You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Grand National 2014

edited April 2013 in Betting Chat
Don't worry everyone, I'm not gonna bore u with another years thread. But I'd like to ask all the regs and experts who they fancy long term for next years race. I've spotted one that raced on Saturday. Will be 9 years old next year (persieved perfect age), from what it's shown loves the track and good fast/safe spring going, jumps well. And unlike On His Own, I'd quite like it to run a few times over the winter, on unsuitable slow going, to bring its revised rating (when it's published) down a few pounds. Wouldn't take Einstein to work out who I'm talking about. So what does everyone else think/fancy??

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Romanesco - ran a blinder in the Kim must when staying on 3rd, ran a blinder over Christmas And was getting up late to win on Easter Monday but went clean through the final fence.
    Upmost improvement will come from good ground and gordon Elliot clearly knows the time of day. 

33/1 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Grand National 2014:
    Romanesco - ran a blinder in the Kim must when staying on 3rd, ran a blinder over Christmas And was getting up late to win on Easter Monday but went clean through the final fence. Upmost improvement will come from good ground and gordon Elliot clearly knows the time of day.  33/1 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    Nice start Mr Bell, not what I fancy though. U think it would get the 4 1/2 miles? I thought its run petered out in the Kim Muir, ridden to get the distance and faded when it got there. Same in the Irish National.
  • edited April 2013
    For what its worth I wouldn't have battle group near me for the national his mark will go up a cartload and he's clearly in good nick at present but his fencing has been far from foot perfect in the past to make me comfortable going over the likes of valentines and the chair in a 40 runner!!! Be interesting if they send him to Ireland for one of the handicaps in 2 weeks all the same. Plus points are that the chase he won has thrown up leadin contenders in recent years. An hav to giv huge respect for such a wonderful training performance to win twice in 2 days over 2 different disiplines

P.s are we singin off the same hymn sheet re which horse u meant ??? Hahaha  ; ) 
  • edited April 2013
    For what its worth I wouldn't have battle group near me for the national his mark will go up a cartload and he's clearly in good nick at present but his fencing has been far from foot perfect in the past to make me comfortable going over the likes of valentines and the chair in a 40 runner!!! Be interesting if they send him to Ireland for one of the handicaps in 2 weeks all the same. Plus points are that the chase he won has thrown up leadin contenders in recent years. An hav to giv huge respect for such a wonderful training performance to win twice in 2 days over 2 different disiplines P.s are we singin off the same hymn sheet re which horse u meant ??? Hahaha  ; ) 
    Posted by BELL_POKER
    Lol yeah..... Bang on the button.... I'm thinking it will go up to the mid 140's, meaning 11st ish. That's why I'm hoping for a couple of mid winter runs in the bog, get its rating back down to 140 ish.

Btw I'm still 100% certain On His Own is much better than a 148 horse, I'm thinking the Hennessy in November might be a good race for him. What u think??
  • edited April 2013
    I'll need to watc the Kim must again but at the time I thot he was staying on well, he may have just been passing beaten horses to which I'll stand corrected but again thot he was stayin on onunsuitable muddy going over 3m 5f in the Irish equivalent and am pretty sure he was making ground on leading quartet rather than losing it. The question of 4m plus is unfortunately a lottery. T43 clearly gets it and was the moral victor on Saturday at the weights but just couldn't hold his position in front. The last 4 or 5 years weve seen the trends change where horses 11st + are actually the ones to keep onside and after auroras victory at bottom of weights we may be reverting bak to those at the bottom (ish) of the handicap

• edited April 2013
    U know what and without desperately sounding like I'm agreeing too much (!!!) and with ur antrpost bet fresh in mind I was thinking they could go the Hennessy route earlier today!! I'm a big bobs worth man and won me a lot last 3 runs but he'll go off top weight and bring everything else into it. For a horse that won his thystes so well And proved his wellbeing with that hurdles run earlier in year I think he'd have to go close if lining up. I also thot about last installment And if hell (if everreturnin touch wood) maintain the same promise. I bang on about this horse I'm unsure if many over the pond have seen him but I remember thinking last year in a 5 or 6 runner in ireland god that 1st lieutenant has gone off the boil and what it was in hindsight was last installment just making him look very ordinary. 

