You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Just cant improve

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
can you improve in poker or do you just go round in circles and say 'varience' when things go wrong?

i just cant improve at cash game im so inconsistent and its annoying me now cause i spend alot of time on my game and i feel like i might well not have because it hasnt made me feel that much more confident.

I watch poker, read poker books and do at least an hour on a training site a day.

Iv had my best tournament results lately and made good profit, but its cash i want to do well in, i cant say patient and i play hands when i no i shouldnt.  I no alot about what to do , but i dont do it and i seem to bluff at the wrong time...always.

im sick of it whats the answer, should i just quit and say at least i made profit or what. its  annoying me so much cause im very determined to do well but im at a level i hate, and im still playing ****. :(

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Identify what your doing wroung, admit it's wroung and stop doing it
    Every poker player has leaks or fundamentals that are not correct - just a process of trying to eradicate them
    These leaks can be poker theory to the mental approach to the game, you just need to identify where it's going wroung.
    For example my biggest leak is tiredness, so I don't play when tired or try and identify when I am starting to lose focus because I am tired.

You may know the theory and apply it very well but lack certain mental aspects that will hold you back.

Build your game back up from the ground up, learn the basics again and put right what your doing wroung
    Sometimes we have to go back two steps to be able to move forward one

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Just cant improve:
    can you improve in poker or do you just go round in circles and say 'varience' when things go wrong? i just cant improve at cash game im so inconsistent and its annoying me now cause i spend alot of time on my game and i feel like i might well not have because it hasnt made me feel that much more confident. I watch poker, read poker books and do at least an hour on a training site a day. Iv had my best tournament results lately and made good profit, but its cash i want to do well in, i cant say patient and i play hands when i no i shouldnt.  I no alot about what to do , but i dont do it and i seem to bluff at the wrong time...always. im sick of it whats the answer, should i just quit and say at least i made profit or what. its  annoying me so much cause im very determined to do well but im at a level i hate, and im still playing ****. :(
    Posted by robbie1992
    How many tables u playing? Maybe add 1 or 2 more but patients is a big part of poker, but at least you,ve identified it so now you can try and fix it
  • edited May 2013
    i dont even no what it is, for instance i went to a 50 nl table and won cause it was a bigger gamble so i played better went back to a 20 nl table and called 3 streets with 2nd pair on paired board when i no i was losing, whats the sense in that?

i went to 3 tables and i kept losing, i wouldnt moan if i didnt try but i think i try hard and i dont see no improvement. I need somone whos better then me to sit next to me and say whats going wrong cause how am i meant to identify the mistakes? if i could do that i wouldnt be so bad to start with lol
  • edited May 2013
    i have lots of leaks everyday is a learning day i been playing for 8 years online and still learning alot has changed in 8 years of playing 
  • edited May 2013
    I no I understand its a hard game with alot of different areas to improve on, but it's so difficult to consistently improve. I just don't seem as aware as them I guess in hands, but where did they learn it from, I'm sure Iv covered hand reading, board textures and player styles but just doesn't seem to go in 
  • edited May 2013
    Robbie, I'm in a similar situation.

I'm lacking confidence in my game, in spite of knowing I have a reasonable understanding of the theory. I put that lack of confidence down to my personal life going catastrophically wrong in the last couple of years. When you're not feeling good about yourself, you shouldn't expect to feel good about your poker.

I hardly play anymore as a result and when I do play, I don't play well. I don't know if your frustration might also be due to other 'life' problems.

There are always technical elements we need to improve on, though. Alot of players reach a plateau in their performance when they can't improve by simply playing to the guidelines that they've learned. So many break even and small winning players still just play their hand and their position and don't really play their opponent. Being a winning player doesn't mean you're thinking about the game in the best way.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Just cant improve:
    i dont even no what it is, for instance i went to a 50 nl table and won cause it was a bigger gamble so i played better went back to a 20 nl table and called 3 streets with 2nd pair on paired board when i no i was losing, whats the sense in that? i went to 3 tables and i kept losing, i wouldnt moan if i didnt try but i think i try hard and i dont see no improvement. I need somone whos better then me to sit next to me and say whats going wrong cause how am i meant to identify the mistakes? if i could do that i wouldnt be so bad to start with lol
    Posted by robbie1992
    You identify your mistakes by learning, watching training vids - going onto strat forums - you gotta study - no one is just going to tell you the magical answers
    Poker is just not that simple!

Simply sounds like your not focused enough if at nl50 your playing better.

