You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Open ended straight draw

edited April 2013 in The Poker Clinic

In this hand, in the big blind, on the flop i have an openended straight draw.

Would you always bet here, when i hit the straight on the turn, i bet, am reraised and repop it again.

On the river when the board pairs, i check back, due to the reraise on the turn, i'm putting my opponent on a set,/ 2 pair. Whne opponent shoves, i think theres a good chance i'm beat, but i think i still have to call. Tough spot.

Would you be betting the flop? Bigger on the turn? Can we ever fold river?

Any feedback appreciated:D

Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £9.93
LARSON7 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.33
  Your hole cards
  • J

J0NSEY Call  £0.04 £0.10 £3.12
raggy94 Fold     
garazmafia Fold     
soundie Fold     
slackalice Fold     
LARSON7 Check     
Flop

• K
  • Q

LARSON7 Check     
J0NSEY Check     
Turn

LARSON7 Bet  £0.08 £0.18 £3.25
J0NSEY Raise  £0.21 £0.39 £2.91
LARSON7 Raise  £0.52 £0.91 £2.73
J0NSEY Call  £0.39 £1.30 £2.52
River

• K

LARSON7 Check     
J0NSEY All-in  £2.52 £3.82 £0.00
LARSON7 Call  £2.52 £6.34 £0.21
LARSON7 Show
  • J

J0NSEY Show

J0NSEY Win Full House, 9s and Kings £5.86

Comments

• edited April 2013
    This is my opinion...

the check on the flop was fine. I also dont mind betting. depends on any reads on your opponent.

I think the 3bet on the turn was a little on the small side. The villans rr tells you he most likely has a big hand and there are quite a few river cards that arent going to be good for you in terms of getting paid, or going behind in the hand (A, T, J, any spade, any card that pairs the board). I'd like to see something like a 3bet to 70p, maybe more even if you think he will call.

as it is, on the river the pot is £1.30, and the villain shoves for £2.52. 2 things about this that make it a painful fold in my book - 
     1-at the lower levels no one ever overbets as a bluff
     2- you have shown alot of strength so they are even less likely to be bluffing. value hands are all going to be full houses/quads. i spose there is also a small chance they have JT too, or if they are a particularly bad player, they may have a naked K, but you are still behind to most of their range.

on the river I would probably try a half pot bet and fold to a shove- saves about £1.80 + you could get paid by a weaker hand like 2pair or a K.

• edited April 2013
    Raise pre

Bet flop

3b turn bigger

B/c river
  • edited April 2013

Yeah the turn should have been bigger, i went to press 1/2 or 3/4 pot, the auot size and it was 2 big, then when the time bar was going down i scrambled something in, which was 2 low. On the river, i should of bet folded.

Justa tought spot, the only card i did not to see was the board pairing.

• edited April 2013

First: 9/4/2011
    Last: 26/4/2013
    Raise pre

Bet flop

3b turn bigger

B/c river

100 per cent this
  • edited April 2013
    IDONKCALLU and grantorino - what range do you put the villan on if they shove the river after you bet? in this case if you do bet the flop, 3bet turn bigger then bet the river you probably dont have much behind anyway so I dont think that is a bad line. 

in this case a 1/2 pot bet on the river leaves almost a pot bet behind... would you still be bet calling?

• edited April 2013
    Larson, what was the number you considered to be "too big" on the turn? We've got the nuts and our opponent is showing alot of interest. We want to play for stacks here so we need to make a raise that allows us to get it in on the river if we're called. I think we should be looking for maximum value and making it 90p-£1. Let's see if we can get him to make a bg mistake rather than a small one. We can now shove the river if we're called.

As played, we definitely should be value-betting the river. He can call a bet with alot of hands that he might just check back with, if given the chance. We should still be pretty confident in our hand. I'd think half-pot would be missing a bit of value in this situation so I'd bet bigger. I'd suggest maybe a nice, round number like £1 that looks like you might just be getting stubborn with your bluff.

When we're raised on the river we have to consider our opponent's range for making that raise. Given that he checked back on the flop and didn't raise pre-flop, we shouldn't make KK, QQ or KQ a big part of his range. There's a good chance that 44 bets this KQ4 flop, too. So we're looking at K9 and 99 as the most likely hands that beat us... We just need to decide how often our opponent is raising a bare-King here and, if we had bet £1, we'd need those Kx hands to make up roughly a quarter of his range to make the call break-even.

It's probably a bet-call on the river, on that basis. Obviously if you think your opponent never gets it in with just a King or worse, then it's a bet-fold.
  • edited April 2013
    they could easily have k 10  k j here its a snap call river we are beating alot of hands   but i wouldnt of checked the river hand is played kinda bad tbh should be raising preflop 

bet flop bet turn bet river its hard enuff to hit big so when ya do get paid on them
  • edited April 2013
    I did fail to address pre-flop and the flop play.

I'm going to agree with betting the flop. You're semi-bluffing with good equity and you'll just take it down very often against a limper. We can decide whether to barrell turn and river based on our opinion of our opponent and the run-out and sometimes take down a sizeable pot without hitting, as well as building a bigger pot for the times we hit.

Pre-flop, I don't mind checking our option sometimes. I don't mind raising sometimes. Depends what we think of our opponent - how often they limp-fold, how often they play fit or fold, what's their range for limping, etc. On the other hand, I don't want to discourage my opponents from limping in on my big blind so I don't want to raise too wide a range. Getting a free flop with the nut-drawing hand is not a bad plan...

What must be said is that checking is not just the automatic option. You have to treat even checking your big blind the same way as you'd treat any other betting option. By that I mean that when checking you have to justify why it's the best way to exploit your opponent - Think "Why is checking better than raising?" rather than just "Ooooh, free flop. Yey!" :)