You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

the numpty call

edited December 2009 in Poker Chat
 I had to go with option 4 for this one. I do not believe it was a numpty call but i think it was marginal. The guys hand ranges for shoving were immense so there was a good chance of being ahead. The only question in my is could you have found a better spot to risk your tournament.

It was shown a little bit later that he would shove preflop with virtually any 2 suited cards so your call could so easily have been good. I think you just got unlucky against a real chancer and you should not let it worry you

Comments

• edited December 2009
    PN Small blind   150.00 150.00 8810.00
    IR Big blind   300.00 450.00 3212.50
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • Q

acetenolol Raise   900.00 1350.00 6840.00
    s All-in   9177.50 10527.50 0.00
    d4 Fold        
    l06 Fold        
    PIAN Fold        
    IRER Fold        
    acetenolol All-in   6840.00 17367.50 0.00
    d
    Unmatched bet   1437.50 15930.00 1437.50
    acetenolol Show
    • K
    • Q

nnnn
    Show
    • A

Flop

• K

Turn

• J

River

• A

kk
    Win

Pair of Aces 15930.00

The guy on my left had gone all in 8 times everytime i raised i couldnt get nothing through him was I a numpty for calling him with king queen??

• edited December 2009
    as infuriating as it is when someone keeps shoving, i'd still be folding there.  If they have any two cards, chances are you are only a slight favourite to win the hand, and while the odds make a call correct mathematically, I wouldnt want to risk my tournament in this situation.

With a really loose player, you want to wait for a massive hand and let them hang themselves in that spot.
  • edited December 2009
    You would have still had 23 big blinds left, it's frustrating when someone keeps re-raising when you have marginal hands but part of the game is learning how to adapt to different opponents, I'd be folding the KQ, with only 900 invested and 6840 back, I feel you still have time to get a big hand before you get down to 10-12 big blinds. 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: the numpty call:
    You would have still had 23 big blinds left, it's frustrating when someone keeps re-raising when you have marginal hands but part of the game is learning how to adapt to different opponents, I'd be folding the KQ, with only 900 invested and 6840 back, I feel you still have time to get a big hand before you get down to 10-12 big blinds. 
    Posted by Kevilfish
    You are absolutly right i believe but in the context of the table it was just too tempting, also I note the guy who replaced my seat also called an all in from him them losing that hand but went on to go heads up in the torny so I still think its was  marginal but just a bit too marginal.
  • edited December 2009
    Hi Aceten, Its a bad call in my opinion

Why?, because surely you want to outplay this guy, and trap him with a monster etc..

Why risk it all on a coin flip at best? You had over 20bbs left. You were gambling by calling.

Its often tempting to call these hyper agressive players, but thats what they want, they are gamblers and cannot play poker (i.e play down the streets) so they leave it to chance.

So sadly option 3 for me, but i mean no offence.

Also, please remove the villians name, thanks
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: the numpty call:
    Hi Aceten, Its a bad call in my opinion Why?, because surely you want to outplay this guy, and trap him with a monster etc.. Why risk it all on a coin flip at best? You had over 20bbs left. You were gambling by calling. Its often tempting to call these hyper agressive players, but thats what they want, they are gamblers and cannot play poker (i.e play down the streets) so they leave it to chance. So sadly option 3 for me, but i mean no offence. Also, please remove the villians name, thanks
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    All names have been removed or changed so as they cannot be recognised where is the name or are you talking about me?

Also the conventional route is not always correct for example firing every penalty straight down the middle?
  • edited December 2009
    sorry but it was a bad call, you are underdog to any pair and are dominated by AK, AQ, KK or QQ. you are even slightly behind to any ace rag i think. if i see someone shoving frequently in these situations they are usually doing it with any pocket pair or ace rag.
  • edited December 2009
    its a great call if you want to play bingo poker, call off 3/4 of your stack with king high..well played.....
  • edited December 2009
    I have to agree that it's a bad call. I'm not saying i've never made the SAME call but i always know it's bad when i've done it lol !!

When i do something like this it is always in those situations where a guy has got you a bit steaming and you just don't beleive he's got anything. It's tilt i'm affraid from being re-raised constantly.

If you know that he's not going to let your raise go through irrelevent of his own holding then i'd prefer to just slam it in Pre- Flop rather than make the 3x raise. It takes the decision away from you. He has to then call off his tourney with a mediocre ace rather than push to get you to fold (which from your post seems to be what your saying you have done until this point)