You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Deep stack. Guess the hands.

edited December 2009 in Hold'em Poker Strategy
  Ok guys quick little one for you. I will take you through a hand that was played recently and you have to guess the hands that were being played.

The situation is this, very first hand of the deep stack blinds at 10/20 everyone has 5000 chips.

There are 2 limpers in middle position everyone else folds to the big blind who raises it up to 100, 1 limper calls the other folds. Pot size 230
  Flop comes down    Jc  8d  7d

Big blind bets pot and other player calls   pot now 690

Turn comes   4d

Big blind bets pot again and the other player calls  pot now 2070

River comes 5d

Big blind goes all in and the other player calls

Now guess what hands were being played

Comments

• edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
  • edited December 2009
      Some very good guesses so far but as yet noone is even close
  • edited December 2009
    AK no diamonds vs pocket 2s with 2 of diamonds
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Deep stack. Guess the hands.:
    AK no diamonds vs pocket 2s with 2 of diamonds
    Posted by phil12uk
    Thats what I Was thinking.

The hand wouldn't be posted on here if it was a cooler like AdAh v 6d6h or something.

AK no diamond v JT no diamond calling.
  • edited December 2009
      I actually put it up because i was watching from the sidelines as i had already folded and spent the whole time trying to put both players on hands and got it as far wrong as possible. Will leave this for a little bit longer to see if anymore answers turn up before giving the hands away
  • edited December 2009
      I actually put it up because i was watching from the sidelines as i had already folded and spent the whole time trying to put both players on hands and got it as far wrong as possible. Will leave this for a little bit longer to see if anymore answers turn up before giving the hands away
    Posted by Talon
    Last guess.

27 o/s from the raiser with 2d v AA no diamond.
  • edited December 2009
       Ac-Ah V Ad-8s
  • edited December 2009
      Ok due to lack of further interest i will now give you the answers.

The big blind was holding  67o   no diamonds
     The other player was holding  910o   no diamonds

Now if someone could explain to me the mentality of the betting all down the streets on the very first hand of a deep stack then i will be glad, because to me it made no sense given what they were holding.

• edited December 2009
    Once diamonds show up your straight does shrink rather.
  • edited December 2009
    honest answer, how many times have you tried searching for these nut cases since??
  • edited December 2009
    honest answer, how many times have you tried searching for these nut cases since??
    Posted by royal_hugo
     Honestly none. There is only one player on this site that i actively seek out. I am a bad cash player but i have an amazing read on this one guy and i search him out on the tables and it has proved very fruitful
  • edited December 2009
    reply coming had to re write it...lol
    DOHH
  • edited December 2009

Well the big blind appears to be one of these 'donks' you were referring to in the other discussion. And the fella has limped in, got to see a flop for cheap, flopped the nuts, and milked it for every penny.

This is an example of the type of player people seem to hate playing against (the BB), and also the way to play against it! Its so easy. Admittedly if the BB had rivered the flush. thats just unlucky, but in the first hand, with little or no time invested, it wouldn't be a disaster.

If the flop comes A K Q, the limper throws his hand away having lost 100 chips, 2% of the starting stack. Have no problems with his play.

With the deepstack structure, theres ample time and opportunity to get in and see cheap flops against this type of super aggro player. After investing 100 pre, the limp-caller ended the hand with 10,000 chips, I cnt even begin to figure out how many BB's that is.
  • edited December 2009
      I have seen you play before Dohhhhhhh  and you would make the move out of the big blind. But even you would shut down on the turn and you would definitely not do the all in river bet. Aggression is important but it does need to be linked with basic intelligence
  • edited December 2009

You wouldnt see me raising 5 x BB in the BB, out of position, in the first hand of a tournament. Lol But I know what you mean. Maybe if the blinds are 100/200 I make the move and the bloke snap folds. Amazingly I notice the loose, weak passive players (limpers) actually tighten up as the blinds get bigger. Maybe coz theyre so surprised to still be there and wanna make the most of it. Lol.

But in the other thread, I think started by Borobabe....People are saying over n over again how they hate playing against this sort of player (the BB). But surely this hand illustrates how simple it is. Top pair is often good enough to stack em.

They wud do well to read this and look at the play of the OOP limp-caller. He/She has got it sussed.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    I'm gonna put my neck on the line here and say this was one of the £2.20 ds games and not the £22 £300GTD game. You wouldn't see anything like that happen there (unless Orford was playing)
  • edited December 2009
    Yes you are right flash is was a 2.20 game. The evening ones are attracting nice size fields now but too much of this sort of play is creeping in