You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

bankroll for cash games

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
not that im interested in moving to cash tables just more out of curiousity but I have a couple of questions:

1. how do you guys work out your bankroll for cash games
2. Do you deposit the maximum when you sit at the table
3. If your starting amount at the table goes down after a number of hands - do you continually top it up?

Comments

• edited April 2013
    People generally calculate their BR in terms of number of BIs for their level (a BI being the maximum you can sit down with, so usually 100xBB)

Imo, unless you have a VERY good reason not to, you should always sit down with the maximum (unless it's a super deep cash table and you feel more comfortable playing 100xBB deep)

I would always top up if I get anywhere near say 90xBB. You never know when the next hand that comes will be the one where you stack someone and if you're going to, you wanna win 100xBB not 75xBB or w/e
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: bankroll for cash games:
    People generally calculate their BR in terms of number of BIs for their level (a BI being the maximum you can sit down with, so usually 100xBB) Imo, unless you have a VERY good reason not to, you should always sit down with the maximum (unless it's a super deep cash table and you feel more comfortable playing 100xBB deep) I would always top up if I get anywhere near say 90xBB. You never know when the next hand that comes will be the one where you stack someone and if you're going to, you wanna win 100xBB not 75xBB or w/e
    Posted by Lambert180
    cheers lambert. whats the number of buy ins people normally go with?
  • edited April 2013
    Some people say 20 BIs is fine at the low levels (so £200 to play 10NL) and that is fine, as long as you're willing to either redeposit or step down to lower levels if things go badly.

It's all about what you feel comfortable with really. It's very easy if you're multi tabling to lose 5 BIs in 1 session, so it's about whether you can have £200 @ 10NL, lose £50 and mentally be strong enough to come back the next session, not feeling tilted and desperate to win it back.

Personally I feel happier with more, I like 30 BIs minimum, and 40-50 preferably which is probably better if you wanna take it seriously.

I know VERY good players who have lost 20BIs in the space of a week, so it can happen, variance can be a beast.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: bankroll for cash games:
    Some people say 20 BIs is fine at the low levels (so £200 to play 10NL) and that is fine, as long as you're willing to either redeposit or step down to lower levels if things go badly. It's all about what you feel comfortable with really. It's very easy if you're multi tabling to lose 5 BIs in 1 session, so it's about whether you can have £200 @ 10NL, lose £50 and mentally be strong enough to come back the next session, not feeling tilted and desperate to win it back. Personally I feel happier with more, I like 30 BIs minimum, and 40-50 preferably which is probably better if you wanna take it seriously. I know VERY good players who have lost 20BIs in the space of a week, so it can happen, variance can be a beast.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Many thanks was exactly the info i was looking for. Maybe one day i'll have a go at cash but i'm not sure i could handle the swings that well.