You don't just turn into a bad player, either it's a mental thing or your just running good at nl50 and it seems like your playing better. Or you have something fundamentaly wroung with your game and it really shows it self when your running neutral or even -EV.

I read an intresting arcticle where the reason you don't fold is because your curious.
    And it's human nature to be curious as this how we evolved our civilasations.

Basically you need to trust your poker instincts and fold rarther than letting your natural curiosity take over.

• edited May 2013
    I played you on 10/20 and tbh you got involved in loads of hands and you tilted once when your JJ got beat so i think you just lack concentration and i think you play so many hands pre flop without posistion.I think just play solid poker to your strength and your cash game will improve .Good luck Robbie
  • edited May 2013

My instinct, from how you have described your game, is that you need to improve your hand reading skills. (Could be wrong, obv).

You can get away with it in tournaments, to some extent, but because cash games are typically deeper, it becomes a more important part of the game.
    Also, if you are bluffing into bad spots, this may be because you aren't thinking through what your opponent could have (or their tendencies).
  • edited May 2013
    Are you telling a story with your bluffs? If you think you should have taken a pot down uncontested from your action, review those hands from the perspective of your opponent. From the action, what would you do. If the play isn't consistent you're more likely to get looked up (in other words, what are you repping, and does the play on all streets fit with this?).
  • edited May 2013
    PS notes will help, some people just won't lay it down. Note people may also be taking notes on you....

Best of luck.
  • edited May 2013
    My instinct, from how you have described your game, is that you need to improve your hand reading skills. (Could be wrong, obv). You can get away with it in tournaments, to some extent, but because cash games are typically deeper, it becomes a more important part of the game. Also, if you are bluffing into bad spots, this may be because you aren't thinking through what your opponent could have (or their tendencies).
    Posted by jakally
    I thought this aswell and did spend alot of time going over board textures, range of positions, tendencies, style etc and I watch at least 3 hours a week poker so not sure what else I can do.

I should stop moaning because alot of people are properly in the same position it's just very draining putting in effort and still not getting to where u want.
  • edited May 2013
    sounds like you are putting a little too much pressure on yourself to improve just relax and give it time to sink in all the new things you have learnt or still learning.

also me personally atm for last 2-3 weeks I have not been doing as good normally do so I have been taking more time looking at HH`s a day after I have played them and realising a lot of mistakes,but i`m now sending PMs to a sky reg and they are looking at my hands and saying if played hand perfect or butchered it then explains why in great detail  even if they are winning or losing hands it is defo helping me fix some leaks.

but keep chin up i`ve played you and you seemed a solid player.
  • edited May 2013
    sounds like you are putting a little too much pressure on yourself to improve just relax and give it time to sink in all the new things you have learnt or still learning. also me personally atm for last 2-3 weeks I have not been doing as good normally do so I have been taking more time looking at HH`s a day after I have played them and realising a lot of mistakes,but i`m now sending PMs to a sky reg and they are looking at my hands and saying if played hand perfect or butchered it then explains why in great detail  even if they are winning or losing hands it is defo helping me fix some leaks. but keep chin up i`ve played you and you seemed a solid player.
    Posted by liamboi11

Cheers Liam, 

Just wanna improve and move back up in the limits, ill keep going and try to sort out he mental side aswell lol

Sorry to hear about the downswing , is it just running bad?
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Just cant improve : Cheers Liam,  Just wanna improve and move back up in the limits, ill keep going and try to sort out he mental side aswell lol Sorry to hear about the downswing , is it just running bad?
    Posted by robbie1992
    sure you will move up soon just give it time play smaller stakes and fix the things you are doing wrong or minismise them at least.I started playin cash at 50nl but I sucked that was prob well over a year ago maybe 2yrs so bought cash game books read up online etc and played mainly cash for the last year anything from 4-40nl and feel i`ve came a long way from where I was at because I just played mainly mtts get lucky win few quid then jump on a cash table and blow it now its other way round win few bi`s at cash and lose it on mtts looking for a big bink funny old game poker but yeah give it time and you see your game improve along with your roll buddy.

also if struggling with the mental side buy or download the mental game of poker im just over half way through and it`s great.

and yeah wasn`t running that great but I most of it was me playing awful calling when I shouldn`t, bluffing in wrong spots, and not getting max value etc but I think it was 2 things mainly just not quittin when I knew I wasn`t playin my a-game anymore and tilting vs certain players but still managed a small profit last month so not too bad but will be hoping for a better month in may.

gl at tables