You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Sky Poker TV - Selling the Community Short?

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
Hi.
I have read all the discussions regarding Sky Poker TV and the Live Show Thread.

I have given it plenty of thought and have read all the arguments regarding what I feel imo is the exclusion of the Sky Poker Community from interacting with the Live Sky Poker TV Show from within the Sky Poker Forum.

I regard the Community & Forum as a very important aspect of my Sky Poker experience and was somewhat dismayed as to why we were excluded as a poker community from any involvement with the Live shows from within the community forum.

Ok - so I realise that Sky Poker want to sell to new clients with less emphasis on existing clients as we have already subscribed to what I believe is a great package. I know it is also very important to grow a client database in any form of business, however, I can't help thinking that, this approach is somewhat selling it's existing client database & the whole community a little short.

Player profiles at SPT's (Sky Poker Tours) etc, consistently say that one of the main things that they most enjoy about the Sky Poker experience is the Online Community & Forum. I too feel that this is one of the main reasons I continue to do my business with Sky Poker.

Over the years Sky Poker has made many changes, some good, some not so. They have also (imo) got many things right and many things wrong, but they have always been willing to listen to the online community. Some of it's many failings have also been rectified by it's willingness to listen to the constructive criticism of it's online community.

Prizes given out on the "Live Show Thread" in my view were of little importance to me - it was mainly the aspect of being able to watch the Live show and also being able to interact with the presenters and annalists, and at the same time, being able to play online poker.

In my mind one of the greatest selling points of the Sky Poker Package is the community. This is re-enforced time and time again from the recorded player profiles which are shown on the show & the recorded highlights which are shown throughout the week.

So.....rather than exclude us or force us to use an alternative social media network to communicate with the show...................Should'nt we be using this powerful asset (The Community Forum) as a selling tool within the show?

Remember the old saying......
"New Customers Only"? This can easily apply to the prizes offered on the show, without excluding the interaction of it's existing customers, whether that be through Twitter, Facebook or the online community.

"Sign up Today and post your answers on the forum show Thread" to be eligible to win a prize" etc etc

Or What about.............
"Existing Customers Only" or the "Do you want Fries with that" approach?.......

"Answer the question & Play the Main or Mini Event to be eligible to win a prize"

The potential to sell to new and existing customers is vast and should not be ignored or underestimated.

Capture your audience and sell what is imo one of the greatest parts of the Sky Poker Experience. Don't exclude any part of it, embrace it!!!, sell it!!! and show it off for all the world to see.........but please....please.....don't take your existing client database for granted.

Selling to your existing customers is just as important as selling to new customers and selling to new customers is made much easier by selling the reasons your existing customers continue to be so.

I have written this post with the best of intent and I support the Sky Poker Package whole hartedly and wish nothing but the very best for the site and it's continued growth. I just hope that in some small way, my comments can be seen as constructive criticism.

Regards
Pokertrev

Comments

• edited April 2013
    have to admit i agree. given the current situation - i know improvements are in the post. i doupt id play on sky if it wasnt for having the community. being able to post my diary helps keep me focused and i have many like minded friend who help when things are going wrong. this is really the attraction for me. which is actually a disadvantage for me since my pc and flash hate eachother. the prizes on the show i couldnt give a hoot about. sarah really seem to struggle to fill the time tonight talking about old forum posts. im all for more hands but this doesnt seem the intent. and lets face it sarah covered alot of the good posts recently how many more of those will crop up before sundays show. then again befoe tuesday and so on. people like borinloner send in random.questions they wouldnt normally ask on forums for new players or players like me who are developing to learn something new. sorry for a wall of text enter on andriod does work.
  • edited April 2013

Morning Trev, hope you are well.

That is a fine, balanced, Post, no problems with it, but I would just like to correct one thing.

You said.....

"somewhat dismayed as to why we were excluded as a poker community from any involvement with the Live shows from within the community forum"

That is not correct. As I have stated all along, if you have a question for the Show, start a Thread in the Community, & it will be considered for that evening's Show exactly as "Show Requests" were previously. 861 can never, & has never, promised that every request will be read out, but they do their best.

Just ensure that you make the Thread Title something that the Production Team can easily spot.

Tonight's TV Show - question for Orford" or whatever.

PS - thanks for your work with the Orfordable, we really appreciate it, & will continue to support it with Prizes. We support MANY Community Competitions, & invariably we find prizes for most of them. The Community IS, & will remain, a very important part of Sky Poker.  We just needed to address some imbalances with the Live Show, there is no dilution of our efforts to embrace the Community as a major part of the site.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV - Selling the Community Short?:
    Morning Trev, hope you are well. That is a fine, balanced, Post, no problems with it, but I would just like to correct one thing. You said..... "somewhat dismayed as to why we were excluded as a poker community from any involvement with the Live shows from within the community forum" That is not correct. As I have stated all along, if you have a question for the Show, start a Thread in the Community, & it will be considered for that evening's Show exactly as "Show requests" were previously. 861 can never, & has never, promised that every request will be read out, but they do their best. Just ensure that you make the Thread Title something that the Production Team can easily spit. Tonight's TV Show - question for Orford" or whatever. PS - thanks for your work with the Orfordable, we really appreciate it, & will continue to support it with Prizes. We support MANY Community Competitions, & invariably we find prizes for most of them. The Community IS, & will remain, a very important part of Sky Poker.  We just needed to address some imbalances with the Live Show, there is no dilution of our efforts to embrace the Community as a major part of the site.  
    Posted by Tikay10

Agreed. There seems to have been some misunderstanding about this.

