You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Playing AK, thoughts?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Was just looking for some feedback on this hand. I played it a bit passive due to the fact opponent never re-reaised but was quite happy calling down. So it really what had to put him on a range of hands.

When the board pairs on the turn, realistically oppo could be sitting with a 9, so i took the cautious line for a bit of pot control.

After the check on the turn, i'm pretty sure i have the best hand on the river. I put in a half pot bet on the river for value, i guess i should be betting a lot more here for value? I would appreciated any feedback on how this played out on the flop, turn and river.

I've never played against opponent before, so only reads were from playing him for a short while. Seemed quite a steady cautious player.

goose111 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.91
LARSON7 Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £7.11
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • A

COBWEBSJ Call  £0.04 £0.10 £2.70
TOD19 Fold     
Call  £0.04 £0.14 £18.42
goose111 Fold     
LARSON7 Raise  £0.16 £0.30 £6.95
COBWEBSJ Fold     
xCall  £0.16 £0.46 £18.26
Flop

• A

LARSON7 Bet  £0.35 £0.81 £6.60
xCall  £0.35 £1.16 £17.91
Turn

LARSON7 Check     
xCheck     
River

• K

LARSON7 Bet  £0.58 £1.74 £6.02
Call  £0.58 £2.32 £17.33
LARSON7 Show
  • K
  • A

xMuck
  • A

LARSON7 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Kings £2.14  

Comments

• edited May 2013
    9 is a great card for you - bet big

don't be passive bet fold is your friend

• edited May 2013

On the turn bet maybe 70pence odds?

If i'm reraised big just fold it?

• edited May 2013
    This is effectively you throwing like 3 pounds down a drain for the crack. Bet turn & river pretty big

• edited May 2013
    Normally i would haha i was just shittin myself after i seen this guy playing aces so passively.
  • edited May 2013
    In Response to Re: Playing AK, thoughts?:
    On the turn bet maybe 70pence odds? If i'm reraised big just fold it?
    Posted by LARSON7
    it's nl4 they call a lot - bet as much as you can - 3/4 pot or more

if they raise at nl4 then you can safley fold unless they are over valueing or a maniac

• edited May 2013
    FWIW I'd be raising more pre in this hand. You are oop vs two limpers. You are likely to get called by both, certainly one of them and you have a very good hand.

Once you flop the ace you should assume you have the best hand so your flop bet is good.

As rancid said the turn is a good card for you, here's why. If the villian has an ace then his hand doesn't change and he will still call you, if they have a nine then they are almost certainly going to raise the turn since you are repping an ace so hard. Therefore bet-fold about 80p on the turn.

The king on the river doesn't really change much even though you absolute hand value improves. If they have an ace you are still winning and if they have a nine you are still behind. Bet-fold again on the river about 60-70% of pot.

People often think poker is about bluffing but actually it's about value betting: Getting the most money in the pot when you have the best hand. When you bet fold the river with top pair you may feel like you are been bluffed, but most of the time you will be called by a worse hand or raised by the nuts. You are getting money in for the times you have the best hand, while denying you opponent that possibility.

At NL4 when you flop top pair, bet bet bet and fold to a raise.
  • edited May 2013
    B/f turn big v villain as described

Bet river bigger