You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can I fold AK here?

Dudeskin8 Small blind  15.00 15.00 1925.00
EDKENT123 Big blind  30.00 45.00 1612.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

thecovkid Fold     
mava Fold     
Wineman Call  30.00 75.00 2115.00
CrystalLee Call  30.00 105.00 1855.00
Dudeskin8 Raise  75.00 180.00 1850.00
EDKENT123 Call  60.00 240.00 1552.50
Wineman Call  60.00 300.00 2055.00
CrystalLee Call  60.00 360.00 1795.00
Flop

• A

Dudeskin8 Bet  270.00 630.00 1580.00
EDKENT123 Fold     
Wineman Raise  540.00 1170.00 1515.00
CrystalLee Fold     
Dudeskin8 All-in  1580.00 2750.00 0.00
Wineman Call  1310.00 4060.00 205.00
Dudeskin8 Show
  • K
  • A

Wineman Show
  • A

Turn

River

Wineman Win Two Pairs, Aces and 3s 4060.00  4265.00
Bad beat as per usual, but did I have the option of folding?

Comments

• edited December 2009
    Bigger raise PF required.

The min raise looks a bit suspicious of 33 of 55. Blinds are big enough to get away.
  • edited December 2009
    Gotta agree with Clio that a bigger preflop raise is needed to stop these kinda hands being allowed in against us. Once that flop comes u have to ask urself questions about ur opponent.  In ur shoes Im probably calling here but as i said, the preflop play needed to be better.
  • edited December 2009
    yep should have big raise u let him in cheap ace rag and hit 2 pair
  • edited December 2009

Does this not take out the whole aspect of slow playing although its not a play i like to use myself would you say slow playing over a long period of time would be more financially valuable over the larger raise???
  • edited December 2009

You say the raise needed should be bigger, but I tend to only raise 4x with 10 10 upwards (big pairs), if i do the same raise with AK and miss I would have got same call with 3x, but do 4x with pairs as I have a hand to play with and don't have to hit. Also I know you don't need to hit to win but against hardcore the fish the bluff has little if no effect.

• edited December 2009
    You let too many people into the hand, you want to be 1v1/2 when the flop comes down

apart from that, you probably cant fold AK really
  • edited December 2009
    The 3 and 4 x BB raises are normally when you are the first in the pot, the idea being that you will get rid of all the chaff out there.Once the pot had increased from teh initial blinds, then your bet should be in context of what is already in the middle. Your raise of 75 gave the BB and the limpers odds of 3 -1 to call, and once Ed on the BB came in, then the previous two limpers received better odds. I'd have come in there with any type of connecting cards just to see a flop given those odds.

Slow playing pre flop is an option against one maybe 2 opponents, but as someone pointed out on another thread pocket aces against 4 opponents is only just over a 50% fav to win the hand, so slow playing against 3 opponents without a made hand, is a dangerous game to play.

There are many hands that would be prepared to limp in the situation you have provided,, any pocket pair from 7's below, even against one opponent playing 3 4 os you are only a 63% fav. If you then add two random holdings of 7 8 os and Q 2 suited, all hands that may feel they are given the odds to call after your pre flop raise, then you chances of winning reduce  35%.

With there already having been 2 limpers, Id have been looking at making a raise of 150, and thats with a premium made hand, I may have made it slightly more with a weaker holding, or just limped to see what the flop brought.

The min raise on the flop suggests to me it isnt someone who is afraid of the ace, I would expect a holding of AQ, AJ, to make a bigger raise to protect against the draws, so  it suggest someone has hit 2 pair or a set, altho I admit in teh heat of the moment, I'm probably going to press the call button here, in that exact same situation.

Aski :)
  • edited December 2009

Limp in, bet half pot on flop if you hit, fold to any reraise.

• edited December 2009

Initial suspect raise then a re raise of an all in on a 2 pair or straight call sometimes you dont deserve the pot with that sort of play you gotta go for the throat from the outset if your willing to go all in when your flopped a high pair its not as if your sitting with 7-8 you had ak low initial raise killed you but still no need for the allin.

you got punked, good learning curve
  • edited December 2009
    i think a bigger raise preflop is definitely required.  Like suggested above, a raise to 150 will often get rid of the ace-rag player who figures he is out kickered, or maybe playing against a pair, and therefore not getting the odds to play
  • edited December 2009
    raise to 180 pf
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Can I fold AK here?:
    raise to 180 pf
    Posted by scotty77
    LMAO, novel idea, but has little effect at the level i play.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Can I fold AK here? : LMAO, novel idea, but has little effect at the level i play.
    Posted by Dudeskin8
    then why raise to 75pf.

if you are gonna raise do it properly.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Can I fold AK here? : then why raise to 75pf. if you are gonna raise do it properly.
    Posted by scotty77
    Refer to previous post.
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: Can I fold AK here? : Refer to previous post.
    Posted by Dudeskin8

At least if you put in a meaningful raise preflop you will be justified in asking questions about a call from Ace 3.

Once one player calls your raise to 75 the whole table has odds to come along.

• edited December 2009
    Limp in, bet half pot on flop if you hit, fold to any reraise.
    Posted by BlackFish3
    Limp in when you feel you are ahead, put chips in the middle when you dont know and then back off if you are raised?

What if he is called by 2 pair or more looking for value on the turn and river?

This is awful advice!