You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horriable river, what line is best?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
frankie700 Small blind  £0.10 £0.10 £23.28
splashies Big blind  £0.20 £0.30 £30.30
 Your hole cards
  • A

ashwatts Fold     
robbie1992 Raise  £0.60 £0.90 £25.36
xCall  £0.60 £1.50 £15.20
frankie700 Fold     
splashies Fold     
Flop

robbie1992 Bet  £1.13 £2.63 £24.23
xCall  £1.13 £3.76 £14.07
Turn

• A

robbie1992 Bet  £2.82 £6.58 £21.41
xCall  £2.82 £9.40 £11.25
River

• Q

robbie1992 Check     
xBet  £9.40 £18.80 £1.85

x     
Is this nearly always a flush, i think best line on river is small bet for value and fold to a raise.  His stack makes it akward to do that so whats a bettter line?

Comments

• edited May 2013
    I would not check the river it just entices a bet from him.Id bet 1/4 pot and fold to any raise.
  • edited May 2013
    b/f makes sense
    pot control and less likely he comes over the top if he doesn't have the flush
  • edited May 2013
    Yeah I like the 1/4 pot b/f, I think I have the best hand but the position I put myself in is bad so I folded as I was trying to be stricter
  • edited May 2013
    good discipline
    another advantage with leading out is you are more confident that he isn't bluffing and hence less wound up by folding
  • edited May 2013
    B/f at least 1/2 pot
  • edited May 2013
    Bet won't I be pot commited if I do that tho?
  • edited May 2013
    bet bigger ott & shove rivers
  • edited May 2013
    I think like Percival said I would be betting the turn big.

As played though i think bet fold is fine.
    As grantorino said, I would bet more though.
    1/4 pot will just be seen by most players as a hugely defensive bet and I think would be the green light for me to raise you with or without the hand you fear.
  • edited May 2013
    I think the main reason not to bet as small as 1/4 pot on the river is that when we bet 1/2 pot or more worse hands can still call us and better hands will still raise. It's not too likely that we're going to be bluffed but we miss value from all those weaker hands that can call that bigger bet.

We're not pot-committed against the opponent's river raising range when we bet half-pot if we also assume that he's never raising weaker hands for value. If we bet half-pot and our opponent shoves we'd be looking at needing to call £6.55 to win £25.35 in the middle. Pot odds of about 20%.

So if we don't beat 20% of the hands that our opponent shoves the river with we shouldn't be calling.

The idea of being pot-committed is far more applicable to tournament play where you can't top-up your stack. In cash poker, the amount you have in front of you isn't the finite amount you're playing with. So if you don't think you're getting the right price to put in your last few pounds, there's no real reason to do so.