You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Mini later stages

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
Ok so played the turbo mini on tuesday and was at the later stages and this hand has bugged me. Around 20 players left (i think 15-18). I'm sitting with an average stack of around 62k with blinds of 3k/6k. I've just moved tables, this is one of the first hands im dealt and have no experience of the villain who has folded pre in 2 hands before this one.
Small blind  3000.00 3000.00 144783.75
Big blind  6000.00 9000.00 72825.00
 Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Fold     
Fold     
jdsallstar Raise  15000.00 24000.00 47390.00
Fold     
VillainAll-in  144783.75 168783.75 0.00
xFold     
jdsallstar ???    
Is this an instant fold or call?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    u have 10 bigs with AQ shove pre
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Mini later stages:
    u have 10 bigs with AQ shove pre
    Posted by sighcall
    Cheers sigh for the response.

I know where you're coming from but blind stealing had become quite easy and I thought by raising (and not shoving) it took the risk out of getting into races, 60:40's or dominated but allowed me to pick up the now high blinds. As I say most stacks were in the 50-80k range so calling a 15k raise became a bust or double call. 

It would have took the decision away admittedly but felt if my raise was called or raised I would be beat - going by the how the previous table was playing.

having made the raise (and not shoved pre) like i did would you call the all in?
  • edited May 2013

Definitely call now. 

The only reason for raising like this instead of shoving is to get someone to shove with a wider range of hands than they would call a shove with (and then we snap call).

I prefer just shoving. 

As played easy call. Raise/folding AQ with 10 bigs is vvvv bad. 
  • edited May 2013
    AQ is not a blind stealing hand at this stage - it is a do or die hand

as played, as per DOHHHHHHHH's comment, it is a bet to induce a shove which you intend to call - particularly readless.

if you wanted to be more risk adverse then you shove - less likely to be called

anything else is a wasted opportunity - maybe could fold pre if on the bubble and min-cashing is important to you - but not now that you are in the money
  • edited May 2013
    You CANNOT avoid flips in the late stages of a turbo like this.
  • edited May 2013
    shove and shove a wider range if your thinking about min raising

min raise because u want shovers behind, only going to work if you been min raising a lot from co/btn

oppo behind most likely call with worse anyway

• edited May 2013
    AQ is a very strong hands and you're playing 10BB or so. You can beat some of your opponent's 3-betting range with these stacks and against most of the rest of his range, you're flipping. Even against KK, QQ and AK you have 30% equity and your pot odds are about 35%. As Matt and others have said and will say again; "You cannot avoid flips in the late stages..."

That said, whether to call or not shouldn't really be a consideration because you should be open-shoving. With 10BB stealing the blinds is a really good thing. You add 15% to your stack without a showdown and when you have a hand like AQ, you're likely to have very good equity when you are called.

This shallow you'll probably be called by a wider range when you open-shove than the range that will 3-bet you all-in. The idea of raising small to induce 3-bets from a wide range is reversed when everyone knows you can't fold. That's not an excuse to fold now, though.
  • edited May 2013
    ship it pre. as played it's not even a decision
  • edited May 2013
    cheers everyone for the responses. Kind of thought that was the responses I'd get.

I regretted it as soon as I folded and went out shortly after, finishing 9th in the end. Suppose i was hoping for some sort of justification for my decision from someone on here who thought folding was a good decision lol
  • edited May 2013
    U wot?!!!!

Ship your entire range pre!

V rare that we are contemplating r/f with anything with only 10bigs...
  • edited May 2013
    AQ with 10bb in a turbo - you can not fold unless you have 3 allins in front of you! Even then....

I disagree with those who say push allin pre as you made what seems like your standard 'steal' raise so with a premium hand you still want to make your normal raise and hope someone shoves and you should be snap calling with glee! If you do get a caller you still want to be going allin no matter what as if they where trapping then they would have been calling your allin anyway so you get an extra way of winning chips when they miss 2/3 times. Plus it gives more credance to your steal raises that when you raise you are willing to commit!