• edited April 2013
    what about pigdeon island very impressive when finally stepped up further in trip ,,good ground dependent always runs in very good races any form around fruity o rooney is good form thats the 3m benchmark ..i wiil be backing if entered.. 
  • edited April 2013
    what about pigdeon island very impressive when finally stepped up further in trip ,,good ground dependent always runs in very good races any form around fruity o rooney is good form thats the 3m benchmark ..i wiil be backing if entered.. 
    Posted by andybuck
    Fair enough pick
  • edited April 2013
    I dont know whether you remember this post

posted at 22/11/2012 2:28 PM GMT on SkyPoker.com
    First: 12/6/2011
    Last: 6/4/2013
    I don't know whether its good info or not but I've just put my afternoon bets on at my local bookies.
    And was stood at the counter next to a punter who collected several thousand pounds from ante post bets last Cheltenham festival.
    He backed three horses ante post in a £100 Win Patent and a £150 e/w treble
    The horses he backed were 
    Long Run 8/1 Gold Cup
    Dynaste 8/1 RSA chase
    Far West 10/1 Triumph Hurdle
    It could be the size of his bets are proportional to his bankroll but he seldom comes in the shop when he does it's usually to visit the payout counter.

Bumped into the same chap this weekend at BetFred & Corals both times he was waiting for a bet to be approved £250 E/W on Toronado for the 2000 Guineas at 12/1

So far as the national 2014 goes, I think my selection Swing Bill jumped superbly I just wish I'd taken the six places offer! firmer ground next year I think he'll run well
  • edited April 2013
    I am going to stick with Across The Bay!
    He will be spot on for next year!
  • edited April 2013
    Ok so ive got an interesting one.
    The Rainbow Hunter was an eyecathcher for me. 

Finished 2nd this year, albeit without Aiden Coleman in the saddle and subsequently the 10st6 on it's back!
    Unseated at the canal first time round but kept going right until the line using Auroras Encore as his pacemaker but let him go on at the elbow. Jumped and travelled with real fluency and conviction too.

Well worth a watch imo. 

• edited April 2013
    Ok so ive got an interesting one. The Rainbow Hunter was an eyecathcher for me.  Finished 2nd this year, albeit without Aiden Coleman in the saddle and subsequently the 10st6 on it's back! Unseated at the canal first time round but kept going right until the line using Auroras Encore as his pacemaker but let him go on at the elbow. Jumped and travelled with real fluency and conviction too. Well worth a watch imo. 
    Posted by Curt360x27
    Can't argue with anything u have written. Just a shame it has to carry 10st + overweight next year. 
  • edited April 2013
    Haven't got anything for you re next years National except for what to look for based on a few of the last runnings.

You must look at a horses long term career rather than its last three or four races.

Couldnt beleive Mon mome let off at 100-1 and if we had looked at his form for the two years previous to his win it would have shown he was thrown in.

Neptune Collonges, 33-1, although you didnt have to go as far back, ie his second in the trial if you had of done it would have reinforced the fact that he had a hell uva chance. 

This year Auroras encore had been running on ground which was not his and his weight collapsed accordingly. His second in last years Scottish National told us he liked the ground and got the trip.

The National is one of those races all trainers like to win and although some might be running without hope most will have been entered with the beleif they can win. No trainer is going to go to that race to give a horse a spin or as a prep race for another. So we have to get it into our heads that if a trainer has put the horse in the race he /she is looking to win it whatever the odds.

Ok I followed this train of thought with Imperial Commander this year and got bitten but that I feel was because he had so many setbacks this season , travelled well and then hit a wall rather than his handicap rating which was generous to say the least. 

Ok you need luck as well in this race but if you have other things in your favour you can make your own luck to a certain extent. For example Auroras Encore could be ridden handy because they knew he could get the trip, liked the ground and had a light weight =not many horses he had to worry about avaoiding.

So my tip is look at a horses best form in the last two years, trust the trainer and accordingly and this is certainly not a dig, dont back ante post, because until the weights are announced , the ground is determined and you have all the last two years form for each horse before you you will be very lucky to get the winner.!!

All the placed horses this year ran to the best form over the last two years. Cappa Bleu and Tea For three ultimately being beaten because the ground was too good for them , it didnt stop a good ground horse.  

A horse who will go close in a future national if it remains fit and gets its ground is Lord Windermere 

Can anybody tell me why a horse who didnt get home last year started at 11-2 favourite. It was never going to win a month of Sundays.    

• edited April 2013
    Simply weight of money after being the marketing girl for the race. all over the news day before etc. I know what your saying re ante post, but I'm gonna be having dribs and drabs on Battle Group throughout the year. Difference this time is I haven't a clue if it will be even entered. But the record from the race it won last Saturday in future Grand Nationals is tremendous.
  • edited April 2013
    hi joesman and all,  i have two for next year if fit and ready to go, 

they are both graham wylie horses (sorry) and are BACK IN FOCUS and PRICE DE BEAUCHENE.

