You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Coming Soon - 'King of the Hill'

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat

Hi all

Something new and exciting which planned to trial from 1st May...

'KING OF THE HILL'

It works like this:

- There is a £5 MTT each day
- The buy in is £5.50 + £2, so why the +£2?

- Well lets say there are 250 runners in this MTT
- The regular prizepool would be £5 x 250 = £1,250, but here's the twist...

- There is also a £500 'side prizepool' (the extra £2 x 250)
- This is played for, heads-up... ...between the winner of the event and the winner from the day before, to become King!

- Then assuming there are 250 runners the next day...  ...the winner of the heads-up, plays off against the winner the next day for another £500

- This pattern is repeated each day

So think about it, let's say you went on a streak of winning the title five times (and assuming it did get 250 runners each day), you would win your original prize money plus £2,500, so it's a tournament you would really want to win!

In order to get the ball rolling on this, we would decide the first 'King of the Hill' by having a heads-up match between first and second in the initial event.

There will be more details on this in the next couple of weeks, but we wanted to give the community a sneak preview of how this would work.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited April 2013
    What Hill? :)

Is it anywhere near Sky Towers?

Does it have a Castle & a Moat?

Google Maps ftw?

Free Parking?

tell me more about this hill I would become king of......... 

Sounds like this tournament would suit Orford, but lets be honest, some would say he would be more suited to a mound than a hill :)
  • edited April 2013
    sigh thought this was about the neccessary heads up changes.
  • edited April 2013
    Hmm I think £2 is a bit steep for just 1 winner. Going on the 250 runner pattern, that basically means more than 99% of the field are paying 33% rake (OK it's not exacty rake, as it is winnable but you get what I mean)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Coming Soon - 'King of the Hill':
    Hmm I think £2 is a bit steep for just 1 winner. Going on the 250 runner pattern, that basically means more than 99% of the field are paying 33% rake (OK it's not exacty rake, as it is winnable but you get what I mean)
    Posted by FlashFlush
    We see what you mean but all of the £2 goes into the side prizepool.

We didnt want to make this too much but wanted to make it big enough to create a big pot to play for. We discussed a few options and £2 felt about right. We may tweak this depending on how it goes though.
  • edited April 2013
    don't get it myself
    so everyone pays 7.50 for a 5 mtt, instead of 5.50 just so the winner might win some more.
    probably the least interesting idea I've seen from sky recently.
    I'm happy to take down the normal win for coming first
    don't need additional inducements.

sorry, cannot match Trev's humour.
  • edited April 2013
    don't get it myself so everyone pays 7.50 for a 5 mtt, instead of 5.50 just so the winner might win some more. probably the least interesting idea I've seen from sky recently. I'm happy to take down the normal win for coming first don't need additional inducements. sorry, cannot match Trev's humour.
    Posted by GELDY
    That's fine, sounds like it's not for you but others.
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah I know what you mean, I think £1 would of been OK or £2 in an £11 tourney. In a 250 runner £5 tourney I'm guessing the top prize is about £350..?? If it was £1 towards the side pot, it would still be £250 with a 50/50 chance of winning... With it set up like this, the heads-up game is actually worth more than winning the 250 runner MTT.

I don't think you will get anywhere near 250 runners though... The more the runners the less the value unless you are that 1 lucky winner (Even then you still need to win the HU game). If you got around 40 - 50 runners then £2 would be OK as you have a much better chance of winning and it doesn't just seem like more rake.

I may be wrong, (usually am) but at least you're trying to bring new things in. Some work, some don't...
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah I know what you mean, I think £1 would of been OK or £2 in an £11 tourney. In a 250 runner £5 tourney I'm guessing the top prize is about £350..?? If it was £1 towards the side pot, it would still be £250 with a 50/50 chance of winning... With it set up like this, the heads-up game is actually worth more than winning the 250 runner MTT. I don't think you will get anywhere near 250 runners though... The more the runners the less the value unless you are that 1 lucky winner (Even then you still need to win the HU game). If you got around 40 - 50 runners then £2 would be OK as you have a much better chance of winning and it doesn't just seem like more rake . I may be wrong, (usually am) but at least you're trying to bring new things in. Some work, some don't...
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Sure, as you've highlighted it's quite difficult to guess the numbers (we've never done it before) but nothing is set in stone so we can tweak the buy-in and side prizepool based on how it does in the trial.

Thanks
  • edited April 2013
    Sounds good to me. You could end up with someone winning the heads up for quite a while.
    Would the heads up match be straight after the MTT?
    If it is everyday then I am sure you will get quite a few times where the previous winner can not play on that day.
    Personally I have always liked top heavy prizepools so I will definately give it a go.
  • edited April 2013
    sigh thought this was about the neccessary heads up changes.
    Posted by beaneh

+1 :-(
  • edited April 2013
    Who plays in the first heads up tourney? seeing as there would be no preceeding tourney winner?
  • edited April 2013
    Who plays in the first heads up tourney? seeing as there would be no preceeding tourney winner?
    Posted by calcalfold

SKY: In order to get the ball rolling on this, we would decide the first 'King of the Hill' by having a heads-up match between first and second in the initial event.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Coming Soon - 'King of the Hill' : SKY: In order to get the ball rolling on this, we would decide the first 'King of the Hill' by having a heads-up match between first and second in the initial event.
    Posted by jonjo75
    Thanks Jonjo, saved us a job! ;)
  • edited April 2013
    Its always good to see Sky trying new things, my only concern is....

MTT are very top heavy...and you are now making it even more top heavy.
  • edited April 2013
    CTBN vs GREGHOGG

MACMONSTER vs DYLAN12

Now that would be top heavy!

:)
  • edited April 2013
    CTBN vs GREGHOGG MACMONSTER vs DYLAN12 Now that would be top heavy! :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Raises hat!
  • edited April 2013
    Should be £1 IMO. 

I will probably play but personally i am agiant as I think it makes tornies more top heavy and I think they are top heavy enough.