You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Always find this a tricky spot, any advice?

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
sSmall blind  £0.10 £0.10 £74.32
bBig blind  £0.20 £0.30 £51.99
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • Q

robbie1992 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £75.33
Raise  £2.20 £3.10 £34.12
 Fold     
 Fold     
robbie1992 Call  £1.60 £4.70 £73.73
Flop

robbie1992 Bet  £2.35 £7.05 £71.38
 Raise  £9.40 £16.45 £24.72
robbie1992 Fold     

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Why did you donk-bet? You've flatted the 3bet (presumably to disguise your hand), so let him c-bet with his TT/JJ/AK/AQ type hands.

It's the donking that has put you in a wierd spot imo, but I think we're gonna be beat here a lot with his raise sizing.
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    I no I tried taking a different approach by donking I didn't just wanna c/c all streets.  Btw it's a deep cash table so I don't really wanna be stacking off here I don't think, do I? Think I'm always beat if he wants to get his stack in on this flop.  Loose passive that's why I was worried when he raised because he hasn't done it often, but he did stack off with 2 pair on a flush flop to me.

Btw how did u get on lambert?
  • edited April 2013
    As played..........we are not set mining with queens, the flop is good and oppo has 24 quid left behind. Why are we folding? I would just 3 bet on the flop to set him in...........not me telling you how to the play the hand but it's what I would have done.

Don't/Can't play cash......I'm not a fan of the donk bet either but as played I'm curious to know why we should fold?
  • edited April 2013
    yeah reads on opponent would help, how they play and are they tight/loose aggro/passive how often they have 3bet pre etc.

when u flat 3bet pre is it to be deceptive or you thinkin they only have aa/kk if you do just fold pre sounds nitty but they are some players at micros only 3bet aa/kk. also did you not think of 4bettin to get it in

when you donk bet what your plan behind this? is it to bet fold which imo is bad or to bet call it off.

me personally think i c/r because when I flat 3bet wae qq I know what kinda boards Im happy stackin off on and what flops I fold to.

so overall as played Im stacking off here but im a pure donkey at cash this month so prob best not 2 listen to me lol.

• edited April 2013
    Yeah but what does he do this with that we beat. The plan for the donk bet was to use it as a blocker, I was scared when he raised pre because his loose passive so his just been calling pre so when he raises I'm suspicious.  I didn't want to c/c all streets at his price so I donked, don't do this move often thought I'd try to see by tbh I don't like it..... He might of even had ak see my donk bet As weakness as raised it up.

When I was in the hand I thought I don't beat much that he does this with on the flop then after I thought I might aswell just had 22 I'm essential set mining by playing it like this, but I don't want to get 400 bb in on just an overpaid I don think, that's why I find this tricky
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Always find this a tricky spot, any advice?:
    Yeah but what does he do this with that we beat. The plan for the donk bet was to use it as a blocker, I was scared when he raised pre because his loose passive so his just been calling pre so when he raises I'm suspicious.  I didn't want to c/c all streets at his price so I donked, don't do this move often thought I'd try to see by tbh I don't like it..... He might of even had ak see my donk bet As weakness as raised it up. When I was in the hand I thought I don't beat much that he does this with on the flop then after I thought I might aswell just had 22 I'm essential set mining by playing it like this, but I don't want to get 400 bb in on just an overpaid I don think, that's why I find this tricky
    Posted by robbie1992
    You didn't want to check-call all streets? What if you knew he had JJ or AK? You'd want to check-call three streets then, wouldn't you? What you really mean is that you didn't want to call him down if he had AA or KK.

That's something that's lacking in your posts: You don't seem to be thinking about his range for 3-betting and how you're going to exploit it. You have QQ which is a super-strong hand... However, if he only 3-bets with AA or KK, then QQ isn't such a super-strong hand. It's no stronger than 22 or 33 against those hands. So what range do you give him for 3-betting?

