You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

hmmmm

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance Small blind £0.10£0.10£44.79 Big blind £0.20£0.30£32.27 Your hole cardsKJ    Fold    robbie1992Raise £0.60£0.90£63.81Fold     Call £0.50£1.40£44.29 Raise £2.00£3.40£30.27robbie1992Call £1.60£5.00£62.21 Fold    Flop  6J10    Bet £5.00£10.00£25.27robbie1992Call £5.00£15.00£57.21Turn  5    Check    robbie1992Check    River  3    Check    robbie1992Bet £5.20£20.20£52.01xCall £5.20£25.40£20.07robbie1992ShowKJ   xShow    x  £24.13 £44.20
2 QUESITONS

1. is this a bad call pre, his TAG and i thought its a good spot to squeeze, im in position and ahead of alot of his squeezing range,
2. is it a value bet on the river, and if it is have i gone to small?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    You should never call his 3 bet with K/J What really are you beating?.Why would you want to squeeze bet on 10/20p tables?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: hmmmm:
    You should never call his 3 bet with K/J What really are you beating?.Why would you want to squeeze bet on 10/20p tables?
    Posted by est1967
    There had been previous squeezes from this opponent, plus ill have position and expect him to give up after he CB the flop
  • edited April 2013
    given what youve said i think 4betting is better than calling. 

Post flop, i call river as played. Athough i may consider betting turn. 
  • edited April 2013
    calling 3bet is totally dependant on who your opponent is and how they play most of time vs tight regs I will prob fold most times and the odd time threw in a 4bet if they are 3bettin quite frequently vs me.

but I think calling is fine if your read is solid that they only c-bet then slowdown turn if do not improve plus you have position but don`t do it too often some gd players will use this againist you and check back big hands on turn for you to hang yourself in the hand.

river they have checked again so pretty confident your hand is best but I really dont think opponent has much at all ak/aq or maybe at best we are hoping to get value from 10x/99/88/77 but would opponent 3bet those hands so I think your sizing is fine and ak/aq may call hoping you are bluffin or missed your draw.
  • edited April 2013
    If he's tight-aggressive, why do you assume he's even capable of squeezing? You think he normally plays a tight range but in this hand you're proceeding as though he has a loose range.

Against a tight player, I think this is a fold pre-flop. Against a loose player I think it's better to 4-bet than fold. The things I'd want to know if I was going to call would be that this guy c-bets too often on all kinds of flops and then gives up on the turn, allowing me to take it down with a bet. Obviously playing fit-or-fold on the flop is going to be very bad - We can't, in most circumstances, make big pots with our one-pair hands and be winning and we obviously lose a bundle from all the times we miss and just fold to a c-bet.

The reference to squeezing should only be as a bluff. If we've seen him 3-bet a raise and a call before, it's not a squeeze if he had a big hand. We should want to have seen that he had weak hands when doing this for the read to be useful. We also need to think that he's doing this reasonbly often and not just giving himself an image that he can take advantage of.

You need to think about your own image: You've raised in early position and if your image is one of a tight player and if your opponent is a good, thinking player, you shouldn't be expecting him to squeeze light in this situation too often. If you'd raised the button and the small blind had called, that's a much more classic situation for him to squeeze from the big blind because both you and the small blind can have weak ranges.

(Actually it looks like you were five-handed and raised from the cut-off. It's hard to tell because you deleted all the aliases. Don't do that btw. It just makes things confusing. Give them pseudonyms instead.)

Having made the call, I like the way you played it post-flop. Would you be calling the turn if he barrelled it?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: hmmmm:
    If he's tight-aggressive, why do you assume he's even capable of squeezing? You think he normally plays a tight range but in this hand you're proceeding as though he has a loose range. Against a tight player, I think this is a fold pre-flop. Against a loose player I think it's better to 4-bet than fold. The things I'd want to know if I was going to call would be that this guy c-bets too often on all kinds of flops and then gives up on the turn, allowing me to take it down with a bet. Obviously playing fit-or-fold on the flop is going to be very bad - We can't, in most circumstances, make big pots with our one-pair hands and be winning and we obviously lose a bundle from all the times we miss and just fold to a c-bet. The reference to squeezing should only be as a bluff. If we've seen him 3-bet a raise and a call before, it's not a squeeze if he had a big hand. We should want to have seen that he had weak hands when doing this for the read to be useful. We also need to think that he's doing this reasonbly often and not just giving himself an image that he can take advantage of. You need to think about your own image: You've raised in early position and if your image is one of a tight player and if your opponent is a good, thinking player, you shouldn't be expecting him to squeeze light in this situation too often. If you'd raised the button and the small blind had called, that's a much more classic situation for him to squeeze from the big blind because both you and the small blind can have weak ranges. (Actually it looks like you were five-handed and raised from the cut-off. It's hard to tell because you deleted all the aliases. Don't do that btw. It just makes things confusing. Give them pseudonyms instead.) Having made the call, I like the way you played it post-flop. Would you be calling the turn if he barrelled it?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Oh sorry thought u had to delete it out of respect for there game,i wont in future or just put positions instead.

HMM yeah i suppose they wouldnt squeeze if they thought i was loose but this is 20 nl so theres alot of mistakes here isnt there. If i 4 bet here though and the flop comes how it does what do i do? arnt i just setting myself up to just lose pot control and feel uncomfortable in a bloated pot which i dont want to bluff aT?? ......i think against some opponents i call the barrell but not here his line looks very strong i think