You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Who are better players mtt players or cash players?

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
Imo  i think mtt players are just as gd or better then cash players 

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Depends what stakes your talking about. Across the board I think there can be little arguement cash players are better than MTT, but if you go high stakes, I think MTT players have the edge. #controversial
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Who are better players mtt players or cash players?:
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    You might want to clafify this. Better at what?...

Overall?
    At cash?
    At MTTs?
    etc.

• edited April 2013
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    It's fairly widely agreed by most that cash players supercede MTT players simply because cash players play a huge number of hands compared to an MTT player
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Who are better players mtt players or cash players?:
    Depends what stakes your talking about. Across the board I think there can be little arguement cash players are better than MTT, but if you go high stakes, I think MTT players have the edge. #controversial
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Although, I think you will find, when you get high stakes the players play MTTs as much as cash... Look at the live players, I.E Julian and Simon Deadman seem to be winning all the UK tournies, but they play a lot of live cash at DTD (Especially Simon). 

The best players are the ones that can adapt their game and win at every format, that's the key.
  • edited April 2013
    I play cash and MTT's

imo cash players have a wider skill set to play deeper stack poker

the very good MTT players are probably better at playing a 15-35bb stack

skills are transferable but cash and MTT are very differant games

• edited April 2013
    Sub 35BB:  MTT sharks crush cash players.  The best MTT players just don't make any mistakes and exploit a ton of spots here.  When you are taking pre and one street hands, the best MTT players know this on reflex.

When 35BB-250BB effective:  Cash players have a vast edge from their experience of playing deeper, decisions are not so mechanical and there is plenty of room for creativity and exploitation.  Also the more decisions you make the more you define your hand, good cash players are in general much better of doing and using this information than MTT players are, based on pure number of hands played and that experience.

Plus 250BB effective:  No one knows.  MTTs are rarely at this level, especially after the first few levels.  And 70% of cash players sit out when this happens.  No idea why they do, I think they are most silly for doing so.

Of course this whole debate is a little too broad to be definitive help for some one.
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    You let the MTT side down, so cash ftw :)

• edited April 2013
    i noticed alot of good cash players cant cut it it in mtts 

tbh i think all this cash players are better because they are more deepstacked and plying down the street etc is twoddle i can play cash and mtts but i prefer mtts 

i find cash a grind and dnt enjoy it but pays the bills etc nowt can beat a good mtt run 
  • edited April 2013
    tom dwan for example crushes cash tables cant play a mtt to save hes life maybe because the mentaility of winning a big mtt is 1 cash hand to him lol
  • edited April 2013
    tom dwan for example crushes cash tables cant play a mtt to save hes life maybe because the mentaility of winning a big mtt is 1 cash hand to him lol
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Serious IDCU?  I'm going to have to completely disagree with that statement.
  • edited April 2013
    all my years of watching dwan i never seen him run deep in a mtt maybe he dnt play enough of em 

ok bit harsh on cant play a mtt to save hes life but hes nowhere near as good at mtts as cash 
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    Yes Donk, but it works both ways doesn't it. Try taking an MTT player who crushes MTTs and get him to sit 200xBB deep HU w/ Dwan. You can't put 1 person 'in their element' against someone outside their comfort zone and say 'well that means they're better'.

As others have said, it's obvious people who only play cash won't be used to playing sub 35xBB stacks very often so won't have the experience an MTT player does, but likewise most MTTs won't be spending a huge amount of their time 100-150xBB+ deep.

FWIW, I still think more skill is required for cash games than at the sharp end of an MTT. Granted it's not dead easy to do, but you can develop a way of playing with <20xBB which is pretty much unexploitable. Trying to play unexploitable poker 100xBB+ deep aint so easy.
  • edited April 2013
    all my years of watching dwan i never seen him run deep in a mtt maybe he dnt play enough of em  ok bit harsh on cant play a mtt to save hes life but hes nowhere near as good at mtts as cash 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    I'd quite like his Hendon Mob page.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Who are better players mtt players or cash players? : I'd quite like his Hendon Mob page.
    Posted by TommyD
    pretty sure he came 2nd at least once in a big field wsop event...wasnt it the time it saved people millions who had bet against him winning a bracelet?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Who are better players mtt players or cash players? : I'd quite like his Hendon Mob page.
    Posted by TommyD

Surely it's just like saying TommyD can't b good at both )

• edited April 2013
    Posted by TommyD
    + 1
  • edited April 2013
    Is it just me that finds this sort of argument completely ridiculous? Is there some reason that players need categorising into "MTT" or "Cash" players? Can good players not play both? I play both and I'm obviously completely awesome... Okay, bad example.

