You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

30nl - AKs on the button

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Just looking for some thoughts on what to do here vs an unkown with no reads.

What is your default vs an unknown 5bet jam with AKs on the B?

I haven't played much 30nl so i'm unsure if he's a reg or not but he is playing more than 1 table.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
villain
Small blind   £0.15 £0.15 £35.89
frankie700 Big blind   £0.30 £0.45 £31.42
  Your hole cards
  • A
  • K

ricoramb03 Fold        
Popeye747 Fold        
foldUfairy Raise   £0.90 £1.35 £29.10
villain
Raise   £2.70 £4.05 £33.19
frankie700 Call   £2.55 £6.60 £28.87
foldUfairy Raise   £8.10 £14.70 £21.00
villain
All-in   £33.19 £47.89 £0.00
frankie700 Fold        
foldUfairy All-in   £21.00 £68.89 £0.00
villain
Unmatched bet   £6.04 £62.85 £6.04
villain
Show
  • ?

foldUfairy Show
  • A
  • K

Flop

Turn

River

• Q

£61.05    

Comments

• edited April 2013
    4b smaller, but fine. wp
  • edited April 2013

4 bet smaller, and i think getting AK in pre, especially when you have no reads, is the most overrated move in poker, just my opinion.  What do you honestly expect to be against when his getting it in pre.  Nearly always he has a pocket pair and hardly ever does he ship pre with AQ, plus its not a tourney your in a cash game, cash games are about patience and i think theres no need to get AK in pre, i think this is overplaying the hand.

What did villian have out of curiousity?

• edited April 2013
    Well we have blockers to both AA and KK Robbie and there is alot of dead money in the pot, so if we 100% KNOW we are facing a pair then we should still call in this spot.

But yeah as JJ said, 4bet smaller and wp
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button:
    Well we have blockers to both AA and KK Robbie and there is alot of dead money in the pot, so if we 100% KNOW we are facing a pair then we should still call in this spot. But yeah as JJ said, 4bet smaller and wp
    Posted by Lambert180
    The worse situaton to face percentage wise is AKvs AA, and AKvs KK, the rest of what your against your fliping, thats correct your flipping your full stack in a cash game.  Okay the combos of aa-kk are only 6 because we have blockers but still i really dont think its profitable to do this, unless you are confident the villian is splashing around then i think its fine.  I know alot of people will disagree with it, but i honestly think its somthing to think about
  • edited April 2013
    In this spot 4bet/call is fine.
    Sometimes you can flat to keep the BB fish in and protect your 3bet calling range on the button.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button : The worse situaton to face percentage wise is AKvs AA, and AKvs KK, the rest of what your against your fliping, thats correct your flipping your full stack in a cash game.  Okay the combos of aa-kk are only 6 because we have blockers but still i really dont think its profitable to do this, unless you are confident the villian is splashing around then i think its fine.  I know alot of people will disagree with it, but i honestly think its somthing to think about
    Posted by robbie1992
    Because when we call we're getting 3/1 (i think) and we only need 2/1 to break even. thats based on a range of 22-QQ. Obviously we can include weaker aces and on occassions weaker kings v some villians. 

Are you playing 200 tables and folding till you find aces robbie? 
  • edited April 2013
    I nearly timed out so that is not my standard 4bet sizing, i completely agree that it's too big.

Thanks for the input, the general response seems to be to 4bet/call it off in this spot 100x deep.

The villain had KKs btw.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button : Because when we call we're getting 3/1 (i think) and we only need 2/1 to break even. thats based on a range of 22-QQ. Obviously we can include weaker aces and on occassions weaker kings v some villians.  Are you playing 200 tables and folding till you find aces robbie? 
    Posted by The_Don90[/QUOTE

Naa 600 tables and only if I get 2 aces the exact same suit then I might go all in.... Maybe.
  • edited April 2013

All that matters when deciding whether to 4-bet is whether you can get value from weaker hands by doing so or if you can get better to fold. Obviously nothing better than AK is going to fold, so ask yourself if your opponent(s) can call or raise your 4-bet with worse hands. If not, then don't 4-bet. If their 3-betting range is quite wide and contains hands you beat or are flipping against, call and play a flop. If their 3-betting range is so tight that it only contains AA, KK, QQ and AK, then fold.

It's a wholly player dependent decision...

Once you've made this 4-bet you shouldn't be folding. Your 4-bet size has left you with pot odds of 2:1 meaning you need equity of around 33% against his 5-betting range to make the call break-even. If his range is now even as tight as AA, KK, QQ and AK, you're getting the right price to call.

