You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Battle of the Generations?

edited April 2013 in Poker Chat

We're sure you've all seen Andew1947's victory in the weekend Super Roller.

This has sparked the usual 'experience' vs 'youth' banter. Which got us thinking...

How might you prove which age group is best? (if any). It would be difficult to prove this 100% this with something short-term and for all the different forms of poker, but at least it would give some banter and bragging rights!

Any ideas? - assuming we start with holdem tournaments for example.

Comments

• edited April 2013

Bring it on!

PS - Which side would I be on - "Experience" or "Youth"?

Just asking.
  • edited April 2013
    Sounds like you have a good marketing idea for the next TSP. Two teams, old v young... you make a big media song and dance over it.....TSP battle of the ages or Sky poker battle of the ages. You could give T-shirts out to players that want to represent their age group and have some kind of prize for the winners. Lots of skypoker T-shirts around the place must be a good thing!

Or you could do a battle of the ages tournament on the community night

Part of the youth v experience thing is a lot of young players have more experience than the old players given youngster multi table.

Also, what age is the cut off point?
  • edited April 2013
    What if you are in your 30s or is that just old in poker?
  • edited April 2013

Is there not a lot more younger players than older players anyway? This would obv have a factor in this discussion. 

Why would you want to try and create yet another 'divide' too? One of the biggest selling points of poker is ANYONE can play it regardless of age, sex, religion, background or BR! 

I know this is a 'fun' thread but I still think it is irrelevant what age you are.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Battle of the Generations?:
    Is there not a lot more younger players than older players anyway? This would obv have a factor in this discussion.  Why would you want to try and create yet another 'divide' too ? One of the biggest selling points of poker is ANYONE can play it regardless of age, sex, religion, background or BR!  I know this is a 'fun' thread but I still think it is irrelevant what age you are.
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Don't worry, we are not trying to create a divide at all. It's just an observation based on comments on other threads and yes, it is a bit of banter / fun. It is a topic which crops up from time to time. Plus it's not necessarily youth vs experience, there's various shades of grey (pardon the pun). 
  • edited April 2013
    Sounds like you have a good marketing idea for the next TSP. Two teams, old v young... you make a big media song and dance over it.....TSP battle of the ages or Sky poker battle of the ages. You could give T-shirts out to players that want to represent their age group and have some kind of prize for the winners. Lots of skypoker T-shirts around the place must be a good thing! Or you could do a battle of the ages tournament on the community night Part of the youth v experience thing is a lot of young players have more experience than the old players given youngster multi table. Also, what age is the cut off point?
    Posted by MattBates
    True, length of playing experience is another factor.
  • edited April 2013
    The card's don't know how old you are )

• edited April 2013

you know you're old when you forget how old you are...

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited April 2013
    Personally i think a good young player is superior. This is proven by the missing giants of the pre moneymaker era who you just dont hear about now. 

However a well adapted experianced player - of which there are many, will still probably be more successful. 

So i guess youth, but there is no sub for experiance 
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Battle of the Generations? : Don't worry, we are not trying to create a divide at all. It's just an observation based on comments on other threads and yes, it is a bit of banter / fun. It is a topic which crops up from time to time. Plus it's not necessarily youth vs experience, there's various shades of grey (pardon the pun).  
    Posted by Sky_Poker

Well in that case....you need to allocate age ranges. I obv will not be in any as 29 is an odd age.....neither young or old.
  • edited April 2013
    i'm happy to captain the kids....
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by yoyo

Bluffing again Julian, sigh.
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by yoyo
    I have already nominated myself for that.

You can look after the wrinklies if you wish.
  • edited April 2013
    Never thought of myself as being old...but im actually old enough to be Julians dad !!
    Sigh 
  • edited April 2013
    One thought...

Just because you're young, doesn't mean you're inexperienced.

There are 21 year-olds who've played significantly more hands in their first three years at the (virtual) tables than guys & gals in their sixties and seventies who've been playing for decades.

