You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

SILLY BACKGROUND MUSIC

edited December 2009 in Sky Poker Live
Why does sky poker tv channel have that silly background music on all the time. It make it hard to here the presenters plus it sometimes sounds like a cheap 70,s adult film LOL.  But serious its annoying i just want to watch poker and listen to the presenters views not feel like im on the phone on hold at the bank with the silly music.

Comments

• edited December 2009

Totally agree with your post above Mango. Plus when they go into breaks, the volume goes much higher so if you have turned up the volume to hear the presenters, your TV sounds like a aeroplane taking off in your living room!. I think the background music is prob a idea of a TV 'executive' who is thinking about the presentation of the show rather than the content of the show.
  • edited December 2009

PS....welcome to the community.
  • edited December 2009
    I couldn't agree more, it is sometimes impossible to hear the presenters commentary on the play.  PLEASE either cut the volume of the music or better yet stop playing it at all.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: SILLY BACKGROUND MUSIC:
    I couldn't agree more, it is sometimes impossible to hear the presenters commentary on the play.  PLEASE either cut the volume of the music or better yet stop playing it at all.
    Posted by Kiwini4u

PARDON????
  • edited December 2009
    +1

spot on about the adverts coming on and then realising you are at nearly max volume
  • edited December 2009
    Me again i was just wondering if we will get a reply from the sky team or will we just get ignored
  • edited December 2009
    Me again i was just wondering if we will get a reply from the sky team or will we just get ignored

Who said that?.......lol    :)

I will try to get the main man (SKY RICH) to take a look at this thread Mango and see if he can get an answer of the 'suits'
  • edited December 2009

Thanks maxally :-))

• edited December 2009
    hey guys,

thanks for the posts on this thread. i'm not 100% on make up of the TV shows but i will certainly pass this on to someone in the know.

thanks again,

Rich
  • edited December 2009
    One of those music selections is a note for note copy of the guitar intro from Cream's "Badge" ;-)

• edited December 2009
    Posted by mangohaze
    Hi Haze, you've been mist.

No questions are "ignored", but there a lot of Posts to trawl through, & nobody is delegated to answer questions specifically, everyone does it as & when they can find the time. But I'm sorry it has not been replied to sooner.

I'm not actully "Sky Team" I guess, I'm sort of neither here nor there, but I'll try & answer it for you.

Background music is a Producer' decision, but most Shows use it these days. So do Supermarkets, Hotels, Motorway Service Stations, Waiting Rooms, Telephone Answering Services, et al. It's the modern way.

Personally, I agree with you, but I happen to be Chairman of the IAAGOS&S&IHBMS. (I Am A Grumpy Old So & So & I Hate Background Music Society). In fact, I've yet to meet anyone who DOES think it adds anything. But it's the modern way, the modern thing, & everyone does it now.

So I will pass on your Message to our Producers.

Take care now, fellow background music loather. ;)
  • edited December 2009
    One of those music selections is a note for note copy of the guitar intro from Cream's "Badge" ;-)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    You cannot believe what a can of worms pre-recorded music is on TV Shows.

PRS - "Performing Rights Society" - monitor all Broadcast music, to ensure the copyright holders - the author &/or Publisher - get their due royalty.

Sky Poker have a strict policy not to use "protected" Music. The Channel is live (repeats or not, it's irrelevant) 24/7, so if we played an Abba track, or some Doris Day or Madonna stuff, it'd cost them a small fortune.

So all the music is taken from Sky TV's special library, which has tens of thousands of tracks of un-protected, generic, tracks.

You may be surprised to know how strict the whole thing is. We - the front-of-camera Presenters & Analysts - cannot even sing a song. If I sing a bar of a well-known song on the Show - something by Queen, or The Cure, or whatever, the Producer is down our ear big time - "OI, STOP IT NOW".

There you go, more TV trivia.
  • edited December 2009

'Hi Haze, you've been mist' - very good TK. On a more serious note, you should have an option to mute the background music if you wish to do so. I am sure it could work the same way as when you mute the annoying background music whilst looking at the Sky tv guide where there is a nice little button in SERVICES/SYSTEM SET UP/SOUND SETTINGS.......BACKGROUND MUSIC = OFF!!!

And of course everyone should use their tv mute button when orford is on about poker because he really hasnt got a clue about it....:)
  • edited December 2009
    'Hi Haze, you've been mist' - very good TK. On a more serious note, you should have an option to mute the background music if you wish to do so. I am sure it could work the same way as when you mute the annoying background music whilst looking at the Sky tv guide where there is a nice little button in SERVICES/SYSTEM SET UP/SOUND SETTINGS.......BACKGROUND MUSIC = OFF!!! And of course everyone should use their tv mute button when orford is on about poker because he really hasnt got a clue about it....:)
    Posted by MAXALLY
    This is true.
  • edited December 2009
    Whats with the new display pic Tikay ?
  • edited December 2009
    Whats with the new display pic Tikay ?
    Posted by Gavinxxxx
    The new Avatar - & Rich has one too? So has.......well, wait & see.