However, if you think he folds all of his weaker hands to your 4-bet and only calls or 5-bets with that narrow range, then you shouldn't be 4-betting. You shouldn't have to ask yourself "Should I call this 5-bet?" because you should have answered that question before 4-betting.

• edited April 2013
    I nearly timed out so that is not my standard 4bet sizing, i completely agree that it's too big. Thanks for the input, the general response seems to be to 4bet/call it off in this spot 100x deep. The villain had KKs btw.
    Posted by foldUfairy
    And it will be most the time and when it's not ur be flipping for your 100bb stack pre with a unpaired hand.
  • edited April 2013
    Some pokerstoves

---
      10,273,824  games     0.000 secs     2,054,764,800  games/sec

Board: 
    Dead:  

equity win tie      pots won pots tied
    Hand 0: 23.123%   22.60% 00.52%       2322225    53437.50   { AcKc }
    Hand 1: 76.877%   76.36% 00.52%       7844724    53437.50   { KK+ }

---

---
      25,684,560  games     0.000 secs     5,136,912,000  games/sec

Board: 
    Dead:  

Hand 0: 40.246%   13.34% 26.91%       3425229  6911839.50   { AcKc }
    Hand 1: 59.754%   32.84% 26.91%       8435652  6911839.50   { KK+, AKs, AKo }

---

---
      35,958,384  games     0.000 secs     7,191,676,800  games/sec

Board: 
    Dead:  

Hand 0: 41.904%   22.62% 19.28%       8133909  6934104.00   { AcKc }
    Hand 1: 58.096%   38.81% 19.28%      13956267  6934104.00   { QQ+, AKs, AKo }

---

So yea, basically we should fold vs a range of just KK+ and 4bet/call if he can have QQ+, AK in his range. With the extra dead money in the pot from the BBs cold call it makes our price even better. Sometimes he might even be spazzing with A5s or something.

• edited April 2013
    You don't seem to understand Robbie that cash is all about long term good decisions. If you're rolled for the level properly then it shouldn't matter that yuo're 'flipping with an unpaired hand'.

Imagine you have the opponent can only ever have AA, KK, QQ, JJ or AK, we have a 42% chance of winning the hand from this point if we get it all in.

So we put in £21 to win £62.85

We are getting nearly 3to1 on something that's almost a flip. If someone said I'll flip a coin, if you guess wrong you lose £10, if you guess right you win £30, that's pretty good odds, right?

The only range where this isn't a profitable call is if the opponent can only ever have AA or KK 100% of the time, there are very few players who are this tight. If there is a single other hand in their range, it's profitable.
  • edited April 2013
    To everyone advocating 4betting to a smaller amount: what amount exactly would you 4bet to? You all realise that BB has cold called the 3bet as well. There's nothing much wrong with the sizing IMO because it's not like we're going to be 4bet-bluff folding here so we may as well make it a size where in case one of the 2 players does call we can happily shove most flops. If we make it £6 for example and both/one player decides to call our stack size can be slightly awkward making it harder to play the flop if we miss.
  • edited April 2013
    I just realised... not that it matters, but was I the villian in this hand Fairy?
  • edited April 2013
    I just realised... not that it matters, but was I the villian in this hand Fairy?
    Posted by Lambert180
    If was you, it's an easy fold, u had 2 red aces imo :)
  • edited April 2013
    To everyone advocating 4betting to a smaller amount: what amount exactly would you 4bet to? You all realise that BB has cold called the 3bet as well. There's nothing much wrong with the sizing IMO because it's not like we're going to be 4bet-bluff folding here so we may as well make it a size where in case one of the 2 players does call we can happily shove most flops. If we make it £6 for example and both/one player decides to call our stack size can be slightly awkward making it harder to play the flop if we miss.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    This. 4betting smaller has little benefit and just leads to harder decisions.
  • edited April 2013
    All that matters when deciding whether to 4-bet is whether you can get value from weaker hands by doing so or if you can get better to fold. Obviously nothing better than AK is going to fold, so ask yourself if your opponent(s) can call or raise your 4-bet with worse hands. If not, then don't 4-bet. If their 3-betting range is quite wide and contains hands you beat or are flipping against, call and play a flop. If their 3-betting range is so tight that it only contains AA, KK, QQ and AK, then fold. It's a wholly player dependent decision... Once you've made this 4-bet you shouldn't be folding. Your 4-bet size has left you with pot odds of 2:1 meaning you need equity of around 33% against his 5-betting range to make the call break-even. If his range is now even as tight as AA, KK, QQ and AK, you're getting the right price to call. However, if you think he folds all of his weaker hands to your 4-bet and only calls or 5-bets with that narrow range, then you shouldn't be 4-betting. You shouldn't have to ask yourself "Should I call this 5-bet?" because you should have answered that question before 4-betting.
    Posted by BorinLoner

As you say borinloner "it's a wholly player dependent desicion" and having reads on a villain makes it much easier to come to a decision in this spot.

