You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tournament Bankroll Management Question

edited May 2013 in Poker Chat
Bankroll management has never been a strong point of mine.
I was going to play the £150 at DTD yesterday but things got in the way and i didn't make it.

It did get me thinking though.
The £150 has returned after a break and DTD say it is designed to give the more recreational player an affordable buy in, in a well structured event.
It is a great tournament but...affordable?
Let's say 100 buy ins is thought of as a standard amount required for MTT'S.
With juice, this requires us to have a bankroll of £16800.
I wish i could say that i did have that kind of bankroll, but i'm afraid i don't. I wonder how many of the large field who played in this would play  if they were sticking to the 100 buy in rule.

Let's suppose not everyone is rolled to play these competitions.
What do we do?
A - Try and sat in to these events?
B - Take the odd shot but generally play the smaller comps?
C - Play and be largely under rolled but hope to bink one soon enough?
D - Look to get staked for something like 50%?

At the moment i would be B.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited May 2013
  • edited May 2013
    i think b is fine, i use the 100 buy in rule now but thats only because i have almost gone busto twice in the past, i take the odd shot though still in the $330 tournaments on the big site. its like going to the gym and sticking to a healthy diet but treating yourself to the odd full english now and again as a treat!!!
  • edited May 2013
    for a rec player i think it is good enough to play from your winnings. so if you have won £150 recently feel free to use it to buyin to something you fancy playing.

i did the same recently and binked x,000s

but even if i hadn't i would have been pleased for the opportunity to play, which was based on winning the buyin over the previous two weeks.
    lucky us rec players don't have to use correct brm.

• edited May 2013
    There's no harm popping it up and taking one or two shots without 100x buy-in. If you were regularly playing those stakes then it makes sense, really BRM is there to guard against variance and if you play only 3 of these a year say then max loss or effective amount at risk can be worked into your ordinary roll.
  • edited May 2013

BRM is always an interesting one for me, and it has never been an area of strength for me. I think it varies on your status and views on risk. If you are a rec player who is happy to reload from time to time then you can be a bit more aggressive. If you are a full time player then you need to be a lot more conservative.

I also think it depends on how often you are taking these shots, what value you see in these comps and how profitable a player you are. If you have been on a winning run and want to "invest" some of it in a larger comp (and its not too big a % of your roll) then I think that's fine.

You might improve your game by experiencing a larger buy in tournament/bink the tournament and get a big win/see it as a reward for putting in a big grind over a period of time.

If sats are good value then you should always play even if you are rolled for the target comp.

Anyway, enough rambling...in response to the original options
    A - I would be doing this anyway
    B - I like this option
    C - Not a fan of this
    D - This depends on how often we are playing these comps, our ability to get staked and what % of our roll this is. Depending on the % of our roll, I would maybe prefer getting a long term deal where backer stumps up all of the money rather than selling individual events