There are good players and there are not so good players. You learn to play MTT's and you learn to play Cash. If you want to learn both, you can. If you want to play millions of cash hands and then change to playing entirely MTT's you'll need to adapt and vice versa. Good players will adapt, not so good players will not.

It's just a game. There are no barriers to being good at both cash and MTT's. Good players are the guys putting in the time and energy to improve. Bad players are the guys asking why AK never wins.
  • edited April 2013
    Is it just me that finds this sort of argument completely ridiculous? Is there some reason that players need categorising into "MTT" or "Cash" players? Can good players not play both? I play both and I'm obviously completely awesome... Okay, bad example. There are good players and there are not so good players. You learn to play MTT's and you learn to play Cash. If you want to learn both, you can. If you want to play millions of cash hands and then change to playing entirely MTT's you'll need to adapt and vice versa. Good players will adapt, not so good players will not. It's just a game. There are no barriers to being good at both cash and MTT's. Good players are the guys putting in the time and energy to improve. Bad players are the guys asking why AK never wins.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Is this aimed at Tommy?
  • edited April 2013
    any 1 see monte carlo last week on channel 4 sick 5 bet jam from chris moorman with 56 i think 
  • edited April 2013
    any 1 see monte carlo last week on channel 4 sick 5 bet jam from chris moorman with 56 i think 
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    On the subject of good hands (and not the opening post- sorry) i liked this one Negreanu posted on his twitter ages ago. It's a long clip but good http://www.pokerstars.tv/poker-video-19749-ept9-deauville-day-1a-rousso-vs-reilly.html
  • edited April 2013
    When you ask someone thats good at both what they are they will say they are a cash player most of the time right?
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Who are better players mtt players or cash players? : On the subject of good hands (and not the opening post- sorry) i liked this one Negreanu posted on his twitter ages ago. It's a long clip but good http://www.pokerstars.tv/poker-video-19749-ept9-deauville-day-1a-rousso-vs-reilly.html
    Posted by jdsallstar
    Great hand
  • edited April 2013
    Is it just me that finds this sort of argument completely ridiculous? Is there some reason that players need categorising into "MTT" or "Cash" players? Can good players not play both? I play both and I'm obviously completely awesome... Okay, bad example. There are good players and there are not so good players. You learn to play MTT's and you learn to play Cash. If you want to learn both, you can. If you want to play millions of cash hands and then change to playing entirely MTT's you'll need to adapt and vice versa. Good players will adapt, not so good players will not. It's just a game. There are no barriers to being good at both cash and MTT's. Good players are the guys putting in the time and energy to improve. Bad players are the guys asking why AK never wins.
    Posted by BorinLoner
     +1 - Most tournament beasts are great cash game players aswell, no doubt.
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by IDONKCALLU

Haha that was madness, think it was 74o??

He crushes though so what do i know...
  • edited April 2013
    unreal i know he crushes just amazing hand to see cnt get the link :/ he raised utg  then the guy in the small blind 3 bet with kk i think then the guy in the bb 4 bet with 10 10  

then moorman 5 b bet jam with 7 4 suited unreal 
  • edited April 2013
    Cash  > MTT for skill by a million miles.

all because 100bb + doesn't have push fold charts like donkies involve. simples.
  • edited April 2013
    A lot of mtt play is just like clock work, i.e. you have a certain amount of big blinds, you can only do this etc. Your play is very limited a lot of the time. Cash requires a much more in depth analysis of each hand, even if it's standard. 

cash is so much more challenging