You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

poker books

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
As the title suggests I'm interested in picking up some poker books to try and improve my game. Read one of hellmuths books but it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. Basically it was 400 pages of play tight and aggressive. I'm not interested in books that devote about 5 chapters to beginners/basics. 

Any suggestions? What's the best poker book you've ever read? How much difference did it make to your game?

Ps I should say I'm mainly looking for nl hold'em books.

Thanks in advance
Jd

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Tournament, cash or SnG's?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: poker books:
    Tournament, cash or SnG's?
    Posted by Ms_Chips
    Tournaments and sng's mainly but wouldnt mind if contained some cash info
  • edited April 2013
    Harrington on Hold'em. Even if he plays like a bit of a nit, the stuff you'll learn about fold equity and when to start moving the short stack around a bit will help you I am sure. 
  • edited April 2013
    If you're serious about improving and that's what you're looking to do, I'd probably ditch the idea about buying books and use all the free information online that a) explains things way better b) is newer and so is more relevant and c) cheaper :-)
  • edited April 2013
    Tbh im a self taught player watch the odd poker video but i dnt think anything beats just playing the game to get better 
  • edited April 2013
    If you're serious about improving and that's what you're looking to do, I'd probably ditch the idea about buying books and use all the free information online that a) explains things way better b) is newer and so is more relevant and c) cheaper :-)
    Posted by percival09
    Any good links?

the problem with the online stuff is it's hard to know which is good stuff to follow or not i.e. some of the guys on youtube who have poker tutorials if you sharkscope them they're losing players.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: poker books : Any good links? the problem with the online stuff is it's hard to know which is good stuff to follow or not i.e. some of the guys on youtube who have poker tutorials if you sharkscope them they're losing players.
    Posted by jdsallstar
    not going to spoon feed you. Tonnes of free good info
  • edited April 2013
    Harrington on Hold'em. Even if he plays like a bit of a nit, the stuff you'll learn about fold equity and when to start moving the short stack around a bit will help you I am sure. 
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    Thanks Dave. his books look pretty good from the reviews i've seen. for all the volumes they're reasonably pricey so i'll have to have a check online to see if i can get them through sites that you can legitimately download things like this ;)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: poker books : not going to spoon feed you. Tonnes of free good info
    Posted by percival09
    But spoon fed is so much easier lol only joking. I'll have a google and see what i can find. many thanks
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: poker books : Thanks Dave. his books look pretty good from the reviews i've seen. for all the volumes they're reasonably pricey so i'll have to have a check online to see if i can get them through sites that you can legitimately download things like this ;)
    Posted by jdsallstar
    I know what you mean, but it's good value for money compared to some of the other stuff I've read. :)
  • edited April 2013
    Lots of discussion on this before, see the threads HERE, HERE and HERE.
  • edited April 2013
    Lots of discussion on this before, see the threads HERE , HERE and HERE .
    Posted by Machka
    That's perfect thanks! Plenty of suggestions in there for me to look at. Harringtons seems to be mentioned a lot along with super system so they're the favourites at the moment.

Thanks again
    Jd
  • edited April 2013
    Hi. I can not recommend Playing Poker Tournaments One Hand At A Time enough. Volume I, II and III are excellent. The reason they are so good is they don't bore/confuse you with tactics and methods etc but basically takes three top notch online professionals and takes you through there personnel hands and they explain how and why they took each decision on each street and various situations. 

It's a big help in how to define yours and others ranges and gives you a way of thinking how to play and what to think about in various situations. It's something you can easily try to adapt to your own game without drastic changes. 
  • edited April 2013

Easy Game Vol 1/2/3 by Balugawhale are all great books. If you buy them, they are expensive though. I heard a rumour you are able to download them from torrent sites. That is illegal though and you shouldn't do it. I also heard there is a torrent available from many of the popular torrent sites that contains 250 of the best poker books available. Don't download these books in torrent form though, it is illegal and I would never suggest you do this :-) .