We've never said we'd exclude the community (why would we?) we are just making it more balanced for all types of customer, the community remains a strong part of this.

Thanks
    Sky Poker
  • edited April 2013
    if you have a question for the Show, start a Thread in the Community, & it will be considered for that evening's Show exactly as "Show requests" were previously.
    Posted by Tikay10

sorry to go on, Tikay but ......

in which case why can't we just use the original show thread to do that, as previously? instead we run the risk of the show communication from the community becoming fragmented and harder for the community to follow. also some peeps who would be happy to add onto a thread may not feel like starting a new one just for their own comment. the solution to this would be for the community to set up it's own show communication thread each time, copying in the schedule from the original post. but isn't this back to where we were, other than a bit more hassle.

i guess what has been neglected is that we, or at least I, found the thread a good way to follow the show chat even if distracted from the live show due to playing - which would happen a lot. also if i saw a question i was really interested in, i would be more attentive to the show in the hope it would be covered. also it provided a bit of a timeline, in that if one had missed some of the show, seeing which comment was the latest one covered enabled one to see which had already past, and hence possible been missed - i know it wasn't always done in sequence but at least it provided a hint as to where we were.

leaving the show thread open, even if de-prioritisating it, would seem, to me at least, the easiest, least diisruptive way to meet everyones needs.
  • edited April 2013
    My two cents...

No-one is being discriminated against. No-one is being excluded from the interactive experience. EVERYONE is welcome to e-mail or tweet: existing players, new players (who might not be au fait with the forum), potential new players.

Also, from a logistical point of view, keeping track of e-mails and tweets is very simple for the presenters. The forum thread...not so much.

I'm not saying for one second that it's about making our lives easier. OK, that's exactly what I'm saying: it's about making our lives easier! :-)

• edited April 2013
    Good Morning Tikay & Sky_ Poker.
    I understand what you are saying guys (I really do) however, for me and I suspect the majority of folk who used to get involved in the show via the live show thread, do feel like we have been excluded in some small way.

I'm all for embracing new technology and alternative social media networks but the live show thread was a great way of sending in questions/comment etc. - A bit like having a cup of hot chocolate in front of the fire really - We all prefer to go to a supermarket rather than the local shop,,,,Why?......because everything is under one roof and occasionally we can pick up a bargain.

For me the live show thread does exactly that, it keeps everything under one roof and with the best will in the world, i'm afraid I am never going to be able to go trawling the forum looking for posts/comments which are intended for the show whilst multi-tabling and watching the channel at the same time. I am a man of many tallents but that just isn't one of them - It would also be nigh on impossible for us to keep up with them and I suspect that the majority of posts would be lost on the forum and go undetected by us and the show, which I think is a real shame tbh.

"Exclusion" is probably too strong a word for it really, but there is definitely a feeling of "being left out". I'm pretty sure this was never the intention and i'm also pretty sure that Sky Poker and the marketing and advertising gurus also had some strong arguments when this was originally put on the table, but sometimes (and nearly always after being implemented) the master plan needs to be tweaked a little, but only time will tell.

Anyway my real point is...........let's keep it all under one roof and sell those special offers to New & Existing Customers........People will buy a car simply because it is clean & tidy (even though the engine is making a few strange noises :)

Right that's all from me - I have a Friday Orfordable to organise - There is also an open invitation to Rich Orford if he ever feels like making a comeback in this tournament? Last longer bet anyone? 
  • edited April 2013
    How many lines of communication into the studio do you think they can handle and present a show at the sametime.

tweets, emails and also a forum post.

cmon it's too much.

Is it really that difficult for forum posters to send an email !

Think Geldy does make a good point about we keep track of the questions and looking forward to them coming up.
    So maybe just leaving the thread open and presenters can dive in and out of it at will and read some stuff out.
    Not like they read out everything but it may be the best move forward without denying specific forum posters their prefered route of communication. I am sure forum posters feel a posted question is not as a solitary experience as sending an email.
    It just feels more interactive with the studio and other forum posters to use the forum as a communication route into the studio.

Yeah come on leave the thread open, makes sense.

• edited April 2013
    I'm what TK would decribe as "old school", don't twit, and them extra few clicks
    coming off the site opening my e-mail account, send message then come back.
    Just may sometimes make me say, leave it i can't be bothered.
    Like i e-mailed on tues but didn't bother last night, but thats just me.
  • edited April 2013
    I agree with Rancid, for me an email feels too solitary, and if your contribution doesn't make it to the show it can feel like no-one's read it. At the other end of the spectrum Twitter for me is too public (although I appreciate a vast proportion of the population don't worry about such things). The forum thread provided a good middle ground. In fact the forum thread was where I made my first ever post, and was the reason I then had a look to see what else was around in the various forums. I found the DYM challenge thread, had a go at that etc etc etc. if the intention is to grow the community as well as grow the customer base, this should be considered.