If you give him that super-narrow range, then - and here's where I disagree with liamboi - surely we should be calling that 3-bet simply to set-mine. Presumably, an opponent who waits for AA or KK to 3-bet isn't going to find a fold on a Queen-high flop. Couple this with us being ~175BBeff deep and we're getting great implied odds to flop our set. We must be willing to check-fold on any flop that doesn't improve our hand, though. After all, we "know" he can only have better hands than us.

If we give him a much wider range than just AA or KK for this 3-bet, then we should ask ourselves how much his range will be narrowed by a pre-flop 4-bet. If he's going to call or 5-bet with lots of weaker hands, then we should prefer the 4-bet. Obviously we'd want him to put as much money in as possible before the flop with those weaker hands. Sometimes it means we run into the top of his range but if we're confident that he continues with lots of worse hands, then in the long-run the 4-bet will be profitable. Against this type of opponent we want to get more money in pre-flop rather than play the flop out of position with lots of betting still to be done.

If his range would be narrowed down alot by a 4-bet, then we can call to allow him to bluff or value bet worse down the streets. We'd need to reassess through the streets and perhaps would need to call three streets or make a big lay-down, depending on the board. We won't always be right.

Those are the leading options for playing this hand. None of them should really involve donk-betting on the flop, in my opinion. You seem to think he's got a narrow 3-betting range, so you need to think about how to exploit it.

You say that you donked as a blocker but the question is; as a blocker to what? If we bet and he folds, we've stopped him from bluffing us with AK or AQ but we have QQ, so why do we want to stop him bluffing with AK or AQ? If he has AA or KK, he's obviously not folding and we're just giving him more money than we need to. If he decides to come over the top of us, do we really know that he has us beat?

If we donk-bet this flop it has to be because we think we can induce a bluff from him with a weak range or we can be called by weaker hands which he might not bet himself. It's going to take a pretty solid read to say that this is better than checking to him to let him c-bet, because by betting ourselves we inevitably fold out alot of weaker hands and risk levelling ourselves if he raises and we don't know what it means.

It seems as though you donk-bet without really knowing what you wanted him to do in response.

I think the problem with this hand is that you didn't really think about your opponent's range, you just thought "He's strong but I have QQ". Forget that you have QQ and think about the hands in his range and how you can best exploit them. Then stick to that plan.
  • edited April 2013
    As played..........we are not set mining with queens, the flop is good and oppo has 24 quid left behind. Why are we folding? I would just 3 bet on the flop to set him in...........not me telling you how to the play the hand but it's what I would have done. Don't/Can't play cash......I'm not a fan of the donk bet either but as played I'm curious to know why we should fold?
    Posted by waller02
    u can.

+1 Borinloner. Great post.

read it at least 3 times OP it will help u alot.
  • edited April 2013
    this hand is just weird why is it weird easy u get raised preflop and u just call preflop with a mssive hand qq so your hand is disguised and the u donk lead the flop wtf why do we do this 99 per cent of the time we chek to the raiser let them bet there bluffs or thre aa kk well thats just a cooler but its a check call down each street here all of the time i thin don leading is fine if we have a up n down draw or a flush draw not when we hit a flop like this this was always gonna happen when u bet 

people see donk leads as weak and punnish them especially as u wasnt the preflop aggressor 
  • edited April 2013
    looking at this again think I agree with some of the posts above maybe c/c a few streets if you do think he has wider than aa/kk pre then it`s fine.

I don`t mind borin disagreeing with me because he backs it up with his good reasoning just my thoughts are they are players at these levels only 3bet aa/kk and robbie said he is very loose passive so should be alarm bells goin off but these players are quite easy to play againist.

But yeah if your saying your going to play qq like small pair like 22/33 etc play to hit set then I dunno if it`s correct but yeah I forgot it was MC table with deep stacks so yeah guesss its fine just does not sound right saying set mining with qq lol.but you got to stick to your plan that you were set-mining and must get away on these dry flops and don`t change mind.
  • edited April 2013
    hmm i wished i had just 4bet pre tbh, i should just thin what iv seen from this opponent and get the money in pre flop.  I just think that when i do  this im at the bottom of his pre stacking off range, aa,kk,ak, qq, jj possiably 1010, so im beating 2 hands and coinflipping ak.

