You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

O-PTP is back.......

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat

Play The Presenter is back.

In this particular case, it is "Play the Analyst" actually, but PTA might confuse us with schools & teachers.

So, PTP, but to start with it will be OMAHA.

O-PTP it is, then.  

Comments

• edited May 2013

We will start next Wednesday, May 8th, & hope to run for about a month.

For now, it will be PLO, as in "Pot Limit Omaha".

Three levels of cash, (subject to interest & demand) being....

£0.05 - £0.10

£0.10 - £0.20

£0.25 - £0.50

• edited May 2013

Each week, I'll also award a few Omaha Tourney entries.

To qualify, you'll need to write a Post after the session.

It can be whatever you want - explaining what you enjoyed, learned, lost, stacked me, won, how, what, or even a good question, or tip, about Omaha.

I'll stick a thread up nearer the day, with more details.

Here's a starter question about Omaha for you. No prizes, just to get some buzz going.
  • edited May 2013

My first thoughts on O-PTP....

• edited May 2013

What has this man got to do with Omaha?

• edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: O-PTP is back.......:
    My first thoughts on O-PTP....
    Posted by TommyD
    You are hereby DISQUALIFIED.
  • edited May 2013
    What has this man got to do with Omaha?
    Posted by Tikay10
    Would that be Mr Buffet who is based in Omaha?
  • edited May 2013
    Is that Colonel Saunders after selling his special chicken recipe?
  • edited May 2013

Is it an image of a much younger version of Tikay and what Sky Poker thinks when he is on PTP?
  • edited May 2013
    I'm glad play the presenter is back. I enjoyed Richard's timed tourney challenge... but I'm not so glad that it's omaha.

Any chance you might think about getting involved in a cheapo PLO tourney so Omaha n00bs like me can learn from you, Tikay? Sitting at a cash table sounds expensive when you don't know what you're doing.
  • edited May 2013
    Is that Colonel Saunders after selling his special chicken recipe?
    Posted by TommyD
    Who is Colonel Saunders?

Unless you mean Sanders! :)
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: O-PTP is back....... : Who is Colonel Saunders? Unless you mean Sanders! :)
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    No I mean Colonel Saunders, the first man to cross Chicken with Horse and mass market the meat, called Hoken, to a variety of fast food restaurants, supermarkets and burger vans around the lay-bys of the UK.

Colonel Sanders?  Don't be silly, the picture doesn't look a thing like him.  Silly Sky Poker....
  • edited May 2013
    I'm glad play the presenter is back. I enjoyed Richard's timed tourney challenge... but I'm not so glad that it's omaha. Any chance you might think about getting involved in a cheapo PLO tourney so Omaha n00bs like me can learn from you, Tikay? Sitting at a cash table sounds expensive when you don't know what you're doing.
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Fair comment.

If you & a few others are up for it, we'll have an unofficial PTP on Tuesday evening, just low-stakes Tourneys &/or SNG's. That work for you?

Please note TommyD is to be discouraged. Calls with anything.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: O-PTP is back....... : Fair comment. If you & a few others are up for it, we'll have an unofficial PTP on Tuesday evening, just low-stakes Tourneys &/or SNG's. That work for you? Please note TommyD is to be discouraged. Calls with anything.
    Posted by Tikay10
    I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It was good.

BTW on Borin's point, if you want to double down on the PLO tip, I'd be willing to sit in for a few micro STTs/MTTs with the chat open on Tuesday night and go through any questions or thoughts people have about the game.  I've been known to be dealt four cards once or twice in the past.

Just don't put me on Tikay's table.  In advance of this not being possible I will once again say:

It was good.
  • edited May 2013
    Aye, Tuesday night sounds like a good plan. I'll see you chaps there. I'll be the one randomly pressing buttons and hoping it all works out somehow. :)
  • edited May 2013

It was a shocking call, proper awful. 3 flush indeed.

Seriously Tommy, if you are around Tuesday &/or Wednesday, any help would be appreciated.,

Just don't call me, as they say....
  • edited May 2013
    It was a shocking call, proper awful. 3 flush indeed. Seriously Tommy, if you are around Tuesday &/or Wednesday, any help would be appreciated., Just don't call me , as they say....
    Posted by Tikay10
    Anyone would think you'd cashed in a bracelet event or something! Oh wait....
  • edited May 2013
    Tuesday night for plo mtt/sng sounds fun.
    mr dyson in attendance or not
    might last a little longer than in the nlo the other night
    where I didn't have a clue on bet sizing.
  • edited May 2013
    i love free money :)
  • edited May 2013
    looks like des lynam :)
  • edited May 2013
    this is brilliant news ive just started trying to play Omaha, with mixed success, im a bit irked there are ZERO low stakes hi lo sng games :( why is this teeks?

like i said im still a novice and usually hate cash tables but will give it a go, the thought of playing orford at hi lo is positively mouth watering I cant lie

no idea about the picture, as the guy is awake it cant be teeks
  • edited May 2013
    this is brilliant news ive just started trying to play Omaha, with mixed success, im a bit irked there are ZERO low stakes hi lo sng games :( why is this teeks? like i said im still a novice and usually hate cash tables but will give it a go, the thought of playing orford at hi lo is positively mouth watering I cant lie no idea about the picture, as the guy is awake it cant be teeks
    Posted by Janana
    Hi Janana.

Bad news I am afraid - Orford is NOT scheduled to do Omaha or PLO8 (Hi-Lo) PTP.

Good news - arguably - is it is my gig.

Why no low stakes PLO8? Don't really know, but there's always a reason for these things. I think they go down to £2.20 though.

See you next Tuesday, we'll have a little fun, I'm sure.

