You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Slyklling Weakly – my 3 headed personal challenge.

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
gd luck sly ya a pretty good player so i have all faith in ya 

my advice is just stick to the small mtts n avoid cash 

Comments

• edited April 2013
    OK so I’ve decided to start a diary of sorts to chart my progress in a few personal challenges I’m setting myself both in poker and in everyday life.

I’ve decided to do this because I’ve always found that by writing things down and keeping a record of progress, it really helps me to focus on achieving objectives so even if nobody reads it, it’s still going to useful to me.

Firstly a little about the title, as some of you will know I used to be a competitive racing cyclist hence my alias.  Cycling Weekly was and probably still is the leading cycling magazine in the UK and the play on words pretty accurately describes my current ability on a bike so it seemed an appropriate title as I also intend to update the thread at least once per week.

Anyway, t
    he three challenges I’ve set myself are as follows:

Poker – As a means of trying to introduce more discipline into my game, I’ve been keen to take on a bankroll challenge for some time, so as of Monday 29th April I’ll be starting with a bankroll of £100 with an aim of spinning this up to £1000 by adopting good solid bank roll management.  I will play across all formats and game types, but will limit my buy in level to a maximum of 2.5% of my total bank roll.  So at £100 bankroll, my maximum buy in will be £2.50.

Lifestyle – Since being forced to quit cycling a few years ago, I’ve slowly lost all of my fitness and put on almost 3 stone in weight and inspired by Dylan12’s forum thread I’ve decided to try and do something about it.  So my 2nd objective is to lose 2 stone and get from my current 15st 4 down to 13st 4.  I’ll be attempting this by a combination of diet, exercise (I hope to be able to do at least a little cycling) and drastically cutting down my alcohol intake, which brings me to objective 3……..

100 days alcohol free – Knowing it is unrealistic that I will get even close to completely cutting out alcohol, I’m going to keep track of the number of days that I do not have a drink (I’ll still be drinking as normal on nights out etc.) which I hope will help to cut out those cheeky pints and odd glasses of wine or two that too often creep into everyday life.

So in summary the challenges are:

1, Bankroll Challenge - £100 to £1000, maximum buyin 2.5% of bankroll.
    2, Weight Loss Challenge – Lose 2 stone, 15st 4 to 13st 4.
    3, 100 alcohol free days.

I’ll keep a record of progress towards all three of these objectives on a weekly basis and hopefully manage to include a few interesting stories and stuff along the way.

The challenge / diary will end when I have either achieved one of these objectives or gone broke in my bankroll challenge.

If anyone wants to take a guess which one I’ll complete first or how long it will take me, please feel free.
  • edited April 2013
    gl m8 you will achieve all 3 no probs
  • edited April 2013
    Best of luck mate

I did your challenge in reverse recently.

Was constantly p....d, put on 2 stone and went from £1000 to £100 :)
  • edited April 2013
    gl sir :-) always good to read a not just poker related diary! 

• edited April 2013
  • edited April 2013
    gl with this Sly

deffo a tough challenge and making just one will be a great achievement.

best wishes

(* *)
       ^
    dev
  • edited April 2013

Good luck Simon,

The Diet is the easiest of the three, by a long shot!

I have, as it happens (WARING, CHIRP INCOMING) finished ny own diet today, & lost exactly two stones in three months. Easiest thing ever ever ever.

Eat less.

Eat better.

There are no short cuts, & you need to be obsessive about it, no "rest days" or "cheating".

I actually ate just as much volume as I ever did, but I just ate better things.

I shall now be daft & stick it all back on again by eating bad stuff. It was always the way, I've done it annually for over 30 years now!

• edited April 2013
    Best of luck with this, it should be a great read. Here are my thoughts;

1. The poker. I'm sure you'll do this based on your history of consitant winning results. Just as long as you have the discipline to stick to the 2.5% rule no matter what. If you do it'll take the mother of all downswings to make you go completely broke, something that's very unlikely. How long will it take? Well this is poker we're talking about here; if you go on a huge heater you could do it in a month, if variance is unfriendly it could take a year or more, only time will tell.

2. Lose 2 stone. I've never been on a diet myself, however I'd say this is probably the hardest of the three. It's a sensible target so I see no reason why you won't make it.

3. 100 days of no booze. This is the easiest of the three in my opinion and will probably be the first you finish. Most years (the only recent exception is in 2010 when I was still on the end-to-end walk/pub crawl) I give up the booze for the 100 days between my birthday and Christmas. After only a week you'll already feel better for it and have got well past any cravings. The only tough times after that will be if you find yourself in a social situation in which everybody else is drinking. I succesfully survived a 2 week holiday in Florida during my 100 dry days in 2011. What I like to do is put a bottle of my favourite beer in the fridge at the very start, where it then stays for the enitre 100 days. I tell everybody on what exact date and time I'm going to allow myself to crack it open and drink it. When that day finally comes it always tastes better than any beer I've ever tasted before!
  • edited April 2013
    Think i have played against you a few times, if you stick to £2-50 which is 60% of my games
    we will no dought meet again......GOOD LUCK ON ALL THREE..
  • edited April 2013
    And we're off......