But what would you do with no reads on a villain in this situation with no way of using any info to come to a decision? this is what i would like to know as i have no way of assessing what the villains range is in this spot having only just moved up.
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by Lambert180
    No it wasn't you lambert
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button : As you say borinloner "it's a wholly player dependent desicion" and having reads on a villain makes it much easier to come to a decision in this spot. But what would you do with no reads on a villain in this situation with no way of using any info to come to a decision? this is what i would like to know as i have no way of assessing what the villains range is in this spot having only just moved up.
    Posted by foldUfairy
    You don't need to have seen the hands he's 3-bet with to have an idea of his 3-betting range. If this is the first time he's done it in half an hour at the table, then his range is probably very tight. If he's done it three times in four orbits, then his range is probably not so tight. Make sure you watch hands that don't go to showdown and hands that you're not involved in.

Your table image is also a vital consideration when deciding whether to 4-bet. I should mention that more often on threads like this (Reminder to myself as much as to you). If you're perceived to be very tight then you should be less inclined to 4-bet because it's tougher for opponents to get it in with weak hands. If you're perceived to be very loose, then you should be more inclined to 4-bet with your strong hands because you're more likely to be called or 5-bet by weaker hands.

If we say that this is a brand new player to us, who's just arrived at the table, I think we should assume that he has a tight 3-betting range until we see otherwise. I'd quite like flat-calling the 3-bet and playing the flop in position, in those circumstances. We definitely shouldn't be 4-bet-folding though, 100BB deep. If we 4-bet it has to be to get it in without reads that our opponent is tight. That's because we have to be making the assumption that he can be stacking off light to justify making the 4-bet.

In a vacuum, 4-bet to get it in or just flat the 3-bet. I'd assume he's tight so I'd just flat-call and see a flop in position. Out of position I'd be happier to get it in pre-flop, depending on which position the raise was coming from.
  • edited April 2013
    You don't seem to understand Robbie that cash is all about long term good decisions. If you're rolled for the level properly then it shouldn't matter that yuo're 'flipping with an unpaired hand'. Imagine you have the opponent can only ever have AA, KK, QQ, JJ or AK, we have a 42% chance of winning the hand from this point if we get it all in. So we put in £21 to win £62.85 We are getting nearly 3to1 on something that's almost a flip. If someone said I'll flip a coin, if you guess wrong you lose £10, if you guess right you win £30, that's pretty good odds, right? The only range where this isn't a profitable call is if the opponent can only ever have AA or KK 100% of the time, there are very few players who are this tight. If there is a single other hand in their range, it's profitable.
    Posted by Lambert180
    You dont have to be so arrogant and ignorant in every comment you make on this forum, were all here to help our games and that will come through discussion of certain situation, it doesnt get helped by acting like your the best player in the world and everyone isnt on your level.  This was my opinion and its helped because everyone has now said alot of helpful stuff in relation to it, nothing is 100% in poker....well near nothing.

This hand made me curious so i done some calculations just to see where you stand. (all the ranges are fairly rough)

VS a Nit range (KK+, AK/AKS) - 40% underdog
    VS a Tag range ( 1010+, AKo, AQS+) 46% underdog
    VS a Fish range (22+, ajo+, kjs+, a9s+ ) 54% favourite

So even this suprised me as even against a fishy range your only slightly favourite

Now the maths.

ev vs nit = £9.6
    ev vs TAG= £13.44
    ev vs fish = £19.2

Although these calculations are all based upon the price when you 4bet and he shoves.

Hope this helped.
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Robbie,

I really didn't mean to sound arrogant or ignorant. I'm definitely not the best player at my level or even close, especially as I've only been playing this level for a month or so.

It was only because you seemed more focussed on whether we were gonna always be up against worse hands rather than the EV of the situation. Sorry if I came across badly, I've said this a few times but when I was learning the people who helped me the most and got it to stick in my head were always the people who were VERY direct, straight to the point and at times sometimes harsh.

