You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

tikay why i sometimes limp in early position with rag aces

i mostly do this for pot control, intending to fold to big reraises (depending on player). i feel if i raise and get flat called behind i am committed to cbetting if an ace flops, which would be more as the pot is bigger, and so forth down the streets as bigger aces tend to flat call me, so i think if i limp and check my flopped ace and there aint much action behind me i am far more confident my ace is winning on turn and noone puts me on an ace when i bet the turn, if sum1 else is slow playing an ace then at least ive missed a round of betting. as my bets are potsize related my losses i feel will be at a minimum

Comments

• edited December 2009
    limping with 72o is also good for pot control IMO
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: tikay why i sometimes limp in early position with rag aces:
    limping with 72o is also good for pot control IMO
    Posted by scotty77
    72 off is a hand 4 making a move with which is something i aint prepared to do in early position, on the button or cut off any 2 will do imo
  • edited December 2009
    Pot controlled.

wp.

Seriously though?

no.
  • edited December 2009
    Pot controlled. wp. Seriously though? no.
    Posted by LadyFingrs
    every poker player has to make moves sometimes, if the situation is correct and u can bluff sum1 from the button with 72 o and show it can give u a pschychological edge, u then adjust ur play accordingly, if it goes wrong just reload
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: tikay why i sometimes limp in early position with rag aces : 72 off is a hand 4 making a move with which is something i aint prepared to do in early position, on the button or cut off any 2 will do imo
    Posted by nakamura25
    LOL......serious?!?
  • edited December 2009
    bad play m8 i dont play rags in early position
  • edited December 2009
    Only gonna get ya in trouble. Although on second thought you will most likely hit your 2/3/4 against AK so keep going.
  • edited December 2009
    not profitable, not good for the redline.

unless this is a joke thread in wich case hahaha
  • edited December 2009
    by rag i mean a6 to aj dont plat below 6
  • edited December 2009
      Ace rag is easy to play, you have 2 options raise or fold. In early position i say just fold but inlate position either option is good. The other thing to think about is if you will fold to a raise why are you putting chips into the pot in the first place and making it more inviting for a squeezeplay
  • edited December 2009
      Ace rag is easy to play, you have 2 options raise or fold. In early position i say just fold but inlate position either option is good. The other thing to think about is if you will fold to a raise why are you putting chips into the pot in the first place and making it more inviting for a squeezeplay
    Posted by Talon
    These should be your only options with any 2 cards in an unopened pot. Openlimping is terrible.
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by nakamura25
    most would disagree, when you posted a thread about ace rag i thought you mean Ace 2, through to Ace 8 ish

• edited December 2009
    another thread i cannot believe exists, funny though made me chuckle
  • edited December 2009
    lol if aj is  ace rag then aq is medium ace?
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by nakamura25
    the only time i limp early position is with small pairs such as AA KK, i always raise with 22-66 and muck QQ anything sooooted i just raise allin because they are the nuts
  • edited December 2009

I don't think that when you are first to enter a pot, pot control should be on your mind.
    First bet pre flop is far too early to be worrying about keeping the pot small, just fold it?

DOHH
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by Talon
    On ... the ... money!
  • edited December 2009
    Posted by nakamura25

lol @ OP trying to save himself some embarrassment

• edited December 2009
    it would appear this is a weakness in my game and as i have only been playing 10 months am sure i have plenty more. i cant agree with raising though in the hope evryone folds, stealing blinds in a cash game doesnt really seem worth the risk to me, usually  at the level i play someone always calls, my experience tells me betting out of position with a bad hand is not  good idea cause if u slow down it is seen as weakness, thanks for the advice of all replies that were constructive
  • edited December 2009
    it would appear this is a weakness in my game and as i have only been playing 10 months am sure i have plenty more. i cant agree with raising though in the hope evryone folds, stealing blinds in a cash game doesnt really seem worth the risk to me, usually  at the level i play someone always calls, my experience tells me betting out of position with a bad hand is not  good idea cause if u slow down it is seen as weakness, thanks for the advice of all replies that were constructive
    Posted by nakamura25
    You kind of have it summed up in that statement, Don't Bet It In Early Position........... In Fact DON'T PLAY IT in early position, or if your going to then you have to raise, the call is just awful and you can get raised by the button with any 2
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to Re: tikay why i sometimes limp in early position with rag aces : These should be your only options with any 2 cards in an unopened pot. Openlimping is terrible.
    Posted by offshoot
    Not with 74 suited, then its pure craftsmanship, so neh-neh, neh, neh-neh!

;-)
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to tikay why i sometimes limp in early position with rag aces:
    i mostly do this for pot control, intending to fold to big reraises (depending on player). i feel if i raise and get flat called behind i am committed to cbetting if an ace flops, which would be more as the pot is bigger, and so forth down the streets as bigger aces tend to flat call me, so i think if i limp and check my flopped ace and there aint much action behind me i am far more confident my ace is winning on turn and noone puts me on an ace when i bet the turn, if sum1 else is slow playing an ace then at least ive missed a round of betting. as my bets are potsize related my losses i feel will be at a minimum
    Posted by nakamura25

Is a pair of aces the best hand you hope for? You make no allowance for anyone else behind you hitting anything bigger than a pair with 4 community cards out. 
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to tikay why i sometimes limp in early position with rag aces:
    Posted by nakamura25
    never limp with any kind of ace. push every time, and all in when short stacked with big blinds SIMPLE
  • edited December 2009
    in the early stages of a tourney i will happily raise with it and then act accordingly if there is aflop. Its around the bubble im having trouble. IF i flat call, im letting the blinds in for freeand i dont want to do that.If i raise 3x or so and get re raised im probably behind and have to fold. And if i push all in im usually called by a better hand.Any advice welcome           
  • edited December 2009
    In Response to BUTTON PLAY with JACK 10 and similar:
    in the early stages of a tourney i will happily raise with it and then act accordingly if there is aflop. Its around the bubble im having trouble. IF i flat call, im letting the blinds in for freeand i dont want to do that.If i raise 3x or so and get re raised im probably behind and have to fold. And if i push all in im usually called by a better hand.Any advice welcome           
    Posted by THEOCALOT
    The only advice is if your going to play raggy aces then do it in position and raise. If your raising from the button, into the blinds on a 6 handed table in a tourny then you have a good chance that your ace is in front of any 2 random hands. Your right if you go all in and get called it will be by a better hand. There's not a lot you can do about that, sometimes you'll run into a hand. If your raising and have to put it down then so be it, you got caught stealing. If your constantly being re-raised by the same player and having to lay down then you have to pop it all in pre and give them the decision.
  • edited December 2009
    OP:

If you've been playing 10 months you've played just as long as me. Go watch some beginners instructional poker videos that explain the basic concepts of how to play winning poker and you will see things in a whole new light. And hopefully raise your level of thinking (Google 'poker levels of thinking')

For a start, you don't want to enter a pot with the mindframe "I'd like to see this pot cheaply". This mindset is that of a losing player (in unopened pots).

You want to be thinking "I don't want my opponent to see the flop cheaply, so I will raise", hopefully bringing you headsup.

Under ANY circumstance - Always play Arag with caution.
  • edited December 2009
    easy choice dont play ace rag ep! its jsut gets u in trouble i wouldnt even bother wasting 1p on limping in with ace rag!
  • edited December 2009
    Why was tikays name in the title of this thread btw?