Bless the Internet and that whole multi-tabling thing!
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Battle of the Generations? : I have already nominated myself for that. You can look after the wrinklies if you wish.
    Posted by Tikay10

That sounds like a challenge to me. ;)
  • edited April 2013
    One thought... Just because you're young, doesn't mean you're inexperienced. There are 21 year-olds who've played significantly more hands in their first three years at the (virtual) tables than guys & gals in their sixties and seventies who've been playing for decades. Bless the Internet and that whole multi-tabling thing!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    How did you get on the other night hope you kept your bounty? ;)
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Battle of the Generations? : I have already nominated myself for that. You can look after the wrinklies if you wish.
    Posted by Tikay10

ID please :)
  • edited April 2013
    One thought... Just because you're young, doesn't mean you're inexperienced. There are 21 year-olds who've played significantly more hands in their first three years at the (virtual) tables than guys & gals in their sixties and seventies who've been playing for decades. Bless the Internet and that whole multi-tabling thing!
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Very true.
  • edited April 2013
    young players dont value money as much as older people do thus making it intriguing.
    im sure loose aggressive in cash games is probably the better way to approach the game,
    but in MTTs you have to play conserative when the blinds are cheap and no antes thus making the older generation better at early stages.
    As the blinds increase the loose aggressive player will take advantage making more steals/resteals
    but gives up a little percentage so he can aim for the big score instead of mincashing etc thus making 1,2 and 3rd more of a likely outcome when he runs good. As for the tight player, He will generally still play tight and hope to win flips when his chips are depleating and doesnt put him self in the position to win the MTT as much.

Think i kind of answered it the best i could in about 5 mins,
    yoyo do you want to play heads up hyper turbos??
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by J-Hartigan
    Another thought along the same lines......

Just because we are old does not mean we........

Yikes, can't remember what I was going to say now.
  • edited April 2013
    @skypoker can you give me some feedback on the post i put in the community suggestions forum as i feel it would be beneficial to the community in whole.
    ps, the community suggestion  forum is dead due to lack of involvement on skys behalf (not responding to posts).
  • edited April 2013
    young players dont value money as much as older people do thus making it intriguing. im sure loose aggressive in cash games is probably the better way to approach the game, but in MTTs you have to play conserative when the blinds are cheap and no antes thus making the older generation better at early stages. As the blinds increase the loose aggressive player will take advantage making more steals/resteals but gives up a little percentage so he can aim for the big score instead of mincashing etc thus making 1,2 and 3rd more of a likely outcome when he runs good. As for the tight player, He will generally still play tight and hope to win flips when his chips are depleating and doesnt put him self in the position to win the MTT as much. Think i kind of answered it the best i could in about 5 mins, yoyo do you want to play heads up hyper turbos??
    Posted by timebomb10
    more than happy to play some HU hypers, wanna do an hour sometime tomorrow?
  • edited April 2013
     I formed my opinion watching Tikay and Orford on sky tv----- Did Laurel and hardy ever play poker?
  • edited April 2013
    Personally i think a good young player is superior. This is proven by the missing giants of the pre moneymaker era who you just dont hear about now.  However a well adapted experianced player - of which there are many, will still probably be more successful.  So i guess youth, but there is no sub for experiance 
    Posted by The_Don90
    #sigh

bring it on, as if andrew1947 hasn´t answered all the questions already!
  • edited April 2013
    A man that plays the highest cash games on sky and not scared to play any 1 how can u not respect andrew1947 a great win last nite sir congrats 
  • edited April 2013
    Eric Siedal

Need I say anymore
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Battle of the Generations? : more than happy to play some HU hypers, wanna do an hour sometime tomorrow?
    Posted by yoyo

I inboxed you so just message back with a time etc
  • edited April 2013
    Posted by yoyo                   Non playing i take it lol                                                                                                               
  • edited April 2013
    Doyle Brunson is quite happy to take on any young player who wanders by Bobby`s room and "whup the a.........."