Everyone's different though, like on 861 when they are diplomatic and see someone do something bad and an analyst says 'mmm well you could have played it a bit better...', I personally respond much better if they said to me 'what are you doing! This is really bad, you should never be doing XYZ...' but yeah everyone's different, no hard feelings I hope.

And yeah, granted we only have to correct price to call once we 4bet, and sometimes we can get ourselves in spots where we've madea a mistake and ended up inadvertently giving ourselves the right price to call even though we shouldn't have got ourselves into the situation in the first place. Some would argue that we shouldn't 4bet in the first place
  • edited April 2013
    Hi Robbie, I really didn't mean to sound arrogant or ignorant. I'm definitely not the best player at my level or even close, especially as I've only been playing this level for a month or so. It was only because you seemed more focussed on whether we were gonna always be up against worse hands rather than the EV of the situation. Sorry if I came across badly, I've said this a few times but when I was learning the people who helped me the most and got it to stick in my head were always the people who were VERY direct, straight to the point and at times sometimes harsh. Everyone's different though, like on 861 when they are diplomatic and see someone do something bad and an analyst says 'mmm well you could have played it a bit better...', I personally respond much better if they said to me 'what are you doing! This is really bad, you should never be doing XYZ...' but yeah everyone's different, no hard feelings I hope. And yeah, granted we only have to correct price to call once we 4bet, and sometimes we can get ourselves in spots where we've madea a mistake and ended up inadvertently giving ourselves the right price to call even though we shouldn't have got ourselves into the situation in the first place. Some would argue that we shouldn't 4bet in the first place
    Posted by Lambert180
    no worries at all , just somtimes the way some people talk isnt helpful but i understand you wasnt trying to come across in the wrong way, no hard feelings at all.  Poker is such a complex game with many different things to analyse so when somone says somthing like its easy to know without thinking i just dont think its helpful.

Yeah thats why i find this situation weird you arguably are making a mistake by 4 bet against a possiable NIT but that mistake then gives you the platform to make a correct call of the all in lol so hard to get your head around somtimes.

In all i think this move is fine oop because its horriable to flat miss the flop and c/f, but essentially there are 2 different options, flat against a NIT and some Tags and 4 bet all in against fish and some Tags based upon the reads you have.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button : no worries at all , just somtimes the way some people talk isnt helpful but i understand you wasnt trying to come across in the wrong way, no hard feelings at all.  Poker is such a complex game with many different things to analyse so when somone says somthing like its easy to know without thinking i just dont think its helpful. Yeah thats why i find this situation weird you arguably are making a mistake by 4 bet against a possiable NIT but that mistake then gives you the platform to make a correct call of the all in lol so hard to get your head around somtimes. In all i think this move is fine oop because its horriable to flat miss the flop and c/f, but essentially there are 2 different options, flat against a NIT and some Tags and 4 bet all in against fish and some Tags based upon the reads you have.
    Posted by robbie1992
    i actually spoke to a player who i won't name privately not that long ago, and they play a much better game than me and ii actually dicsussed AK v nits, and he says v certain opponents he just folds AK because its soo much easier than having the desisions v a tight range post flop. Obviously this does help the op who is readless. 

Im not going to say anything about the hand much, my comment before was meant in humor u seemed to take it as such :) 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button : i actually spoke to a player who i won't name privately not that long ago, and they play a much better game than me and ii actually dicsussed AK v nits, and he says v certain opponents he just folds AK because its soo much easier than having the desisions v a tight range post flop. Obviously this does help the op who is readless.  Im not going to say anything about the hand much, my comment before was meant in humor u seemed to take it as such :) 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I was dead serious nothing but the nuts is good enough ;) 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 30nl - AKs on the button : i actually spoke to a player who i won't name privately not that long ago, and they play a much better game than me and ii actually dicsussed AK v nits, and he says v certain opponents he just folds AK because its soo much easier than having the desisions v a tight range post flop. Obviously this does help the op who is readless.  Im not going to say anything about the hand much, my comment before was meant in humor u seemed to take it as such :) 
    Posted by The_Don90

you're both very silly billys.

has my new diplomatic technique worked?

• edited April 2013
    I obviously don't know the dynamic of the game you were in or between you and villain, I don't mind flatting here some of the time vs a tight player and playing vs them in pos post flop. If he has been generally active and also aggro vs your button steals then its obviously a 4-bet but smaller (you know this) and then getting it in to a 5-bet shove.