The Live Show thread only really used to stretch to 3-4 pages, and that was with presenters asking for specific answers to questions, or questions on a given topic. If it were open without dangling mini seats for contributions I can't see it would be a big job for producers or presenters to keep an eye to see if anything interesting pops up.
  • edited April 2013
    The show thread kept everything together.
    If you missed the show , rather than waiting for each section to be repeated, the framework and topics were all in one place and often great advice.
    I don't see why Sky can't leave the thread open, they dont have to use the information posted.
    Part of the fun was Rich Orford or Anna reading forum posts out live and either deliberately or accidentally making mistakes that had everyone in stitches.

If its easier for the presenters to do their job thats fair enough, but I do feel it is insensitve forcing loyal customers into the world of social media, without consulting them first.
  • edited April 2013
    the fact there appears to be a thread for sundays show but nobody can comment on it makes little sense to anybody

its like saying here is your old thread but you cant use it

as i said in the previous thread i see why sky are taking this line but the way it has been implemented leaves a lot to be desired
  • edited April 2013
    just like to say if we cannot interact with the live show through the forum which  got me into watching 861 in the 1st place then we have been Excluded........I don't tweet and why be in the forum if you have to email the show?.

I know things change but not always for the better...........

love sky poker/861/forum etc etc etc 

ps...im happy to receive a goody bag of sky poker stuff :)))))))))))) 

keep up the good work and the great comps/freerolls/spt's

• edited April 2013
    Just some brief comments:

1)  I don't think any one is being excluded.

2)  While some shows (such as the Channing shows etc) had show threads run and run, over the last year/18 months there have regularly been show threads with just 20 odd posts on them.  More and more people were emailing in.

3)  A lot of people are saying 'They don't want to join Twitter.'  That's totally fair, but pretty much everyone who uses the internet uses email, that way is more than open.  Talking of open, I still think the TV show needs to change their email address.  New people aren't going to have a clue what the word open is all about in that addy.

4)  I see no problem with a forum/community members discussion thread to run alongside the show, started by a member for the members.  Obviously nothing on it is going to get read out on the show but it would be a fun get together for the forum members, I used to do similar things related to other shows, tried to get one going for the original UK Cash game with mixed success and Twitter pretty much does this now for the big National and International events.  I see Dunmidosh has already started one for Sunday, I think that's a good idea and see no reason to close or delete it.

5)  I totally understand why the production team would want to concentrate the feedback flow for ease of use and if they had to drop one of the three, they probably dropped the right one.  Can you still text into the show BTW?  ;)
  • edited April 2013
    Having a show thread that no one can comment on sounds daft to me. Tikay says we still want your posts but start your own thread  and make the title prominent. So someone at Sky poker would rather trawl through 2 or 3 forum pages (which will happen as posts get pushed back) rather than look at one thread? Call me cynical but I think they won't even bother.
  • edited April 2013
    Having a show thread that no one can comment on sounds daft to me. Tikay says we still want your posts but start your own thread  and make the title prominent. So someone at Sky poker would rather trawl through 2 or 3 forum pages (which will happen as posts get pushed back) rather than look at one thread? Call me cynical but I think they won't even bother.
    Posted by FlyingDagg

So true Dagg, they won't even bother looking for it.
    Just open up the thread and let the people post

FREE THE THREAD !!
  • edited April 2013
    Just a suggestion:
    Why not have a "Community" slot for a couple of hours in one of the shows during the week.
    Could include phone-ins,etc.

May encourage new players to the site when they see and hear what a great bunch we are ! :-)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Sky Poker TV - Selling the Community Short? : So true Dagg, they won't even bother looking for it. Just open up the thread and let the people post FREE THE THREAD !!
    Posted by rancid
    Sarah did look through old threads yesterday, must have been around page 5 or 6 she got to as i dont remember seeing the posts for at least a good few days. 
  • edited April 2013
    Please just leave the official show threads open so people can chat on it, and if the studio want to read it they can, or they can ignore it. Don't think I've ever moaned about anything on Sky Poker but closing the threads just seems really arr cee to me ;-)

• edited April 2013
    Please just leave the official show threads open so people can chat on it , and if the stud io want to read it they can, or they can ignore it. Don't think I've ever moan ed about anything on Sky Po ker but c losing the threads just seems really arr cee to me ;-)
    Posted by NoseyBonk

MASSIVE +1

• edited April 2013
    Please just leave the official show threads open so people can chat on it , and if the stud io want to read it they can, or they can ignore it. Don't think I've ever moan ed about anything on Sky Po ker but c losing the threads just seems really arr cee to me ;-)
    Posted by NoseyBonk
    and a +1 from me

• edited April 2013

has nobody threatened to leave yet?

odd.

• edited April 2013
    FREE THE THREAD!