You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Doing something different

I'd be interested to hear about some funky plays that people are experimenting with and feedback on whether they tend to work. Not specific hands, but general plays that go beyond ABC poker.

For example, I've been bluff check-raising a lot recently, and against the right opponents (those who automatically think that a CR represents great strength - and there are very many of them!) it's working exceptionally well. I'm also looking for opportunities to shove against squeeze-raisers as I think the squeeze is getting so overused as to make it transparent.

Anything different that you are trying?

Comments

• edited December 2009

I've been experimenting with folding the occasional hand....

Haha no seriously..

I posted about a week ago asking about opinions of the relationship between initial pre flop raise size, and position. - Unfortunately it got overlooked as I posted a hand to illustrate my point but replies focussed more on the hand I posted rather than the point I was making.

Been experimenting, as normally I raise 4xBB in every position. However in the cut off, Im trying to buy position (the button) and I was becoming more and more frustrated with being called by a limper on the button.

Ive started raising 5xBB in the cut off, to put the button of flatting me, and although sometimes it still happens, it hasnt happened as much as it used to. My raising range remains the same, so wether i've got 2/3 suited or AA, I raise the cut off to 5XBB now, or fold of course.

DOHH
  • edited December 2009

Raising to steal the button is quite an advanced play if you don't always raise with the button.
  • edited December 2009
    not something i am proud of but in my early days i would cover the cards up and play the hand as if i had AA or KK! i stopped doing this when tikay said you should never do this