You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing poker for a living

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Does anyone here play poker for a living? It's my dream to do this but i have no idea how to do it considering i don't have much starting money lol.

I think i'm a good player overall after such a short time of playing (8 months), i'm only 19 so i know i have time on my side to fulfill my dream but i really don't have a clue where to start off, if anyone would care to give me some tips or advice (apart from not playing for a living :P) it would be much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• edited April 2013

There is a decent number of people playing for a living on the site, almost all of whom are playing with their own money, I would imagine. 

There is a tip the channel regularly play from WSOP Main Event champion Greg Raymer.  It goes something like "even if you are an excellent poker player, I do not advise you to become a full-time professional.  If you get bored of the game in 5 or 10 years time you are going to have a hard time explaining it away to a potential employer.  Use poker as a side income."  Good advice.

If you don't have any capital to start with, playing poker for a living isn't really an option anyway.  It isn't like you can apply to be a poker player.  Most players go pro after their first big live win.

• edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Playing poker for a living:
    There is a decent number of people playing for a living on the site, almost all of whom are playing with their own money, I would imagine.  There is a tip the channel regularly play from WSOP Main Event champion Greg Raymer.  It goes something like "even if you are an excellent poker player, I do not advise you to become a full-time professional.  If you get bored of the game in 5 or 10 years time you are going to have a hard time explaining it away to a potential employer.  Use poker as a side income."  Good advice. If you don't have any capital to start with, playing poker for a living isn't really an option anyway.  It isn't like you can apply to be a poker player.  Most players go pro after their first big live win.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    I know when anyone makes these posts they are usually met with the usual "don't do it" "It's harder than you think" replies. There is good reason for this....

There is a ton of stuff to consider if you are seriously thinking about trying to play full time.

Giving specific advice is tricky as it really depends on your personal circumstances i.e. do you have rent & other bills and what exactly is your starting balance. It also depends on your aspirations and whether you want to be able to churn out cash to pay bills or you want to be jet setting all over the world living a champagne lifestyle and playing all the big live games.

Some general things i would consider are the following....

Are you good enough?

Will you be able to not tilt when you get a serious downswing and your rent, car insurance, phone bill etc are due?

Do you have a backup plan?

Are you happy to play unsociable hours and be pounding the tables when your friends are out partying? playing for a living usually means long hours.

Do the numbers support your idea? work out your average ROI over a large sample size and work out ALL your outgoings.

There are so many more things to consider but a lot really depend on your particual situation.

If you are young and stay with your parents and have little outlay then you may be in a situation were it won't hurt to try.

Having said all that if you are good enough and the sun is shining on you then it can be a great adventure, i have got to see a lot of places and do a lot of things through poker that i may not otherwise have had the opportunity to try.

If you seriously want to give it a try then i would suggest ....

1: Try and have all of you bills and any other outlays covered for at least 3 months.

2: Start with as much of a starting bankroll as possible.

3: Put a study plan in place to further your poker education (review sessions with friends, x amount of hours going over hand histories, join some training sites etc etc)

4: If you are lucky enough to hit a big win remember you could have a downswing to ride out so for example if you win $10k and think of it as $10k profit and spend $6k and keep $4k on your roll and then hit a $5k downswing... some quick maths will highlight the problem. Try and have a system in place to allow your roll to grow to give you a better chance of success when the chit does hit the fan.

5: Have some set hours that you don't play, it is easy to forget just how many hours you are racking up when you get into the zone and you can neglect family,friends and the rest of your life without realising it. Apart from that you can burn yourself out and kill all the fun of playing if you totally overdo it and this will affect your expected returns.

If you are starting out with a low roll and your stats are good you might want to consider staking even just to start with to allow you to deal with swings and possibly play higher, staking is another large can of worms to get into though.

Good luck.
  • edited April 2013
    Don't do it. 
  • edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    my belief is for 80% of things in life if you want something bad enough then you can get it if work hard enough but you really need to get some money behind you and a substantial amount aswell or this dream will fall flat on its a55
  • edited April 2013
    How about going to college and learning something whilst you are young. Poker could earn you a few beer tokens along the way but above all just learn something before you put all your eggs in one basket. You will need a plan B at some point.

Does poker have a decent pension scheme? Does it have sick pay? How many holidays do you get? Will it make it easy to get a mortgage?

etc etc etc......

However, if its your dream life then who am I to stop your dream. Please don't think it will be all birds and fast cars. Only the very lucky top players get that.
  • edited April 2013
    Go to college or get a part time job while you play and see how you feel/make in a year. 