I saw a criminals computer by accident recently after I tripped and fell straight in-front of the monitor and I wasn't able to look away in time before I saw the list of books, there are some amazing strategy books contained in the 250 torrent. The criminal tried to tell me that it took around 15 minutes to download and was found at a site that sounded something like "eye so runt" ( with different spelling ). I covered my ears as stealing is wrong and I don't want to give myself nightmares.

• edited April 2013
    Easy Game Vol 1/2/3 by Balugawhale are all great books. If you buy them, they are expensive though. I heard a rumour you are able to download them from torrent sites. That is illegal though and you shouldn't do it. I also heard there is a torrent available from many of the popular torrent sites that contains 250 of the best poker books available. Don't download these books in torrent form though, it is illegal and I would never suggest you do this :-) .   I saw a criminals computer by accident recently after I tripped and fell straight in-front of the monitor and I wasn't able to look away in time before I saw the list of books, there are some amazing strategy books contained in the 250 torrent. The criminal tried to tell me that it took around 15 minutes to download and was found at a site that sounded something like "eye so runt" ( with different spelling ). I covered my ears as stealing is wrong and I don't want to give myself nightmares.
    Posted by H3lp-PDSA
    Haha brilliantly worded post. I took your advice and didn't download these books I wouldn't want to be involved in anything illegal. I did however have a dream last night that I did in fact find the torrent, download it and all the books were magically all now on my computer. oh well I suppose we can all dream!!
  • edited April 2013
    :-) , I hope you enjoy learning from the books in your dreams. Balugawhale ( Andrew Siedman ) is the best teacher I have seen on videos or read in forums and books. He explains things very clearly and every action a player makes at the table has to have a reason. Constantly in his books and videos he justifies why he makes certain plays. Rather than just saying a player should raise in a particular spot like many books do without explaining why, he runs through a little checklist and gives reasons why a raise is the correct play as well as other plays that may be effective. Easygame is the best NL book available.
  • edited April 2013
    Id reccomend books for a complete beginner but if you already have the knowledge of hand rankings etc id reccomend that you stay away from books as a hell of a lot of the stuff in them is old school poker.  Reading books could make you do stuff that is wrong nowadays.  Eg if i can remember right im nearly sure doyle brunson advocated limp reraising with aces in supersystem when i read it about 3 years ago.  This is totally out of date this stuff and incorrect.  Id reccomend investing your money in 1 of the training sites instead of books.  Not too sure what the best 1 is as ive never used the training sites subscritpion but there are sites out there like deuces cracked among others.
  • edited April 2013
    Id reccomend books for a complete beginner but if you already have the knowledge of hand rankings etc id reccomend that you stay away from books as a hell of a lot of the stuff in them is old school poker.  Reading books could make you do stuff that is wrong nowadays.  Eg if i can remember right im nearly sure doyle brunson advocated limp reraising with aces in supersystem when i read it about 3 years ago.  This is totally out of date this stuff and incorrect.  Id reccomend investing your money in 1 of the training sites instead of books.  Not too sure what the best 1 is as ive never used the training sites subscritpion but there are sites out there like deuces cracked among others.
    Posted by bearlyther
    i'm way past the complete beginner stage and just knowing the hand rankings but thanks for the advice
  • edited April 2013
    :-) , I hope you enjoy learning from the books in your dreams. Balugawhale ( Andrew Siedman ) is the best teacher I have seen on videos or read in forums and books. He explains things very clearly and every action a player makes at the table has to have a reason. Constantly in his books and videos he justifies why he makes certain plays. Rather than just saying a player should raise in a particular spot like many books do without explaining why, he runs through a little checklist and gives reasons why a raise is the correct play as well as other plays that may be effective. Easygame is the best NL book available.
    Posted by H3lp-PDSA
    good man i'll definitely check them out during my dream reading!!
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by bearlyther

I just subscribed to Grinders School. They target a range of games up to $1/2 and below. My reason for joining them was because I am a micro/small stakes player and most of the other training sites such as cardrunners and DC make videos aimed at higher stakes players. They are also cheaper than the other training sites, I paid $33 for a three month subscription. They have videos for NL cash, MTT, Sng, etc. Over 1000 to watch :-)