You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Was this call stupid or not?

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Played poker at the pub tonight, and this hand happened where i made a hero call on the river with king high and i took down the pot, but my opponent called it a stupid call, i kept arguing with him saying it was a good call because i knew king high would be good in that spot quite a lot of the times, especially given the action beforehand.

Obviously because it is live poker i can't do a hand history for it or anything so i will try my best to explain it as good as possible:

Blinds 300/600, i have a stack of about 8500, i'm in the big blind and get dealt king 7 off suit, utg limps in, so does the button, it folds round to me and i check.

Flop comes out 8d 10s Ah, everyone checks.
Turn is the 5d, everyone checks again.
River is the 3 of clubs, i check, utg bets 600 into a 2100 pot and the button folds. So it's on me again.

My thinking was that i only have king high, but the fact everyone checked on the flop and turn, and out of nowhere he bets the minimum on the river, i thought he wouldnt bet 600 if he hit the 3 on the river as he would just check for cheap showdown, same with a 8 or a 5. If he had an ace or a 10, he would have bet the flop, if not then definitely the turn.

Of course, he could have hit a set of 3s on the river, or maybe a set of 5s on the turn and slowplayed them, but other than these 2 hands and any other pocket pair he would have limped in pre flop with (2s,4s,6s, and maybe 7s are the pocket pairs that wouldn't have flopped a set), i was sure king high would be best in that spot most of the time. (Except from a king with a better kicker than mine obviously like king 8 lol)

I was getting about 4.5/1 to make the call (needed to call 600 into a pot of 2700) so i had to be right about 22% of the time to make the call profitable (is that right?) and i was just certain i would be right more than 22% of the time so i called, and he turned over QJ and i took down the pot.

Good play or not? Thoughts would be much appreciated thanks, it isn't the first time i've made a hero call with king high or ace high before lol.

P.S, if anyone has wondered where I have been, due to personal reasons that i'm not willing to discuss at the moment, i have stopped playing online poker, but i will still stick around the forum as it is a great place to get advice etc lol.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    You had a pair of sevens not king high?
  • edited April 2013
    Oh sorry, the flop was 8, 10, ace lol. Mistype :)

i definitely just had king high though :P
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013

Well you won so it was a good call but i wouldnt do it to many times... I get what your trying to say about having odds to call etc etc if you had A high or a pair but id of personally folded with K high but thats just me 

It all depend on your oppo too? I alway say go with what you feel, if you thought you were good, as long as you have a reasoning to your call you've not done much wrong

• edited April 2013
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    ClintonH83 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £3.90
     Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £1.86
     Your hole cards
    • Q

Fold     
     Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.63
     Raise  £0.20 £0.30 £8.68
     Fold     
    ClintonH83 Call  £0.18 £0.48 £3.72
     Call  £0.16 £0.64 £1.70
     Call  £0.16 £0.80 £2.47
    Flop

• J

ClintonH83 Check     
     Check     
     Check     
     Bet  £0.60 £1.40 £8.08
    ClintonH83 Call  £0.60 £2.00 £3.12
     Fold     
     Fold     
    Turn

ClintonH83 Check     
     Bet  £2.00 £4.00 £6.08
    ClintonH83 All-in  £3.12 £7.12 £0.00
     Call  £1.12 £8.24 £4.96
    ClintonH83 Show
    • Q

Show
    • J
    • J

River

• A

Win Three Jacks £7.62
    Look at this hand before from me, its not a hand like yours but looking at it people will go 'oh you played that hand horrible' blah blah blah and maybe i did but i had a thought process to it and reasoning and it was a player i thought was blagging a lot and i thought id let him bluff me his stack.... Turns out he was MASSIVE lol but my point is this bloke giving you s hit! as long as you have a reason why you called who cares what he says