You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Call of the century

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This is the best call ever, i put him on total air was right, called all the way with pocket 3s. I had a few reads on opponent, i had to think on the river had he hut his ace, but the over bet on the river - if he had hut his ace, he would have been betting a lot smaller
lennox1950 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £6.27
lonesome Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £11.03
  Your hole cards

LARSON7 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.61
Santa Raise  £0.20 £0.38 £4.91
lennox1950 Fold     
lonesome Fold     
LARSON7 Call  £0.08 £0.46 £3.53
Flop

LARSON7 Check     
Santa Bet  £0.35 £0.81 £4.56
LARSON7 Call  £0.35 £1.16 £3.18
Turn

LARSON7 Check     
Santa Bet  £0.58 £1.74 £3.98
LARSON7 Call  £0.58 £2.32 £2.60
River

• A

LARSON7 Check     
Santa Bet  £2.32 £4.64 £1.66
LARSON7 Call  £2.32 £6.96 £0.28
Santa Show
  • Q

LARSON7 Show

LARSON7 Win Pair of 3s £6.43

Comments

• edited May 2013
    lol hardly ive made calls on king high :p
  • edited May 2013
    lol did you have a break off the tables today?
  • edited May 2013
    na did i heck played the main n the mini 
  • edited May 2013
    if A doesnt fall its just a standard station vs perceived range (Ax/Kx).  A hitting river makes it bit trickier though.  In honesty it probably falls more under stubborn uneccessary hero call than great. :) but well done.
  • edited May 2013
    I think you need to ask yourself about the villain's pre-flop min-3-betting range. I don't know anything about him but as a general guide I'd be thinking of big hands. If that's the case, then which hands do you beat by the river? Obviously you don't beat any of the overpairs and now you don't beat AK or AQ either.

Simply put, you have to give your opponent a very wide pre-flop 3-betting range for the call on the river to be profitable. If you do, you still have to think that by the river you beat 33% of that range. He's probably not betting full-pot with KK, QQ or any weak hands that have showdown value, so has he got air 33% of the time? I don't know but don't simply assume that because you won the hand, it was a good call. If it's a losing call in long-term EV, then it's a bad call.

Well done taking money from Santa. If I don't get my Scalextric this christmas, I'll know who to blame. :)
  • edited May 2013

He was a bit of a maniac/ tilting, he had just lost a big hand with effectively nothing.

His min reraise just looks weak, he has done this several times with less than nothing.

When he bets 3/4's on the flop i'm not 2 bothered.

On the turn he fired out really quickly, i was pretty confident he had nothing and 33s were still ahead.

When he bet so big on the river, at first i was going to fold, then it just didn't make sense such an overbet, so i felt ok calling. Clearly, normally i would never call 3 barrells with a pair of 3s, but his line just didnt make sense.

• edited May 2013
    nice call

an A is a pretty big % of a 3bettors range so you prob should fold, but you called AND won so wgas