You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Fold Equity?

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
What does this mean :D

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Basically a % added on to our hand equity when we determine (through reads, our stack size and there stack size in relation the blinds/pot) how likely an opponent/opponents will fold to a bet/shove. 

If you often player tournaments having fold equity is crucial especially when sub 20bb. When we have this stack we really need to be looking for spots where we can open jam if short enough or 3bet jam if we have around 15-20bb to maintain a stack which gives us fold equity. 
    Once you lose your fold equity you've had it, unless you get very lucky or youre a Sky MTT beast who blinds down to like 4bb and picks up AA or KK then repeats the process like a boss until they min cash.

• edited April 2013
    An example of having no fold equity is shoving with 5BB. Say blinds are 100/200, there's 300 in the pot and you shove for your remaining 1000 chips. The big blind has to call 800 to win 1300, meaning he only needs to win 38% of the time to make it a profitable call. That's a big range seeing as your range is so wide too. This is why it is so important to learn to play a short stack and enusre your don't drop too far below 10BB and start shoving light in good spots from 15BB and less.

It's also important to know if an opponent is pot committed. If they've put in half their stack you can't bluff them because they shouldn't fold.
  • edited April 2013
    Both excellently explained answers. What I may add to that is a great way to practice this is in STT's. Especially turbo's as you really need to understand this concept to ever be profitable it them as you simply dont have the time to wait for good cards. Its a great way to learn when and how to spot the right times to shove over the top of limpers and weak raises no matter what cards you have.

For example looking down at 42o on the button when you have 15BB is not an automatic fold. If youve noticed the SB and BB are sitting on middling stacks and havent been that active then just shove allin! There less likely to call light as you can do decent damage to there stack.

Another example on the other extreme is being UTG with 15BB and you have A4s is not an automatic allin. You have less fold equity as you have the whole table to get through and the greater likelyhood of someone having a hand. 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Fold Equity?:
    What does this mean :D
    Posted by LARSON7
    It's on live play you should show good table equity when you fold.  Don't slam the cards down or throw them across the table, just place them in the middle for the dealer to pick up.

It is also bad equity in live play to splash the pot.  This is when you throw your chips untidily into the middle.  Don't do it
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold Equity?:
    In Response to Fold Equity? : It's on live play you should show good table equity when you fold.  Don't slam the cards down or throw them across the table, just place them in the middle for the dealer to pick up. It is also bad equity in live play to splash the pot.  This is when you throw your chips untidily into the middle.  Don't do it
    Posted by Kenny_C

lol
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Fold Equity? : It's on live play you should show good table equity when you fold.  Don't slam the cards down or throw them across the table, just place them in the middle for the dealer to pick up. It is also bad equity in live play to splash the pot.  This is when you throw your chips untidily into the middle.  Don't do it
    Posted by Kenny_C
    You've confused equity with etiquette!
  • edited April 2013

I'M LOST

(* *)
       ?
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by Kenny_C
    I can't tell if this is serious or not.
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by Kenny_C
    you have just made me howl for ages, thanks for brightening up my day!!!
  • edited April 2013
    lol haha best skypost this month
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold Equity? : You've confused equity with etiquette!
    Posted by NColley
    I think you've confused serious comment with sarcasm, me old china!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold Equity? : you have just made me howl for ages, thanks for brightening up my day!!!
    Posted by THEROCK573
    Pleased to help ;)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Fold Equity? : Pleased to help ;)
    Posted by Kenny_C
    Don't tell porkies, you were steaming and got your etiquettes and and equities mixed up.