You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

phil helmuth

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
whats everyones thoughts on the poker brat?? i dont think hes anywhere near the best player in the world as he proclaims to be, and some of his play is awful. but the bracelets dont lie i suppose he must be doing something right.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    In Response to phil helmuth:
    whats everyones thoughts on the poker brat?? i dont think hes anywhere near the best player in the world as he proclaims to be, and some of his play is awful. but the bracelets dont lie i suppose he must be doing something right.
    Posted by THEROCK573
    for me a quality player, far from the best but still very good
    lot of it is for the camera,,
    but 11/12 braclets, yeah they dont lie
  • edited April 2013
    Would you play golf with tiger woods? 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: phil helmuth:
    Would you play golf with tiger woods? 
    Posted by The_Don90
    i know that comment but think wheres it from?
  • edited April 2013
    He`s one of my favourite players in poker and yeah I agree don`t think he is the best in the world just look at him playing cash with some big stars proves that he ain`t in their league but his mtt record is very impressive and one of his strategy`s is what we have all heard before is he tries playing lot of pots with amateurs and thats how he accumulates chips. But he is defo doing something right he is still winning bracelets now as he was when he 1st started.

his attitude also looks and sometimes is really bad but I think it`s cause he is so passionate about the game and he wants to win so much plus he gets so much stick you gotta crack at some point imo.

• edited April 2013
    Very entertaining player!! Think he's so funny, when he says to his wife at wsop "the guy called a raise with a q10 off suit" haha!! His critics say he's won the most bracelets because he's played the most events, he very rarely misses a wsop event.
  • edited April 2013
    dnt think i need to say what i think about hellmuth there are so many players better then him especially in a cash game loads of high stakes cash players are better then hellmuth i mean he still limps utg ffs lol 
  • edited April 2013
    Enjoy watching him when he goes in his rants.  People will say you cant argue with his results 13 wsop bracelets but the truth is the majority of those bracelets had like 80 runner fields back in the day.  Hellmuth makes a lot of fundamental mistakes eg doesnt know how to play a short stack and he has ran incredibly good throughout his career.  Hellmuth would get owned by the likes of dwan ivey and most competant online regs.
  • edited April 2013
    In case you haven't seen it, Sky Poker got an interview with Phil Hellmuth at the SPT London recently. You can watch it here:

• edited April 2013
    Enjoy watching him when he goes in his rants.  People will say you cant argue with his results 13 wsop bracelets but the truth is the majority of those bracelets had like 80 runner fields back in the day.  Hellmuth makes a lot of fundamental mistakes eg doesnt know how to play a short stack and he has ran incredibly good throughout his career.  Hellmuth would get owned by the likes of dwan ivey and the most competant online regs.
    Posted by bearlyther

First half of this is pretty accurate. That said, he has definitely kicked on in tournament results (and in big fields) in the past 2-3 years. Something has changed and Hellmuth's game is now better suited to these types of tourneys than they were a while back.

I am not too sure what you mean about him getting owned by the likes of Dwan and Ivey though. If it was a cash game, sure. 

No Limit Hold'em tournaments though? Dwan hasn't come close to his first WSOP event. Sure he's making too much from online poker for live tournament poker to be appealing, but with the amounts available for bracelet bets, I am sure he could find the motivation should the right wager be made. IIRC, he did something like this in 2011, played pretty much every event and managed a best place finish of 5th. Hellmuth's 2011 WSOP results: 2nd, 2nd, 2nd and a 7th (admittedly in fields no bigger than ~350)

If you were to put Dwan and Hellmuth in a 5,000 runner NLHE tournament, I think I'd take Hellmuth in the last longer every time.
  • edited April 2013
    Amazes me sometimes how people are so quick to jump on the "Hate Hellmouth" truck.

His game got lost for around 1-2 years and looked like wally on TV in cash games and sometimes in MTT's.

Fact remains he still holds his own in poker, his results speak volumes.
    Even though his ego still thinks he is the best, which is his number one problem.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: phil helmuth : i know that comment but think wheres it from?
    Posted by 1281
    are you asking me to find out or testing ?
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    marmite
    Posted by yoyo

This is why you're good, Thewy - I spout around 150 words on the subject, you use one and nail it.

What he said.
  • edited April 2013
    the John McEnroe of poker - love him or hate him, you must admit he is pretty good

yeah - marmite
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: phil helmuth : This is why you're good, Thewy - I spout around 150 words on the subject, you use one and nail it. What he said.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    praise indeed dave!

i remember at first being really really impressed when he won late night poker waayyy back in the day...he had an amazing table presence & pretty much tore up the field.

the following year he was back & i think got HU in the heats v a middle aged french guy, robert cohen maybe...it was pure hilarity; cohen had him pulling his hair out & eventually when hellmuth re-shoves all-in with spanners, cohen snap calls & hellmuth then tries to make out that he didn't mean to say all-in & only meant to call...the guys trying to shake his hand, the credits are rolling & he's still whining like a spoilt kid to thomas kremser.

i was agog #greatTV