You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2p-4p A Guide

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat
Position not important?

Comments

• edited April 2013

Since i started up the 2p 4p thread, i thought it might be a good idea to put together a quick guide to 2p-4p play. Dohhhhhhh has a thread up on this somewhere, which looks at it quite indepth. This is just a quick summary of my thoughts and opinions on playing well at this level. It's really aimed at anyone that plays this level, or is just knew to the game and looking for a couple of pointers to get started. Would be cool if others regulars could post up their ideas too.

1)  Play a tight range
    At this level it is probably best to stick to quite a tight range.

2) Dont play junk hands
    Playing any2 cards, or junk hands, at this level will get us into trouble and result in losing cash over the longer term. Sure we can hit our full house with J 5, but in the fullness of time this hand will lose the vast majority of the time.

3) Play your big hands strongly
    If you are sitting with a monster, AA, KK QQ, we want to build a pot preflop, we also want to get value from these hands. Sometimes i've seen a lot of players slow playing these hands/ messing about with minimum bets. We want to do our best to make the most from these types of hands.

4) Don't tilt
    It's amazing the amount of times in Poker people will talk about the times they were unlucky or moan about a badbeat. It is an essential part of poker. At the end of the day it's a game where there is a massive skill element but there always remains that element of luck. When this happens just get on with it, there is nothing we can do to help this, and at the same time there will be the times we put a bad beat on someone else.

5) Bluffing
    I read somewhere on here some1 said you cant bluff at this level. They are wrong, i do it all the time! It just depends on position and circumstances. Take notes on players, do they fold to a continuation bet? Are they calling stations? If someone is calling a lot of the time you don't want to be bluffing them and if someone folds a lot they are a lot easier to bluff.

6) Stay Focussed
    If you feel you are getting bored/ tired/ tilting just get up and come back again later. Normally in this frame of mind you are just going to be spewy, giving your money away.

7) On the Button -Position
    On the button you can play a lot wider of a range. If it's limped round to you or has mostly been folded round, it's not bad to stick in a raise to thin the field and gain control of the hand. We have the benefit of being last to act post flop to see whateveryone else is doing. Often a good way to steal chips.

8) Have fun
    At the end of the day it's not masses of money at this level, don't take it to seriously. To me this is the most important thing, if you are not enjoying it take a break and come back another time.

I'll maybe post up some examples at a later date, and add some more to this. 

• edited April 2013

lol it's 6 points so far, there is a lot more that needs to be added such as position

• edited April 2013
    It really is a common misconception that you need to play tight at 4nl..

If you suck postflop then sure play a tight range but I guarantee you if you eventually move up you won't be good enough post flop to beat the game. 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: 2p-4p A Guide:
    It really is a common misconception that you need to play tight at 4nl.. If you suck postflop then sure play a tight range but I guarantee you if you eventually move up you won't be good enough post flop to beat the game. 
    Posted by NColley

THIS. At last someone who agrees with me.
  • edited April 2013
    Yes,

But Larson did say its his own opinion, and its very kind of him to be writing this thread.

I think for the newb that this advice would be best way tgo approach 4nl.

That said, Larson, I would prefer you not to educate the fish.
  • edited April 2013
    It really is a common misconception that you need to play tight at 4nl.. If you suck postflop then sure play a tight range but I guarantee you if you eventually move up you won't be good enough post flop to beat the game. 
    Posted by NColley
    I agree at point with this but given the standard ive seen you only need some post flop skill at nl10 and its not really until nl20 were its essential. So i dont think you need to develop it a nl4. As long as you develop it when you move up. 
  • edited April 2013

Interesting thread guys.
  • edited April 2013
    If your playing nl4 and you see someone open to 20p, call with ATC looking to stack their one pr hands )

• edited April 2013
    I reckon you could easily add a bullet called 'Keep It Simple'. 

Generally speaking, playing at 2/4p isn't the ideal place to try those three barrel bluffs or floats to try take it off someone on the turn. Preflop I think you can be a bit looser than you've suggested, but post flop you really want to keep it simple.
  • edited April 2013

another thing important with nl4 which has been a mistake with me is build the pots yourself when you are chasing flush and straight draws and don't ever bother to check raise if you have hit what you were wanting because cbets are very rare.

• edited April 2013
    I reckon you could easily add a bullet called 'Keep It Simple'.  Generally speaking, playing at 2/4p isn't the ideal place to try those three barrel bluffs or floats to try take it off someone on the turn. Preflop I think you can be a bit looser than you've suggested, but post flop you really want to keep it simple.
    Posted by Sky_Dave
    lol you don't really see many 3 barrell bluffs unless im at the table.

Some1 can be looser, but i think the optimal way to play at this table is tight/ playing quite a focussed range. If you look at the profitable players, and regulars, this is generally how they play.