I would have also take a photo of the no beer in my fridge, but that seemed a bit pointless!
  • edited April 2013
    good luck with all 3 targets
  • edited April 2013
    Good luck with this.
    My opinion for what it's worth
    No1.  Easy your a good player
    No2. Possible due to your previous discipline as a racer
    No3. www.alcoholics-anonymous.org.uk/
  • edited April 2013
    Good luck cyclists, best of both worlds lose some chips and gain somechips at the poker, best of both worlds:D
  • edited April 2013

Played the DTD games tonight, thankfully I was on a freebie after MAXALLY donated his community league prize to me last week as I played absolutely awful and busted all 3 tournaments inside 2 hours.

After busting them I regged into the 21:15 £2.20 Deepstack and luckily built a decent stack early on as I had to ride out some pretty nasty beats along the way to 5th place out of 68 runners and my first profit of the challenge.  A bit of run bad at just the wrong time after I'd got myself into a position where I felt I could go on and win it killed of those hopes, but still nice to finish day 1 of the challenge in profit.

Slykllist06£8.84

Profit: £6.64
    Bank Roll: £106.64

Bit too early to comment on the other 2 challenges yet but no horrific slips to report on day 1.
  • edited April 2013

Best of luck m8, have no doubt you will smash the poker challenge, just keep away from the 25 gtd please.

With regards the others, the drinking should be doable and if you achieve this 1 that will help towards the weight loss.
  • edited April 2013
    N1 Si.  Gl gl

P.S.  Nice pun.  My dad gets that mag, plenty of back issues lying about the house.  Although tbh when I read your thread title the first time I was a little sloshed and couldn't make head nor tail.
  • edited May 2013
    Hmmmmm....... bad times tonight, well I do like a challenge!

Hadn't planned on playing at all tonight but got the urge so decided to play a couple of £2.10 HU turbo sng's before bed, started off fine winning the first one and I thought, if I can just win one more that will take me to £110, 10% in 2 days is pretty good so loaded a second one.

Well....... we lost that one, then we loaded another........ you see where I'm going with this.  I had a couple of opponents come in for one game and leave, I won a couple and I lost a couple but was still just behind where I'd started so wasn't in anyway satisfied and still short of the £110 target that was now fixed in my head, so of course..... I loaded another one!

Anyway a new opponent came along, I'm sure he won't mind me mentioning his name as I told him he'd get a mention in my diary, shane1965, from sharkscope I could see he was a new player to Sky and hadn't got off to a good start on the site with a -100% ROI so I'm rubbing my hands together!

The carnage that ensued over the next hour can only be described as horrific, I lost count of the number of times I got it in ahead and lost, I don't rememeber winning a single 50/50 flip and lost some horrendous 70/30's.  Oh well these things happen in poker don't they, not my night, just switch off and call it a day..........  Oh, no not me, full on tilt mode engaged I was determined to win back my losses and kept on loading up another re-match.

I think I managed to win 2 games from my new friend shane, but it's fair to say he did rather better out of the whole episode than I did.  I did manage to stop myself when my bankroll hit £90.00 but all in all a very sorry state of affairs!

So what have I learned from this experience???  Hmmmmm...... oh yeah shane1965 is a luckbox ;)  WP sir and sorry if I got a little wound up in chat, was all in good spitis really, I was trying to get you annoyed so you'd keep coming back, what a foolproof plan that turned out to be!

Anyway, a day or 2 off the pokerz now as I have meetings in the far flung wilds of Cumbria.  MTT's only for a while when I get back after this setback, stick with what I'm best at, and NO MORE TILTING!

On a more positive note, the diet is going well and no alcohol has past my lips!

Starting bankroll - £106.6
    Ending bankroll - £89.04

Some work to be done!
  • edited May 2013
    Well if you never drank after that your doin well, play a few DYMs you should hold your own in them.
  • edited May 2013

GL with your challenge Simon i reckon you'll do the poker one 1st not sure about the 3rd one ;);) tho as Meatloaf would say 2 outta 3 ain't bad 
  • edited May 2013
    Got a little time to play a couple of MTT's last night and managed small cashes in each to help the bankroll along.  I finished 10/156 runners in a £2.30 BH and 3/15 in a £1.10 £25gtd, although I did take the re-buy and add-on in that one so total investment was £3.30 which was technically outside of my bankroll management rules, that said I'm always more than happy to take 1 re-buy and 1 add on in a tournament if I fee I have an edge over the majority of the field.

