that is very likely to be the best. We shouldn't be limping any hand in this situation and we definitely need to be raising AJ.

On the flop I think we're struggling to do anything but call. It's unlikely that any of our opponents has a big pocket pair, given the pre-flop action. If none of them have a small pair there's a really good chance they'd just fold to a raise here and if they do have a small pair, it's unlikely that they'll just give up on the turn.

When the tiny bet comes to us on the turn I think we have to raise. If our opponents don't have a pair they're not going to pay us much more anyway but if they do we want to build the pot as much as possible and we can't afford to just wait until the river and hope.

On the river I don't mind the shove. When our opponent bets full-pot he's representing a full house. If he doesn't have a full house he's not calling a raise of any size anyway. Might as well hope that he makes a big mistake and calls off his stack with a 9, rather than hope he makes a small mistake and calls off a min-raise.

The big hands are tough to get paid with because it's hard for our opponent to have anything themselves. However, we must raise pre-flop with this hand and almost never limp with anything. Looking at how you could have played the hand differently post-flop would be ignoring the biggest mistake you made in this hand, which was that pre-flop limp.