You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Transition from 4nl > 10nl

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
Morning all,

Just wondering what people consider most important from moving from 4nl to 10nl. bankroll aside I am thinking the following.

1, mental aspect of betting bigger amounts and emotional aspect of losing bigger pots
2, table selection as tbh at 4nl there is never going to be more than 2 people with any decent ability at the table, whereas 10nl has a fair few competent/good regs
3, more losing sessions and less of a log on, winning session, log off routine that 4nl offers (most of the time at least)
4, more thinking poker, and less bet hands, fold air and profit.

Furthermore what would you consider the learning curve at 10nl? is the first month breaking even okay? or just a sign of not being good enough or not adapting correctly?

I would be happy to take month 1 as breakeven if helps me learn the game.

Any experienced comments welcome

Cheers

Comments

• edited April 2013
    not much difference tbh. 

you're still going to win the majority of your money by value betting. Learn how to value bet thin, learn how to bet fold, learn how to be disciplined, learn how to play positonally. Don't do anything fancy. Don't call people good regs. 

There are loads of fish and bad regs at 10nl, learn how to fold and how to value bet and I promise you you'll have a good winrate!
  • edited April 2013
    Learn to fold when raised, apart from that - identify where the value is

Just more tight regs at nl10 than nl4

use your notes and make lots of notes

• edited April 2013
    hi calcalfold,
    should be interesting to hear from any regs playing nl10.
    as i'm pretty much in the same boat as yourself atm playing nl4 i'm not qualified to give you any proper answers.saying that,i have played there,or tried to at least, a few times,and it simply the losing of £10 rather than £4 that i've found to be the main difficulty.
    at nl 4 you lose a buy-in,and ok you're not happy but you simply reload and expect to win it back,don't you.
    at nl10 it's not that easy,you lose a buy-in and ok you reload no problem,but if you should lose another,that's£20 or so,and suddenly you are thinking of the money involved and not just playing,and trying to win it back
    like at nl4.
    as to the difference in playing nl10 yes it's a better standard,obviously,as each level is,but not significantly.
    yes,you do get played back at more often,and the reg's will spot any weakness you may have straight away and bet accordingly.
    but there are still some weaker players that play there and i'd be searching for them and not play to many tables either,as i have done this,as many as 9 and against the reg's who are well rolled,they show no mercy.
    if you can play your normal game as at nl4 then i'm sure you could go a month breaking even.
    but then again,it could just as easily go the opposite way,as it did for me.one or two good sessions,break-even or better followed by a few losses and it's back to nl4 again.
    saying that you would learn from playing there,i know i did which i'm sure has helped me back at nl4.
    i'm going back there again sometime,don't know when,when i feel i'm ready i guess,but that's not right now.
    i'm not trying to put you off mate,far from it,although i'm sure this is coming across like that.
    it's a 2.5x jump up,so i'd say your b/roll should be that too...just in case.

good luck if you do have a go though.worse case scenario..see you back at nl4 in 4 weeks time. lol
    :)
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    tbh 4 nl and 10nl is the same apart from u get more respect when u raise and i find it a lil easier to bluff 

tight regs is a gd thing rancid we can have a image at the table n bluff more :) 
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, you'll always need to adjust when moving up levels that the £££ involved is more. If your BR is bigger in proportion then in theory it doesn't matter but it still feels like a much bigger deal getting it in AK v QQ for £20 than it does for £4 or w/e at first.

Agreed that table selection @ 4NL is pretty much pointless and it's useful to start doing it at 10NL, if only to get into good habits.

Others have covered it, it's still all about value betting, being able to fold, and re-assessing your hand when raised. You'll find a few more people at 10NL than you will at 4NL who are only ever raising postflop with very strong made hands.

Focus more on note taking, at least while you're getting started, and again if only to get yourself into good habits. Some people will check/raise a flop w/ TPTK, whereas some people will only do it with sets. Try to learn how people play their draws (are they c/r or just calling down, then betting once they hit or giving up if they don't), how do they play overpairs, do they just try to pile money in ASAP or do they just C/C it down, do they slowplay sets or do they go mental.

If you can get notes on bet sizing that's good too. Some people say there's an open to 30p, you 3bet you £1.20, they will 4bet to something ridiculous like £8.50 with ONLY KK/AA, you might get stung by this once if you have a very big hand but if you do, make note of it and enjoy the fact that's the last time they'll get any value out of AA/KK against you again.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Transition from 4nl > 10nl:
    Morning all, Just wondering what people consider most important from moving from 4nl to 10nl. bankroll aside I am thinking the following. 1, mental aspect of betting bigger amounts and emotional aspect of losing bigger pots 2, table selection as tbh at 4nl there is never going to be more than 2 people with any decent ability at the table, whereas 10nl has a fair few competent/good regs 3, more losing sessions and less of a log on, winning session, log off routine that 4nl offers (most of the time at least) 4, more thinking poker, and less bet hands, fold air and profit. Furthermore what would you consider the learning curve at 10nl? is the first month breaking even okay? or just a sign of not being good enough or not adapting correctly? I would be happy to take month 1 as breakeven if helps me learn the game. Any experienced comments welcome Cheers
    Posted by calcalfold
    Hi calcafold,

For me there's not enough players or tables at Sky to have the luxury of choosing between 4 and 10nl.

So long as I can find a table with two or three players I think I can beat I'll play any of the micro tables, 4,5,8,10nl Capped, Action, Master cash, Standard.

10-30 buyins is enough for me, my view is If I'm so bad as to lose thirty buy-ins at micro levels, it would be time to look for something else to do with my time!

Mind you, I have lost 25 buy-ins at 4nl in a straight line, about a year ago ;o}}

As an adendum I would add that I play better at 10nl Mastercash with 10bi's. than I do at 4nl with a thousand bi's!!!
    (Some deep seated psychological problems there I guess).

Dunno why I've gone off on a tangent re BI's as you didnt ask about that!!!!!!!!! Doh.