You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

China

2»

Comments

• edited April 2013
    3. skypoker

actually didn't miss playing at all - having too much fun on hols with my wife. but did miss the forum. skypoker is blocked by the great firewall of china, so no access to any skypoker pages. so posted a bit on the TPT website, but did miss following what was happening in the skypoker community.
  • edited April 2013
    Fray Bentos Tikay!

must admit I didn't look, but as Uruguay is almost antipodal to China, it couldn't get further away from its town of birth if it tried!
  • edited April 2013
    any other questions/comments on China?
  • edited April 2013
    No questions but a very good read.
    Thanks for posting
    Mick
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: China:
    any other questions/comments on China?
    Posted by GELDY
    Yes. Can you leave the wife and take me next time?
  • edited April 2013
    2. a decent gin & slimline tonic very difficult to find a bar that does slimline drinks in China, even in the big cities. outside the big cities, very difficult to find anyone who knows how to make a G&T. they tend to put a measure of gin in a large glass, then fill it up with tonic. now i know i like my G&Ts strong, but you can't taste the gin in their version at all. we found a solution to this problem. drink long island iced teas instead, which i can now ask for in chinese, and be understood! remarkably LIITs are often on the drinks list and not much more expensive than G&Ts. However as they contain 4 times as much spirit than a G&T, but are served in the same size glass, there is less mixer, and hence you get a drink way stronger. In fact the one night we drank three of them (after our first scary car trip) we got kicked out of the taxi we were trying to take back to the hotel! we didn't argue - you don't argue with chinese taxi drivers - and the next one along was happy enough to take us. he saw us coming though and wanted to overcharge us - but i didn't mind paying the extra 50p he wanted. in supermarkets out of town gin is very difficult to find - instead there are 100 different types of white spirit, the best of which tastes like recycled paraffin. drinkable vodka is easier to get, if expensive, so we drink vodka & coke instead (and coke light can be found in the bigger supermarkets).
    Posted by GELDY
    lol
    hope you had a great time geldy

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: China : lol hope you had a great time geldy
    Posted by stokefc

indeed we did

actually the correct fare was 70p, but we got used to paying £1. they would often ask for more, but when we haggled in chinese they would usually back down. on that fateful night though speaking english without slurring was a challenge so £1.50 it was.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: China : nothing wrong with China specifically - it's everyones problem now, thanks to the West. Globalisation and all that. Apparently money is more important than people. 
    Posted by percival09
    +1

Bring back Area 51
  • edited April 2013
    anyone want to know about the dwarf kingdom
  • edited April 2013
    Dwarf Kingdom ftw!!
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    yes that's right, there is a theme park in China based on persons of low stature
    the world's first "live-in" theme park
    and they pop out of their little mushroom houses twice a day to perform on stage for the hoardes of tourists
    they dance, they sing and other such quaint activities
    all to the rapturous applause of the spectators, or should I say a midly embarrassed hand-clap from the half-dozen tourists who have managed the trek 45mins into the Western Hills from the City
    they do say they have found a better life there......
    but it doesn't seem to be much of a hit with the tourists

• edited April 2013
    I googled Dwarf Kingdom out of curiosity yesterday. I can only assume that if they were living in"normal" China life would be hard for them. But this does seem demeaning. BTW geldy according to Wiki the mushroom houses are just for show , they normally live in dormitories.