Thanks for all your responses, especially yours borin that was as detailed as it comes lol  But can i ask, this is a 20nl game with deep stacks does that not change the mindset of our moves at all....surely it does?
  • edited April 2013
    don't make bets that put you in tricky spots

• edited April 2013
    wow i see why your a borinloner to most people now lol - what a post. 

for op take this on bard win some money and buy this man a pint. 
  • edited April 2013
    You could justify 4-bet folding if you think he's fairly straightforward. AK shouldn't jam for that number of bigs so we can make a better informed fold. If they flat and flop plays the same AdKd looks pretty likely.
  • edited April 2013
    hmm i wished i had just 4bet pre tbh, i should just thin what iv seen from this opponent and get the money in pre flop.  I just think that when i do  this im at the bottom of his pre stacking off range, aa,kk,ak, qq, jj possiably 1010, so im beating 2 hands and coinflipping ak. Thanks for all your responses, especially yours borin that was as detailed as it comes lol  But can i ask, this is a 20nl game with deep stacks does that not change the mindset of our moves at all....surely it does?
    Posted by robbie1992
    The fact that it's NL20 should have no bearing on your thoughts. I know you hear alot of general talk about ways to beat NL4, NL10, etc, but you really need to be adapting to beat each individual opponent. There are players at NL20 right now who will be broke in a few days and there are players who will be playing professionally in a year or two. Are you going to develop a "general strategy for NL20" that exploits both the future pros and the heavy depositors in just the same way? That seems unlikely.

The fact that it's deep will affect your thoughts on how your opponent will play. However, if he has a hand that he wouldn't fold to a 4-bet with 100BB, there's no reason to think he'd fold it to a 4-bet 175BB deep. He might flat-call instead of 5-bet but he's not going to fold his AK, JJ, TT, etc. when he's got 150BB behind if he wouldn't fold with 75BB behind. He may actually be more likely to continue with weaker hands when he has lots of money behind. Maybe he can even 5-bet light to put you in a tricky situation, leveraging his entire stack without putting it all into the middle.

If a 4-bet would be profitable 100BB deep against this opponent, then it's likely to be profitable 175BB deep too.

You shouldn't be thinking "I'm playing 175BB. I can't get that all-in profitably with just QQ/AK". That's the sort of thing you hear and read alot but it's a really bad way to think. If you're playing somebody that only gets this much in with AA or KK, then obviously you can't get it in with QQ profitably. If your opponent is the type to put in 175BB with JJ, TT, 99, AK, AQ, AJ, etc. then getting it all-in with QQ sounds pretty good.

Can this opponent barrell three streets with air? Does this opponent play face-up post-flop? Does this opponent fold his big pairs on wet boards? That's how you need to be thinking. Obviously we won't always have superb information on every player but we can have a general idea.

You should think about how the stack sizes affect the play but your first thought in any hand needs to be "what does my opponent's action mean for his range and how can I exploit it?" Encorporate the stack sizes into your thinking on that.
  • edited April 2013
    wow i see why your a borinloner to most people now lol - what a post.  for op take this on bard win some money and buy this man a pint. 
    Posted by The_Don90
    I don't drink, so that pint would have to be lemonade. :)