If you have ANY questions on Omaha, or PLO8, please don't hesitate to ask. Loads of Omaha regulars who know what they are doing will always be pleased to help, or in their absence, TommyD may offer some advice. (Ignore, imo). 

Terminology - the correct name for "Hi-Low Omaha" is "Pot Limit, 8 or better", usually abbreviated to "PLO8". We'll soon have you cooking on Omaha gas.   

• edited May 2013

The picture I Posted on Page 1 of the thread was, as correctly idfentified by Vespa, the world's greatest businessman, Warren Buffett.

He runs, & has control of Berkshire Hathaway. Their shares closed at $162,650 EACH yesterday.

Mr Buffett is a lifelong resident of a town named Omaha, in Nebraska, & his offices are there, too. He still lives in the same house he has lived in for 40 years.

Very wise man, hence he is known as "The Sage of Omaha". In fact he does not play Omaha, thouigh he has been known to dabble at Texas Hold Em. In card games, his first love is Bridge, at which he is most proficient.

In business, Warren believes in playing the long-term game. He once famously said.....

Someone's sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago.

That is sheer genius. Simple, but oh so true, in life as in poker. Do the spadework today & tomorrow you will enjoy the fruits of that labour.  

• edited May 2013
    Tuesday night for plo mtt/sng sounds fun. mr dyson in attendance or not might last a little longer than in the nlo the other night where I didn't have a clue on bet sizing.
    Posted by GELDY
    Hi Geldy.

My very strong advice would be that if you are new to Omaha, do NOT play No Limit Omaha.

Omaha is a game which very much lends itself, in the main, to Pot Limit, or even Limit, but in my personal opinion, for a newbie, NOT "No Limit".

It is an achingly beautiful, clever & satisfying game, but it was not designed to be played as No Limit, & really it takes away the guile, cunning & sheer beauty of it.

Not saying it is bad, or wrong, but for a newbie, my advice is NEVER play NLO. Very few do, anyway.

• edited May 2013
    Orford is NOT scheduled to do Omaha or PLO8 (Hi-Lo) PTP. Good news - arguably - is it is my gig. Why no low stakes PLO8? Don't really know, but there's always a reason for these things. I think they go down to £2.20 though.
    Now thats a real shame, what a draw that would have been, surefire way to get ppl playing if Rich was there, the thought of playing Rutter or Spittles or Lee or the formiddable Kendall is the other end of the scale but no worries it will be fun :)

The 60p/1.10 PLO games are quite popular but lowest PLO8 goes is like u say 2.20, just would be nice to have a micro stake option for ppl to play for their first times. The tournaments have attracted more interest in the games but im not sure its been supported as well as it could have been with such things.

Brag post - after posting yesterday i entered the 100gtd PLO8 20:25 tourney for the 2nd time, and i must be a quick learner cos after my initial deep run i did even better and came 2/26, at times i really stuggled but just the little tidbits ive gained from SPTV were enough for me to make a good cash :) HU i had no clue about ..... well anything lol thanks teeks cya tuesday
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: O-PTP is back....... : Hi Geldy. My very strong advice would be that if you are new to Omaha, do NOT play No Limit Omaha.   Omaha is a game which very much lends itself, in the main, to Pot Limit, or even Limit, but in my personal opinion, for a newbie, NOT "No Limit".   It is an achingly beautiful, clever & satisfying game, but it was not designed to be played as No Limit, & really it takes away the guile, cunning & sheer beauty of it.   Not saying it is bad, or wrong, but for a newbie, my advice is NEVER play NLO. Very few do, anyway.
    Posted by Tikay10
    oh i agree - it is just that the sky promo omaha mtt was nlo - which i only realised once i started playing it (when i wanted to pot it and i was given the option of all in!)

i do play a bit of plo8, and make money at it, but i gave up playing pure omaha  when i discovered plo8. thought i would use the opportunity of the sky promos and seeing the masters play as a way to get back into it.
  • edited May 2013
    Would've very much liked to be a part of this but alas I am backshift, gutted :(

Good luck to all taking part, its a great game and plenty of fun should be had.
  • edited May 2013
    Would've very much liked to be a part of this but alas I am backshift, gutted :( Good luck to all taking part, its a great game and plenty of fun should be had.
    Posted by Dagnamit
    I really enjoyed that little PLO8 Tourney just now!

An hour of fun for £1.10, & a bit of profit. Perfect, & well played you, too.
  • edited May 2013
    An hour of fun for £1.10
    Posted by Tikay10
    hmmm - only lasted 15 mins when i played the other day - guess i'm looking forward to the plo8 advice as well
  • edited May 2013

Ha, sorry GELDY, that was in reply to Dagnamit, who finished 3rd in the PLO8 Tourney this afternoon.

You'll be just fine, & there'll be a PLO Q & A thread to go with PTP Omaha evenings which will be the next 4 Wednesdays. 

I'm also going to try & play (not as part of PTP, but on my own back, so to speak) some PLO8 on Tuesday Evenings, & we can do a Q & A thread for that, too.   
  • edited May 2013
    Repost from my diary regarding some fun and games tomorrow:

Please post up what sort of Omaha people want to try out tomorrow.  PLO or PLO8 (lesson one, these two games are as similar as Draughts and Chess, you really need to understand this).  I'll play as low as anyone wants, and either cash or tournaments.  I know Tikay will be doing similar and he's a great person to learn the game from, but for the overspill and to help him out, I'll be on different tables and might have his open to help with some questions if he gets inundated.  I hope you all enjoy it, it's a wonderful game.  PLO8 is probably my second favourite variant (behind Badugi).  Let's have us some fun.