You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

A 8 Bad Play, got lucky

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic
This hand here, i know to look at it might look pretty bad. But i had a read on opponent, he can raise pretty light. So i don't mind calling. I know it can be 3 bet, but generally it doesn't happen at 4nl unless it's monsters, so i'm quite happy calling. When short stack goes all in another 10/20p a juicy pot is brewing, i dont feel i can fold.

When the flop comes down J Q 8, i have a bit of this board, when i'm bet into it is such a weak bet, i might even think i am good here. On the turn when the 28p comes in its 28p to win £1.70 plus. Once this bet comes in, i'm kinda rectified to the fact im behind but if i hit the river i am getting called.

When i hit 2 pair, i open shove because i am pretty convinced opponent is calling (reads) and i'm pretty sure i am ahead here enough of the time for this to be profitable.

Is my logic ok here? Or is it way off?
LARSON7 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £4.36
Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £0.34
  Your hole cards
  • A

TOD19 Fold     
xCall  £0.04 £0.10 £17.89
Raise  £0.16 £0.26 £2.95
LARSON7 Call  £0.14 £0.40 £4.22
All-in  £0.34 £0.74 £0.00
FoldFold     
xCall  £0.22 £0.96 £2.73
LARSON7 Call  £0.22 £1.18 £4.00
Flop

• J
  • Q

LARSON7 Check     
xBet  £0.08 £1.26 £2.65
LARSON7 Call  £0.08 £1.34 £3.92
Turn

LARSON7 Check     
Bet  £0.28 £1.62 £2.37
LARSON7 Call  £0.28 £1.90 £3.64
River

• A

LARSON7 All-in  £3.64 £5.54 £0.00
xAll-in  £2.37 £7.91 £0.00
LARSON7 Unmatched bet  £1.27 £6.64 £1.27
LARSON7 Show
  • A

Show
  • Q

Show
  • Q
  • J

LARSON7 Win Two Pairs, Aces and 8s £6.14

Comments

• edited May 2013
    It's all way off until the river, where donk shoving can't be bad. 

"When short stack goes all in another 10/20p a juicy pot is brewing, i dont feel i can fold.

When the flop comes down J Q 8, i have a bit of this board, when i'm bet into it is such a weak bet, i might even think i am good here. On the turn when the 28p comes in its 28p to win £1.70 plus."

Just fold pre, it's a really horrid hand. 

You're trying to convince yourslf that taking a weak/loose/passive line throughout the hand with a poor holding is a good thing when really you're just burning money. 

You got very lucky on the river, which saved you. Most of the tim you'll have just donated in this hand tho. 

Play tighter and more aggressive. 
  • edited May 2013

Cheers Dohhhhh, brilliant answer, thanks for the response.

• edited May 2013
    np, just b4 people jump in, the call on the flop getting that price as played pre flop, is fine. 

The turn is probably time to give up. 

Was trying to give more general advice about playing a more tight aggressive style overall and trying to avoid getting involved in these kinda hands. 

Credit for the river bomb though, when we can get paid so easily by betting big when we have a big hand, there's really no need to mess around calling 8p bets with weak 3rd pair type hands hoping to catch dirty 5 outrs ;)

gl!

• edited May 2013
    I was thinking, i didn't know the exact odds but i thought i was getting a good price to see the river, and was goin to fold the river if my hand didn't improve.

To call the river it's about 17% of the pot. And im maybe getting 12% to hit my card. I can't be 100% could be  however i felt if i hut chances were i was winning.

That was my thinking with the turn bet, if he bets any bigger i'm away.
  • edited May 2013
    3bet/fold pre

fold turn

don't really mind river, was going to say I doubt they'd call with worse, but yeah you proved me wrong
  • edited May 2013
    I don't hate the call pre but you need a plan for postflop to make it profitable. In general I prefer 3b or fold though

Flop ok

Turn marginal, an ace isn't exactly a clean out and he has sets sometimes. I'd lean towards folding, don't think call is terrible though as you will make enough when you hit, but it's how much you lose on a dirty out is the prob

I don't like the massiveriver donk, he has the one hand you beat which might call unless he's a complete donk