You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

2 loose?

edited May 2013 in The Poker Clinic

Most importantly of all, it should be "Too Loose?" with two 'o's. :)

Ok, ill change it:D

Comments

• edited May 2013

I get a lot of stick for being to loose!

I guess i'll get the same here lol I am in position just before UTG, so raise it up 3 x, and am re raised, to 5x bb total, so the raise is weak, I call.

On the flop board pairs but i have the nut flush draw. I am putting opponent on a decentish enough hand. Could be pocket queens, but if it is good luck to him.

When i hit my flush on the turn, i check raise. It's quite a hefty raise, maybe 2 much so. And the river is just an easy all in for what I have behind. Is it to loose to play this type of hand late on?

Smith8 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £2.96
    soundie Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £3.59
      Your hole cards
    • A

cwaters Fold     
    50bar Fold     
    LARSON7 Raise  £0.12 £0.18 £3.65
    jxRaise  £0.20 £0.38 £10.47
    Smith8 Fold     
    soundie Fold     
    LARSON7 Call  £0.08 £0.46 £3.57
    Flop

• Q

LARSON7 Check     
    xBet  £0.23 £0.69 £10.24
    LARSON7 Call  £0.23 £0.92 £3.34
    Turn

LARSON7 Check     
    Bet  £0.69 £1.61 £9.55
    LARSON7 Raise  £2.42 £4.03 £0.92
    Call  £1.73 £5.76 £7.82
    River

LARSON7 All-in  £0.92 £6.68 £0.00
    xCall  £0.92 £7.60 £6.90
    LARSON7 Show
    • A

Show
    • K
    • K

LARSON7 Win Flush to the Ace £7.
  • edited May 2013
    The 3-bet isn't weak, it's just small. Usually when I see the min-3-bet I tend to think it's actually super-strong, in the absence of knowledge to the contrary.

I don't hate calling the 3-bet because it is so small and you have alot back. However you need to be sure not to stack off too light post-flop. So you're looking for two-pair or better. Obviously being out of position makes this a less profitable play but, if you give your opponent as strong a range as I would for this min-3-bet, your implied odds are improved.

The flop is fine if we've made the call pre-flop assuming that he has a narrow range. If we had him on a loose range, then the check-raise semi-bluff would probably be a better play because he's going to fold quite a few hands that have us beat and we have decent equity when he doesn't fold. Giving him a narrow range means he will rarely have a hand that we can force him to fold, so semi-bluffing will only lead to us getting it in as a dog. Check-calling seems fine as long as you think he'll pay you more on later streets. If you think he's going to fold his overpairs if a diamond hits, then we should be check-folding our flush draw because the paired board means we have only big reverse implied odds against a nut-peddler who gives up when draws hit. If this type of player puts more in when the diamond comes, it's probably because he's got a full house.

Check-raising the diamond turn sort of puts your hand face up. It's tough out of position to know how to get the most value after hitting because you don't want to just keep check-calling because he might just check back and cost you a street of value but if you take off when the flush hits, you risk losing two streets of value.

I think I'd prefer check-calling the turn, though. I think we're lucky that our opponent has the King of diamonds, otherwise it's an easy fold for him. By check-raising we've really narrowed down the hands he can continue with unless he's not too good. If we're giving him a pre-flop range of AA, KK, QQ and AK, then we force most of those to fold except the Kd and the QQ which are beating us. Obviously if his range is weaker than that, even more of his hands just fold.

I don't really know why you'd check-raise the turn and leave yourself so little back. I'm guessing you were just a bit excited and not really paying attention to that. lol

Most importantly of all, it should be "Too Loose?" with two 'o's. :)
  • edited May 2013
    Pre if you think opening ok calling the 3b prob ok. Being oop reduces your implied odds significantly

Flat flop seems fine depends on villain though. Against a straightforward 4nl villain I like flatting best

Turn tricky sometimes get value. If you are going to c/r make it smaller, if you want to make it that big just shove. It kinda turns your hand face up raising but that's prob ok at 4nl
  • edited May 2013
    played pretty well. raise turn smaller