BACK IN FOCUS will be 9y.o next year (ideal age) but has only run 4 times over fenches (a little worry, but not worried that not run oover fences before)  proves hes a stayer last time at cheltenham , but would need softer going.

PRINCE DE BEAUCHENE, would of been near FAV this year but for injury, hope he stays fit next year when will be 11y.o.  also hope owner decides to go stright to grand national )as runs will off a long break in past) or just 1 hurdle race in winter next year to keep hdc mark same.

hope this helps a little  and gl if placing bet but very early to pick a nice type for next year.
    if i had to plump for 1 horse i would stick with BACK IN FOCUS tho.
  • edited April 2013
    Good luck with Battle Group, they certainly had two touches this year. whether they will be clever enough to do it next year is a gamble. The horse definitely loves Aintree but will it take to the National fences and will it get the trip. If it doesnt get the latter it doesnt matter what race it ran in, it wont win.  

As to Seabass, there must be a lot of mug punters out there, although they had to do was use their eyes. More weight on a non stayer is never going to get it to win a race. The Trainer almost said as much when the weights were announced.

• edited April 2013
    hi joesman and all,  i have two for next year if fit and ready to go,  they are both graham wylie horses (sorry) and are BACK IN FOCUS and PRICE DE BEAUCHENE. BACK IN FOCUS will be 9y.o next year (ideal age) but has only run 4 times over fenches (a little worry, but not worried that not run oover fences before)  proves hes a stayer last time at cheltenham , but would need softer going. PRINCE DE BEAUCHENE, would of been near FAV this year but for injury, hope he stays fit next year when will be 11y.o.  also hope owner decides to go stright to grand national )as runs will off a long break in past) or just 1 hurdle race in winter next year to keep hdc mark same. hope this helps a little  and gl if placing bet but very early to pick a nice type for next year. if i had to plump for 1 horse i would stick with BACK IN FOCUS tho.
    Posted by ms-tree
    Hi ms-tree,

I know joesman likes your tip with Back in Focus as he reckoned it was a national horse from its Cheltenham run. I have been a fan of Prince De Beucherne being a Natioanl winner rather than On His Own for a long time now. The only problem is Willie never seems to be able to get the horse fit at the right time. With or without a previous run. 
  • edited April 2013
    Vaigret's post nails it.

It's all about having that grand national 'x factor' in a horse. When a 66/1 shot wins like Auroras Encore, at the time we are surprised but if you take a closer look through the form book it becomes clear that this horse had all the credentials to be a national winner. Firstly and most importantly it gets the trip, puts in its best performances in the spring, is back to running on preferred ground and carries a light weight due to poor performances through the winter. 
    Hindsight...........

As for Seabass, 11/2 was ludacris. If it was 1/2 mile less then maybe but it just doesn't stay the full trip. How are punters so oblivious! The bookies were loving the hype and therefore the money flooding in for this horse in the build up. 

• edited April 2013
    Vaigret's post nails it. It's all about having that grand national 'x factor' in a horse. When a 66/1 shot wins like Auroras Encore, at the time we are surprised but if you take a closer look through the form book it becomes clear that this horse had all the credentials to be a national winner. Firstly and most importantly it gets the trip, puts in its best performances in the spring, is back to running on preferred ground and carries a light weight due to poor performances through the winter.  Hindsight........... As for Seabass, 11/2 was ludacris. If it was 1/2 mile less then maybe but it just doesn't stay the full trip. How are punters so oblivious! The bookies were loving the hype and therefore the money flooding in for this horse in the build up.     
    Posted by Curt360x27
    thanks Curt

next year I am going to study this race so much I wont be caught out by hindsight. Hopefully!!!! We all seem to get caught up with certain horses and forget long term plans.
  • edited April 2013
    just looked at the ante post prices for next years national and they are ridiculous.

All the horses named will start at only half their ante post odds on the day ie Tea For three 20-1 now likely to be 10-1 on day. Oscar Time 40-1 probaly 20-1 on day.

Can you really see them changing much up to 1st January 2014, NO and the chance is anyone of them could be out of racing by then. Even then there wont be any value. 

The bookies must love keeping your money for months with little or no chance of you beating them. 

Now if ante post odds started 100-1 or better to stay fit for 12 mths, get the ground they liked, etc etc etc then I might be tempted. 

Sorry Neil but Battle Group 33-1 or any of the others is no value at any stage except when NRNB comes in. 
  • edited April 2013
    watch  BIG OCCASION,tho may be soft ground dependant,absolutely hacked up in midlands national.