Slykllist010£4.34 + £4.96 Head Prizes5
    Slykllist03£6.60
    Total profit from these was £10.30 which took me back up to £99.34.  My weak self-control then reared it's head again as I took myself off to the heads up sng tables and proceeding to try and throw it away again!  This time rather that £2.10 sng's I jumped straight in to much higher buyins, figuring I could get my money back faster that way (an eternal massive leak in my game!) and bought into a £15.75 HU turbo risking more than 15% of my entire bankroll!  Thankfully I managed to win this which actually took me well above the £110 mark that I had targeted a couple of days ago.  But of course this was still not enough so I bought into yet another game way outside my bankroll, this time an £11.00 HU turbo which didn't go so well, so of course I bought into another but just incase I wasn't making it risky enough I made this one a hyper (please don't try this at home kids!). Thankfully I managed to win this one and return to decent level of profit for the night so finished the night off with a quick £1.10 hyper as there was someone waiting in the lobby and promptly won that one too so all in all a good night but terrible discipline and highlighting massively the leak in my game that I'm trying to stamp out with this challenge!  Every day I gain more and more respect for GaryQQQ and the discipline he shows in his bankroll challenges.

03 May '13 at 01:42PokerHeads-Up (Hyper)£0.95£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History03 May '13 at 01:21PokerHeads-Up (Hyper)£9.50£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History03 May '13 at 01:16PokerHeads-Up (Turbo)£-10.50£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History03 May '13 at 01:04PokerHeads-Up (Turbo)£14.25£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History
    Starting Bankroll £89.04
    Current Bankroll £113.54

Going away for a long weekend with a group of friends from today so that will kill off the other 2 challenges, I will post a full update on all 3 next Monday.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the mention.

While it's good to see upward movement in your balance I have to point out that you're playing with fire at those stakes. No matter how well you play you'll still lose several HU matches in a row sometimes, everybody does, even the best of the best. You need to keep out of those games, it's a recipe for disaster.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Slyklling Weakly – my 3 headed personal challenge.:
    Thanks for the mention. While it's good to see upward movement in your balance I have to point out that you're playing with fire at those stakes. No matter how well you play you'll still lose several HU matches in a row sometimes, everybody does, even the best of the best. You need to keep out of those games, it's a recipe for disaster.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    +1 good advise.
  • edited May 2013
    Thanks for the mention. While it's good to see upward movement in your balance I have to point out that you're playing with fire at those stakes. No matter how well you play you'll still lose several HU matches in a row sometimes, everybody does, even the best of the best. You need to keep out of those games, it's a recipe for disaster.
    Posted by GaryQQQ
    Oh I know Gary, I've thrown away waaaaaaay too much money in this way before, that was the main reason for doing a bankroll challenge, to stop myself doing these stupid things!
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Slyklling Weakly – my 3 headed personal challenge. : Oh I know Gary, I've thrown away waaaaaaay too much money in this way before, that was the main reason for doing a bankroll challenge, to stop myself doing these stupid things!
    Posted by Slykllist
    in which case it isn't working, is it?
    I find it easier to ban myself from doing something than being careful with it. given your recent history you should immediately ban yourself from playing ANY HU game. If you don't want to burn yourself, stay away from the fire!
  • edited May 2013
    I know I'm very far from perfect and that by far the biggest leak in my game in tilt and specifically a lack of discipline.  By writing it down in it's gory detail here for myself and anybody else who reads it to see, the hope is that I can stamp it out as this aside, I'm a very profitable player.

I'll be back later with a full update.
  • edited May 2013
    Decent day at the pokerz today played 2 Holdem MTT's and cashed in both, a 1st and just finished 3rd in the £250 gtd speed re-buy.

Played a couple of the £1.10 Omaha MTT's that Tikay has been pushing and ran absolutely awful in those but all in all a good return for the day.

After failing to cash in all 3 DTD games last night, it's good to get back on track.

My C4P from last month was also paid today (only about £16.00) so I had a little bet on the horses which went as badly as most of my gambling endeavours do!

I'm struggling to find time to update on the other targets but will try over the next few days, suffice to say, NOT WELL!

Current bankroll - £161.53
  • edited May 2013
    Tonights results also mean that I am now rolled to play £3.30 MTT's, which is great news for me as I've always found these pretty profitiable.  I am also now rolled to play one table of NL4 so I'll be giving this a shot from time to time too.
  • edited May 2013
    Completely disobeyed my own BR rules again tonight, but only because Tikay was playing some 5/10 Omaha tables so I decided to have a go.

Really enjoyable time and played in a great spirit and unbelievably I even managed to make a bit of profit!  Really hope that Tikays efforts can manage to drum up a bit more interest in the game on the site, it really is great fun to play.

08 May '13 at 21:34PokerBromley.£7.65£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History08 May '13 at 21:02PokerLewisham.£1.52£0.00Poker AIR clientHand History
    Current bankroll - £174.43
  • edited May 2013
    Nice1 really good start to building your bankroll! Just in a week as well.

Fancy a few HU £1 turbo games? Best of 5
  • edited May 2013
    Nice1 really good start to building your bankroll! Just in a week as well. Fancy a few HU £1 turbo games? Best of 5
    Posted by LARSON7
    Bedtime for me I'm afraid, perhaps another time.