It seems better than it is, specially if your watching the stuff on tele where they're playing in amazing locations like Monaco winning millions of dollars etc..... But most poker pros will be grinding away in their room 40+ hours a week.
  • edited April 2013
    tbh i play semi pro and i dnt advice it for any 1 ive been outta work for 3 years n find it hard to get a job coz i been outta work for so long coz of poker there will be alot of days when u play alot of poker and cba to play u will have whole day ahead of ya but dnt wanna play poker u open up tables and thing i cba doing this i used to love the game i still do but its much better to play once a week recreationaly then fulltime i never thought i woulda said all that but after 8 yrs playing the game it gets to ya 

• edited April 2013
    Yh. Most people who wanna become pro are 19 year olds who're using their student loan to play lol I'm much much much more mature than that now in my old age, and I can assure you poker is **** and the game really isn't going anywhere but down atm
  • edited April 2013
    don't bother, play rec

You need to have a big enough edge to even consider it

• edited April 2013

I think a bit more information is needed to help people answer. I don't think I have played you before but I might be wrong. You are making a life decision so you need to think it through and be honest with yourself before you do it.

Why do you want to be a poker pro?
    What have you done that makes you think you are a good player/what games do you play etc
    What would you do if it doesn't work out/you decide you want to do something else?
    What money do you need to make from poker both now and in the future and have you looked into what sort of volume/win rates you would need to get to achieve this?
    Can you see yourself playing poker full time in 5 years/10years/25 years...if not what is your exit strategy given poker pro for x years isn't going to impress to many potential employers.

I have seen lots of threads with people saying they want to be a poker pro (both here and on other forums) and it seems to be people saying, I am doing well at low stakes cash or I have won a £500 in a MTT or I am doing well in low stakes tournaments etc and I am thinking of turning pro so apologies if anything I have said seems harsh but my answer is based on these sorts of posts I have seen.

If you are serious about it I would suggest you got a job and played around that job. If you are serious about doing this it isn't that hard to play in the evenings/weekends and work during the day. This means you can build up a roll to enable you to play at the required stakes and then make a decision about what you want to do.

I think Scotty77/Coxylboro did a post a while ago with how much money you needed behind you to go pro and I think it shocked a lot of people with how much it was so you could PM them to get details.

Matt

• edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure op plays 10nl lol (no disrespect intended, I only play 50nl) 

But yeah, it's cool to have a dream but at least pick a good one

Lets say you become a pro. You're more than likely not going to have some awesome lifestyle in the bahamas like you see on tv and stuff, that's the real big guys. A lot of pro's prob sweat rent every month and poker gets so tedious it's unbelievable. Keep playing it rec atm and just see what happens brah. You might bink a huge score
     soon and that'd change things HINT SCOTTY WHAT
  • edited April 2013
    Why would you want to grind vs other pro's for hours on end every single day (assuming you're cash player) with v.little edge and everyone just waiting for a nice fishy wishy to come along so they can pay your rent?
  • edited April 2013
    There is a decent number of people playing for a living on the site, almost all of whom are playing with their own money, I would imagine.  There is a tip the channel regularly play from WSOP Main Event champion Greg Raymer.  It goes something like "even if you are an excellent poker player, I do not advise you to become a full-time professional.  If you get bored of the game in 5 or 10 years time you are going to have a hard time explaining it away to a potential employer.  Use poker as a side income."  Good advice. If you don't have any capital to start with, playing poker for a living isn't really an option anyway.  It isn't like you can apply to be a poker player.  Most players go pro after their first big live win.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    The same guy who.....

sorry not relevant 
  • edited April 2013
    I work part-time also go to college a few days a week and play poker quite bit each month I do make a profit most months from poker and I would love to play pro but couple reasons I would decide againist is.

1-don`t want to reply on poker on it`s own think it would be to stressful plus have a mrs and kid to supprt for.
    2-really don`t think i`m good enough to play for living so many leaks to fix before even having a attempting it.
    3-also my mental game in poker is terrible I would have so much more profit each month if i did not tilt as much as I do.
    4-I don`t play high enough atm currently 10-30nl and also would need like 6 months bills behind me to feel comfortable taking a shot.
    5-I want the game of poker to remain fun and not a job thats why I started playing so happy playing rec and winning a few quid when I can lol.

but like some others have said you have to be honest with yourself questions like matt as stated.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Playing poker for a living : The same guy who..... sorry not relevant 
    Posted by percival09
    Yeah, I know, was thinking that as I posted.

Still good advice though.
  • edited April 2013
    Aaaaaah **** it. Just wrote a long long reply and it timed me out, i really cannot be bothered writing it all again haha.

