You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tilt.....Tilt......Tilt......Tilting!!!

edited December 2009 in Area 51
Couldn't win a game if I knew how to cheat!!

I would be interested to hear some of your Tilt stories and theories.

At the moment as stated above I just can't seem to win a hand, even with a decent pre flop hand I am, at present just constantly getting beat, and I mean constantly by lesser hands. The more I raise with decent hands, both pre flop and on the flop/turn, the more I am losing and the more I am getting outdrawn, this includes 3OAK, flushes and full houses!!. This has now lasted 4 days, and I only play £5 DYM games - I am down around, well infact £190 (to be precise!) in this period of time!!

I know it's not loads, but it's extremely high for £5 DYM games and the occasional Cash Game.

I have read a few interesting articles regarding different theories about online poker sites recently and most of them seem to ring true. The main topic is that the "House" lets you win some, lose some, puts you on tilt, then lets you win a little bit back, and likes to average out the winnings between the lesser players to keep them interested,  but is always up on you....Which I understand, but to put you on a tilt that is so bad is a bit mean!!

I like to think my style of play can hold it's own, not the best, neither the worst - but when your playing against, what seems at the moment, 5 other players and the house it is near on impossible to finish in the top 3, let alone 4th or 5th!

I really have lost to some crazy hands and calls over the last 4 days, especially this morning, played four lost four, three to bad beats and one to decent play. I'm the first to congratulate someone who plays well, and like all of you hate losing to bad beats, but understands it happens.  I'm not an all in kinda guy, I like to play tight and work out possistions, pot odds number of outs etc... the whole shaboom is considered, but constantly losing like this makes me wonder if my game needs changing or is their some other way around this? Or is it to be expected on here??

As the old saying goes

"COULDN'T HIT A COWS AR SE WITH A SHOVEL" at the moment :)

Comments

• edited December 2009
    I heard a rule that once you've doubled your bankroll, you should withdraw half of your winnings.  I had just about doubled my bankroll through playing cash and DYMs, I was about 20p off, so decided to play a 30p DYM.  I played very tight, didn't really play a hand until there were 4 left.  Got raised on the BB by the SB, woke up with AK, shoved, got called by K7, he hit a royal flush.  After that I lost almost my entire bankroll in a couple of days.  I had so many bad beats it was unbelievable.  I can now be found playing the 30p tables just trying to break even.
  • edited December 2009
    Lets not forget that there are players on this site with 10s of £1000s of pounds in there bankroll.Does anyone think they would play here if all was not legit?
  • edited December 2009
    oops nearly forgot

hope this helps
  • edited December 2009
    i DON'T THINK ALL THE HOPE THIS HELPS IN THE WORLD WOULD HELP ME AT THE MOMENT

HOPE THIS HELPS?!!
  • edited December 2009

ON A SERIOUS NOTE SUNNYPALMS MATE IF IT IS REALLY GETTIN TO YOU GIVE IT A BREAK FOR A FEW DAYS AND SEE HOW YOU PERFORM AT THE TABLES AFTER THAT.

AND SERIOUSLY BUDDY I HOPE THIS HELPS,dav

• edited December 2009
    Cheers dav.....

It's truly shockable whats happening at the moment - like nothing ever before in all my time playing the game.

Choked!!
  • edited December 2009

Hey Sunny, I've just had my worst week on £5 dym's this week too (and I play plenty).

Like you, I've played good textbook poker (I've always found this to be the best style on dym's) and lost to some horrendous outdraws and beats.

But believe me when I say it is all part of poker variance which can sometimes seem shocking but is a big part of the game.

Google Bill Rini and check out his blog (click on the link which says "is online poker rigged?" on his homepage). There are many articles there which I found to be both quite funny and very informative.

And of course, I sincerely hope this helps.
  • edited December 2009
    Cheers Jingle - I have enjoyed some of our battles on the table and truly respect your play. and to be honest have learnt quite a few bits and bobs from you in the process.

I'm really struggling to get my head around it and it has definately knocked my confidence, but I think that is due to all the terrible bad beats I'm on the end of. I don't know weather to trust myself or get gazzumped by this software that Sky use - in a right 2n8!! talking about 2 and 8's thats possibly the best hand I have had all day :)

I have seen Bill Rini when I have googled various things, but never taken the time to actually read his page to which I will do so at some point soon.

My bankroll has taken a right kick in the gon.ads this week. think i might have to do an Arthur Fowler with the Christmas Club Money!!!

Good luck at the tables pal.

Danny
  • edited December 2009
    Oh and to bump up my postability.........................

Yes it did help mate :)
  • edited December 2009

Lol, glad it did! 8- /> And don't lose heart, take a break for a bit if you're feeling low, then come back refreshed and always have belief in your game whenever you play, you will be rewarded in the long run. Sorry if I don't chat at the tables, cos I'm multi-tabling and I'm not good enough to do that and chat at the same time! Thanks and best of luck2u2.
  • edited December 2009
    No worries about not having a chat Jingle. I got to admit I'm not the biggest of talkers throughout the games.

Struggled through yesterday, and called it a night when a few more losses occurred!  I think a break is in order, come back with a fresh mind, restored confidence etc....

Good luck with the multi-tabling!!

• edited December 2009
    I know where your coming from mate, I'm trying to move up the levels in DYM, but finding it quite hard with the regular donky calls you get, but after a while you realise those bad calls are what you want to build your stack so you can't really complain with the odd bad beat.

I also find keeping a record of your games helps a lot, and I also make a note of defeat method so I know if I really am getting loads of bad beats.