See new Thread in "General Poker Chat" shortly!
  • edited December 2009

I am trying to put this thread back on track because after the intial good comments by mangohaze about the annoying background music, it seems to be highlighted even more watching tonight's programme with LML & Mark!!

CAN SOMEONE AT SKY POKER PLEASE PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF OUR CONCERNS ON THIS THREAD????

Even TK, who I totally understand has to try and remain impartial, has expressd his concerns on this matter but still no real response from the sky suits.......
  • edited December 2009
    Actually, I'd like to present a contrary view here. It could be argued, that the incessant commentary actually interferes with the music. There are times when it's impossible to decipher whether the rhythm guitarist has cleverly used a C Major with the seventh note diminished – or suspended, all because someone is banging on about Poker advice over the top of the track. 

Sometimes, it's even difficult to appreciate whether the drummer has segued from a traditional 4/4 beat at 120bpm; into a 5/7 time signature for the chorus (all without dropping a beat). And please remember: These session musicians have put an awful lot of time and effort into this 'Royalty-Free' music, mostly for little recognition – and a paltry pay packet. Some of them are even kept in cages and fed on a diet of twigs and pebbles.

I think it would be better to have the analysts presenting the tracks, and then just being silently attentive and respectful whilst the music is played. After each track, they could then simply introduce a new band, or something else that might be currently 'Storming up the Hit Parade'. 

You could rename the programme something like 'Top Of The Pops', or 'The Tube'... or 'The Old Magnolia Whistle Test'. 

I'm still working on the title, but the format seems a winner to me and would certainly fill a niche that has hitherto been lacking on our screens of late.

Come on Sky, please get your thinking caps on and sort it out.

• edited December 2009
    Actually, I'd like to present a contrary view here. It could be argued, that the incessant commentary actually interferes with the music. There are times when it's impossible to decipher whether the rhythm guitarist has cleverly used a C Major with the seventh note diminished – or suspended , all because someone is banging on about Poker advice over the top of the track.  Sometimes, it's even difficult to appreciate whether the drummer has segued from a traditional 4/4 beat at 120bpm; into a 5/7 time signature for the chorus (all without dropping a beat). And please remember: These session musicians have put an awful lot of time and effort into this 'Royalty-Free' music, mostly for little recognition – and a paltry pay packet. Some of them are even kept in cages and fed on a diet of twigs and pebbles. I think it would be better to have the analysts presenting the tracks, and then just being silently attentive and respectful whilst the music is played. After each track, they could then simply introduce a new band, or something else that might be currently 'Storming up the Hit Parade'.  You could rename the programme something like 'Top Of The Pops' , or 'The Tube' ... or 'The Old Magnolia Whistle Test'.   I'm still working on the title, but the format seems a winner to me and would certainly fill a niche that has hitherto been lacking on our screens of late. Come on Sky, please get your thinking caps on and sort it out.
    Posted by FlutNush

1) You've got some once a week!

2) Lol.

Great Post!
  • edited December 2009
    I am trying to put this thread back on track because after the intial good comments by mangohaze about the annoying background music, it seems to be highlighted even more watching tonight's programme with LML & Mark!! CAN SOMEONE AT SKY POKER PLEASE PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF OUR CONCERNS ON THIS THREAD???? Even TK, who I totally understand has to try and remain impartial, has expressd his concerns on this matter but still no real response from the sky suits.......
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Nooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I never expressed "concerns", I expressed my well known OCD-ness as to background music. That's not a concern of Sky Poker, that's my personal phobia. (I don't care for brussel sprouts either, as it happens).

As I also stated, we endure background music in just about every public place these days, so we gotta assume it's perceived as popular by the majority.

Me? I NEVER listen to "other people's" choice of music, (it baffles me why anyone would, but I'm odd), so I never listen to music on the Radio, only my own CD's.

I will make the Producers aware of this Thread, it's their call, but please bear in mind they are pretty busy with their regular work right now - prepping & doing Christmas Specials, & putting last minute touches to tomorrow's new Show - 865's SECOND new Show in less than a month. So be patient, please.

I do think, as FlutNush suggested, it has a benefit though - it drowns out Orford's incessent chirping.
  • edited December 2009
    I will look into this for you and discuss alternative options with the sound engineers.

As we're an educational channel, it stands to reason that you should be able to hear!

However music definitely helps move the show along - and I have to admit to loving some tracks.... Perhaps it's just a case of adjusting the levels here and there.

Warmest regards

Aisling
  • edited December 2009
    Just lowering the level of the background music would do the job I think.  With no music I think the no commentry parts of the show when you're just seeing the deal etc would seem awkward.  It like a ticking clock, it's fine while it's there and noone notices but once you notice it you can't get it out of your mind!

As to the comment about the volume of the adverts I think that a channel wide problem, advertisers just 'compress' their sound which ironically makes it much louder.