One thing you have got to know about me though is that i am a lazy, good for nothing ******* and proud of it lol. I have no intention of ever getting a job, i have no motivation whatsoever, and i absolutely detest having to put effort and commitment into anything. But all those things go out the window when it comes to poker, for the first time in my life i'm actually motivated to do something lol.

That was the main point in the long paragraph i had just typed out, i will answer the other questions another time haha.
  • edited April 2013
    ahhh well. If your gonna waste your life anyway then go for it. The positive side would be that you wouldn't get a bird and theres plenty of stuff to keep you occupied at the click of the finger whilst your at work.

Good luck.
  • edited May 2013
    Aaaaaah **** it. Just wrote a long long reply and it timed me out, i really cannot be bothered writing it all again haha. One thing you have got to know about me though is that i am a lazy, good for nothing ******* and proud of it lol. I have no intention of ever getting a job, i have no motivation whatsoever, and i absolutely detest having to put effort and commitment into anything. But all those things go out the window when it comes to poker, for the first time in my life i'm actually motivated to do something lol. That was the main point in the long paragraph i had just typed out, i will answer the other questions another time haha.
    Posted by skeg01
    Best of luck making it as a poker pro
  • edited May 2013
    for once i agree with prycey
  • edited May 2013
    n thats coming from 1 of the highest cash players on sky so knows what he talking about 
  • edited May 2013
    Don't do it. 
    Posted by pryce6
    what he said ^^^
  • edited May 2013
    It's a far better hobby than a living. Combine both it works for me.
  • edited May 2013
    I would love to become pro, but a) BR way too small, b) I waste and lose BR on sports bets and c) I'm s##t!!!!

I also want to be a professional footballer, but I'm S##t!!!!

I would also like to be a p orn star but I have a little d##k.

.......................Dreams!!!!!
  • edited May 2013
    I would love to become pro, but a) BR way too small, b) I waste and lose BR on sports bets and c) I'm s##t!!!! I also want to be a professional footballer, but I'm S##t!!!! I would also like to be a p orn star but I have a little d##k. .......................Dreams!!!!!
    Posted by macapaca
    haha class
  • edited May 2013
    Dreams can come true you know, i dreamt i won the lottery and the very next day i won :)

But of course it was only a tenner so... haha.

• edited May 2013
    if your serious about, worst case scenario your 19 it doesnt work out you find a career and get your life back on track. 

But for th love of the gods please dont refer to yourself as a poker pro or a semi pro... your either a full time self sufficient player or your not. "pro" has nothing to do with nything imo. 

If i were you and serious about it, i would get a job cleaing toilets or whatever else you can get easily nowadays, work 90days straight, use 100% of the money earnt on poker and aim to be grinding out SNE at stars and use that as an opportunity to travel the world donking around in the 10K-20K MTTs...without playing midstakes or a good loyalty grind forget using poker to be self sufficent. 

Seriously, dont wast your time paying rake in the mircos, study hard, throw your life into it and dont forget to live it at the same time!! 
  • edited May 2013
    if your serious about, worst case scenario your 19 it doesnt work out you find a career and get your life back on track.  But for th love of the gods please dont refer to yourself as a poker pro or a semi pro... your either a full time self sufficient player or your not. "pro" has nothing to do with nything imo.  If i were you and serious about it, i would get a job cleaing toilets or whatever else you can get easily nowadays, work 90days straight, use 100% of the money earnt on poker and aim to be grinding out SNE at stars and use that as an opportunity to travel the world donking around in the 10K-20K MTTs...without playing midstakes or a good loyalty grind forget using poker to be self sufficent.  Seriously, dont wast your time paying rake in the mircos, study hard, throw your life into it and dont forget to live it at the same time!! 
    Posted by TPTP123
    I never said i'm a pro or anything like that lol?

I just said in an earlier post that i have no intention of getting a job or anything like that, i have no motivation for that at all lol. Poker is the only thing i've ever had motivation to do in my entire life.
  • edited May 2013
    All that good advice, then it turns out you're a useless scroaty waster who will never amount to anything in life. Just go and enjoy your benefits and your council house for the next 60 years!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Playing poker for a living : I never said i'm a pro or anything like that lol? I just said in an earlier post that i have no intention of getting a job or anything like that, i have no motivation for that at all lol. Poker is the only thing i've ever had motivation to do in my entire life.
    Posted by skeg01
    lol how old are you, you dont want a job, when you have bills to pay you have no choice pro poker players are a few and far between, think in all honest you need to get in the real world mate!!!