You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

50 nl is this a call on the turn with implied odds

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
I see this alot here if i call my hand am i gonna get paid its far easier to play it in position then out of position as if i called am i gonna get paid on the river ?  where as if i was in position its alot easier to play robriSmall blind £0.25£0.25£43.87MWLUFCBig blind £0.50£0.75£31.00 Your hole cardsJ9   Herbs6Fold    IDONKCALLURaise £1.50£2.25£99.47augean01Call £1.50£3.75£131.01dre136Fold    robriFold    MWLUFCFold    Flop  874   IDONKCALLUBet £2.00£5.75£97.47augean01Raise £5.88£11.63£125.13IDONKCALLUCall £3.88£15.51£93.59Turn  5   IDONKCALLUCheck    augean01Bet £7.76£23.27£117.37

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Yeah I think you have to call with the double gutshot + FD when he's only 1/2 potted and we have so much behind. Ideally we'd like reads though that they aint a super nit who won't put any money in on a scary ish river. Like the 6 will be pretty obv (although some people will call off a bet thinking it's a split and you're trying to pinch it), T is more concealed, and as played the spade will be a dream card for your range and he may not pay you off.
  • edited April 2013
    Just work out how much you need to get paid on river when you hit to make your call +EV.
    If you feel you can get paid that or more than yeah call all day

Depends what oppo is holding aswell, some of you outs may be dead

All of your flush outs may be dead

oppo probably holding A6ss )

GL
  • edited April 2013
    On reflection, do you think raising with J9s in this situation UTG+1 is a profitable long-term prospect? Is the table really weak?

All depends on the range we give him for raising the flop and barrelling the turn. We don't want to call to chase a draw only to find we can't get paid because our opponent just has an 8x or is bluffing. We don't want to chase a non-nut draw just to get stacked by the nut-draw. We don't want to chase a draw just for our opponent to fold his strong flopped hand because our hand is really obvious.

So what were your thoughts when you called the flop raise? Did you consider 3-betting the flop or raising the turn, semi-bluffing with good equity?

Basically the question is: What range do we give our opponent?
  • edited April 2013
    I'll just add that if he's a really tight player and only raises post-flop with a big hand, then we shouldn't be calling the turn bet. That type of player is very likely to shut down on a river that makes our hand so our implied odds against his made hands are really poor. We only likely get it in on the river against that type of player when our hand is actually worst, meaning we have considerable reverse implied odds to call.

Obviously chasing a draw against someone with a wide range isn't profitable either.

Having thought about it, I don't like the call here against any good opponent because we need to think they're going to make a big mistake on the river. Good players don't make many big mistakes so we need our opponent to be pretty bad.