I've also discovered that there's a new bambino in The_Don's life. It seems we should be talking about buying you a drink. Congrats.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Always find this a tricky spot, any advice? : You didn't want to check-call all streets? What if you knew he had JJ or AK? You'd want to check-call three streets then, wouldn't you? What you really mean is that you didn't want to call him down if he had AA or KK. That's something that's lacking in your posts: You don't seem to be thinking about his range for 3-betting and how you're going to exploit it. You have QQ which is a super-strong hand... However, if he only 3-bets with AA or KK, then QQ isn't such a super-strong hand. It's no stronger than 22 or 33 against those hands. So what range do you give him for 3-betting? If you give him that super-narrow range, then - and here's where I disagree with liamboi - surely we should be calling that 3-bet simply to set-mine. Presumably, an opponent who waits for AA or KK to 3-bet isn't going to find a fold on a Queen-high flop. Couple this with us being ~175BBeff deep and we're getting great implied odds to flop our set. We must be willing to check-fold on any flop that doesn't improve our hand, though. After all, we "know" he can only have better hands than us. If we give him a much wider range than just AA or KK for this 3-bet, then we should ask ourselves how much his range will be narrowed by a pre-flop 4-bet. If he's going to call or 5-bet with lots of weaker hands, then we should prefer the 4-bet. Obviously we'd want him to put as much money in as possible before the flop with those weaker hands. Sometimes it means we run into the top of his range but if we're confident that he continues with lots of worse hands, then in the long-run the 4-bet will be profitable. Against this type of opponent we want to get more money in pre-flop rather than play the flop out of position with lots of betting still to be done. If his range would be narrowed down alot by a 4-bet, then we can call to allow him to bluff or value bet worse down the streets. We'd need to reassess through the streets and perhaps would need to call three streets or make a big lay-down, depending on the board. We won't always be right. Those are the leading options for playing this hand. None of them should really involve donk-betting on the flop, in my opinion. You seem to think he's got a narrow 3-betting range, so you need to think about how to exploit it. You say that you donked as a blocker but the question is; as a blocker to what? If we bet and he folds, we've stopped him from bluffing us with AK or AQ but we have QQ, so why do we want to stop him bluffing with AK or AQ? If he has AA or KK, he's obviously not folding and we're just giving him more money than we need to. If he decides to come over the top of us, do we really know that he has us beat? If we donk-bet this flop it has to be because we think we can induce a bluff from him with a weak range or we can be called by weaker hands which he might not bet himself. It's going to take a pretty solid read to say that this is better than checking to him to let him c-bet, because by betting ourselves we inevitably fold out alot of weaker hands and risk levelling ourselves if he raises and we don't know what it means. It seems as though you donk-bet without really knowing what you wanted him to do in response. I think the problem with this hand is that you didn't really think about your opponent's range, you just thought "He's strong but I have QQ". Forget that you have QQ and think about the hands in his range and how you can best exploit them. Then stick to that plan.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Thanks alot boring, alot of that made perfect sense, very detailed ill try use it effectively next time i play think i just need to show abit less fear and trust my reads.
  • edited April 2013
    meh idk about 4betting QQ this deep without reads

c/c flop. How many streets you c/c depends on reads. As others have said pay attention to BLs posts
  • edited April 2013
    simples aa vs kk is a cooler im happy to call here pre and check call down on a flop like this :) best line imo n sticking buy it ya hand is so disguised by the flat call if u 4 bet its inda face up and if ya get 5 bet puts u in a fml spot 
  • edited April 2013
    if u check raise the flop tho liam ya getting  ak hands to fold u want to keep them in if hes got aa kk then so be it i think they can have a wider range then aa kk or ak here  
  • edited April 2013
    if u check raise the flop tho liam ya getting  ak hands to fold u want to keep them in if hes got aa kk then so be it i think they can have a wider range then aa kk or ak here  
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    yeah I did not really think about it much in my 1st post but 2nd time looking at it I changed my mind as you can see in my 2nd post I said I agree with most of yous by c/c a few streets is prob best but c/r aint the worst play either, but either way i`m no folding flop.
  • edited April 2013
    Tbh, it all depends on your image, how they see you, and you see them.

If you only EVER 4bet with QQ+ then yeah 4betting turns your hand face up, but if you 4bet light sometimes or even just 4bet a bit wider against an aggro opponent who is capable of getting it in with more than just KK+ then it can be fine, but we should always imo be 4bettign to GII, not 4betting to 'find out' they have KK+ and fold.
  • edited April 2013
    who was it against?