You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Rebuy Tournaments: Your views.

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi all,

Ive been playing poker for some time now and have read a few books and watched a lot of poker on TV but I have never come across much about rebuy tournaments and how to play them, how many times you would rebuy and when was not a good time to rebuy.

Also, the addon. When would you take or not take it. 

Everyone will have their own views and I would love to hear them.

My personal view and what Ive had most success with is I hardly ever rebuy and never add on. Albiet its harder to get going but the play is so loose if you pick your spots then you can build your stack just as well. You just have to accept the outdraws and not dwell too much on other ppls stacks in the way you think you have to play catchup and that applies to your stack to BB ratio. Ppl call so light you can aford to try and wait one or two more orbits to push with better hands.

I look forward to other peoples views and how you've had your success. Im looking to see what I can add to my way of playing these.

Thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    A lot of the time the add on is almost essential as it's adding a huge proportion to your stack. I usually instantly take a rebuy straight away too, especially if at least one other person on my table has so I have everyone on the table covered which allows me to maximise my value. 

I definitely think not rebuying or adding on gives you a huge disadvantage
  • edited April 2013

alan, alan, alan... maxally?...alan....

• edited April 2013
    I always rebuy 1st hand to have a double stack and always take the add-on no matter how big/small my stack is. If I bust, I'd probably only rebuy if it would bring me back in with a relevantly decent stack, and it would always be a double rebuy.

Rebuys are great imo, build much bigger prize pools from people who keep rebuying multiple times. And yes some people will play too loose thinking they can just rebuy if they bust which is even better :)
  • edited April 2013
    Taking a rebuy is optional (but I always take one straight away) but IMO taking the add-on is a must. The add-on is usually more chips than a rebuy and by not taking it you are just putting yourself at a huge disadvantage.
    Any rebuy MTT I play I consider it to be a 3x buy in tourney minimum.
    So the £11 rebuy to me is a £33 Mtt poss more if there is good value and you want to keep on rebuying.
  • edited April 2013
    im the same has jonjo
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Rebuy Tournaments: Your views.:
    I always rebuy 1st hand to have a double stack and always take the add-on no matter how big/small my stack is. If I bust, I'd probably only rebuy if it would bring me back in with a relevantly decent stack, and it would always be a double rebuy. Rebuys are great imo, build much bigger prize pools from people who keep rebuying multiple times. And yes some people will play too loose thinking they can just rebuy if they bust which is even better :)
    Posted by Lambert180

This, Lambert has described optimal rebuy strategy. We instantly rebuy because it allows us to play more poker and build a stack. I would take one double rebuy in a small stakes mtt if I bust out, because I expect to cash at least 1 in 3/4 times(well at least in the 6:30 pm jobbie!). 

Lots of players will leave the mtt if they bust one buyin, thats madness imo and just creates value for the optimal players. With the 6:30pm, by the time you take the addon youve got at least average chips only 60-70 players left and 13 cashing ! 

There are some massive $2 and $3 buyin rebuys on stars, with big prizes ftw. I wish sky would realise that these mtts are popular. You only have to look at the ukops micro rebuy to see. 

• edited April 2013
    compare rebuy chips, with addon chips, and price, and structure, and then look atyour bankroll and decide what you'll do.
  • edited April 2013
    addon is a must in my opinion, allways rebuy straight away for a double starting stack, i dont rebuy any more than 6 times unless im in a really tilty mood!!!