You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i right to shove on the turn

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic
hi guys, this didnt turn out right dont know what i did wrong, this is the first time i have tried to post a hand.

I was short stacked due to a couple of bad beats. some history with villian. He would be betting any A rag, K rag Q rag J rag

the way the hand played out i had 15 outs after the turn, although i thought i might still be ahead with a pair of nines

All i had left was a pot sized bet so decided to shove. I got some abuse from villain for this. Although the outcome was good for me was it the right decision.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
TOD19 Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £2.17
villain
Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £5.18
  Your hole cards
  • 9h
  • 9s

jimmyttt Fold        
mccaw03 Raise   £0.12 £0.18 £4.24
niko38 Fold        
DENZIBOY Call   £0.12 £0.30 £1.35
TOD19 Fold        
villain
Call   £0.08 £0.38 £5.10
Flop

• 8h
  • 6c
  • Jh

villain
Bet   £0.19 £0.57 £4.91
mccaw03 Fold        
DENZIBOY Call   £0.19 £0.76 £1.16
Turn

• 5h

villain
Bet   £0.38 £1.14 £4.53
DENZIBOY All-in   £1.16 £2.30 £0.00
villain
Call   £0.78 £3.08 £3.75
villain
Show
  • Js
  • 4s

DENZIBOY Show
  • 9h
  • 9s

River

• 6h

DENZIBOY Win Flush to the Jack £2.84   £2.84

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Your big mistake is being sat with so little. You shouldn't be short-stacking unless you have a very clear idea of how you're going to use that stack to exploit your opponents. Otherwise you need to top-up to the maximum whenever you take a beat or you're effectively reducing your ammunition. Fair enough if you lost alot on the hand immediately before this and hadn't topped-up in time but you seem to suggest you're down because of a couple of hands.

As it is we're playing ~37BB. With that stack did you consider 3-betting pre-flop? What range of hands did you think mccaw had for raising? What range did you think he would call or 4-bet with if you had 3-bet? 
    What did you think the villain's range was for donk-betting the flop? What did you think his range was for betting the turn?

When you shove the turn you've got to believe that you're going to be called by worse hands. You have no fold equity and so you can't expect him to let a Jack go. After seeing him donk-bet the flop and continue betting on the turned heart, it's reasonable to believe that he has at least a Jack and possibly the flush. Given that, it seems unreasonable to think that we have the best hand at this moment. We're basically hoping that he has just a Jack and that we hit on the river. If he has the flush, there's a good chance that we're already drawing dead.

I think we can call the bet on the turn if we think our hand is best alot of the time but that requires our opponent to have donk-bet with nothing on the flop - or second-pair at best - and then continue on the turn. You've given no indication that you thought this chap was prone to donk-betting with total air.

We don't really have the odds to call to chase the 9-flush on the turn and we can't believe we can get it in good. It seems as though the turn should be a fold.
  • edited April 2013
    thanks for that borinloner.

i think mccaws range to be any pocket pair, A_10 K-T QJ, when he raised, i was looking to set mine or for low cards on the flop

.However when he folded to villains donk bet i decided to see the turn card.

Villain had previously donk bet and called bets with A rag or any K,Q, J. I did not put him on the flush, as previously when given the chance i had taken the betting lead, and i had called a raise so no reason for him to donk bet.

If he had flush then i would have expected him to check,/ raise.

The only card i was afraid of was the jack.

I felt i was already beating a lot of his range and did not really expect him to call, but if he did call i had a few outs.

I had not realised that i had little fold equity, thats something i will need to consider in future.

thanks for putting questions back to me. so much to learn so much to think about.